“Beware: Too Hot! A/C troubles this summer”

Hampton Inn & Suites Williamsburg Historic District
Ranked #11 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed July 28, 2010

I am a repeat visitor at this hotel (HHonors Diamond), and have previously given aa "Very Good" review, as it a clean, safe and comfortable place to stay.
But this time I have given an "Average" rating due to the unbearable heat in the building during our stay. Apparently the air conditioning system has not been working properly during most of the month of July. True, it was 107F in Williamsburg during the day of our stay, but that still did not explain the extreme heat inside the hotel. It felt like 90+F in the common areas and hallways, especially on the upper floors. And our room never cooled down below 78F, even with the aircon set to 65F.
Our room was assigned on the four floor, where it seemed especially hot.
Once the HVAC system is working again I would give a "Very Good" rating again.
If you are visiting this summer (2010), I would confirm that the HVAC system is fixed before I would stay again on a hot day.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank global-engineer
Write a ReviewReviews (1,468)

Reviewed July 20, 2010

The Capitol Landing Hampton Inn and Suites in Williamsburg, Va, offers outstanding value for money: clean, spacious rooms; very comfortable beds; and great customer service. The breakfast area is spotlessly clean and the food selection plentiful and tasty. The breakfast staff are delightful and friendly.

Fresh cookies greeted us at check in, and tea and coffee are available round the clock. Sal's restaurant, about 2 minutes walk away, has good Italian food and is a great choice for families with young kids--excellent pizza and pasta in a casual family-friendly atmosphere.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dalry
Reviewed July 10, 2010

We were able to check in early. The day we checked in was 104 degrees outside. Our room we were first assigned had a bad ac so they moved us to the 4th floor. The room was nice and cool but the hallway and elevators were HOT!!!!!!!!!. I was in a full sweat by the time we got all of our stuff brought in. The room was the standard queen. It was spacious for the 4 of us. Room was exactly as described. One reason we chose this hotel was the free breakfast. Coming from a very poor continental breakfast at a different hotel I was pleasantly surprised. Wonderful variety and the staff extremely attentive (cleaning and helping). The children enjoyed the pool. We stayed three nights and really enjoyed our stay. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2010

This Hampton Inn is conveniently located to Colonial Williamsburg. The staff was friendly and accommodating. We tacked on extra night to our stay and they put us into a handicapped accessible room for the first night. The handicapped room was MASSIVE and the regular room seemed almost cramped by comparison. The staff moved our bags to our new room for us while we were out seeing the sites, so that was a nice touch.

The rooms were clean and comfortable. They had modern and relatively new appointments. I would have liked to have seen a flat screen TV in the room instead of the old tube sets that were in there but it wasn’t really a big deal.

My one complaint has nothing to do with the hotel itself but is more a product of the area. With Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown and Busch Gardens all within the area, kids were EVERYWHERE in this hotel. The pool was basically packed every time we looked. The “adult swim” is 10:00 PM to midnight (!) and wasn’t really enforced. There were even groups of tweens hanging out in the exercise room for no apparent reason. The hotel serves a complimentary hot breakfast with eggs, a meat, self-serve waffles, and the usual continental fair and the lobby basically becomes a mad house in the morning. There weren’t enough seats on both mornings around 8:00, so I would plan on getting their early. Also, the lines can be quite long since there are a few inconveniently placed waffle makers which make navigating the area difficult. I know it sounds like I am griping but I think it is important to know what you are in for.

All the above being stated, the rooms were comfortable and quiet. Just be prepared to fight your way through lots of families to use the other amenities.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Thurston_10
Reviewed July 5, 2010

You can't beat the price which includes breakfast. The rooms are clean. There is an indoor pool (small) and hot tub. Breakfast is hectic because there are a lot of people but the selection is fine. There is enough choice for everyone. For the reviewer who said it wasn't "historic district" its literally 2 minutes to the visitor center of Williamsburg. There are only a few hotels/motels actually in the Williamsburg village itself.

1/2 block away is Sal's Italian Pizzaria which is very good especially if you have young kids.

The hotel is convenient and clean. Not fance, but fine.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Mom016
Reviewed June 29, 2010

We arrived at the hotel at approx. 9:30pm after traveling most of the day. The gentleman at the front desk was very pleasant, and check in was super speedy. Because we had been traveling for days, I really wanted to do a little laundry before retiring for the evening. I asked about the facilities, and also asked if I could buy quarters for the machines. Very apologetically he told me that they were out of quarters, but should have some more in the morning. Went back to the room and had a super good sleep, as the rooms are very, very clean and comfortable. Actually the whole appearance of the hotel is that way. Very pleasant environment. Very early the next morning I went to the front desk, once again asking if they had quarters. I asked the young man at the desk if he had any quarters, and he said no. I asked when he thought they would have some, because I really wanted to do some laundry before heading out for a big day of sightseeing. He said he didn't know. I expressed my dissatisfaction (in a constructive way), and stated that I thought it was a little crazy that they have laundry facilities, but no change machine or change at the front desk. He then said very abruptly, "I don't know what to tell you, we don't have quarters". Well, perhaps another suggestion as to where I could get quarters could have been given. I even asked what he suggested, and he said that he "didn't know". By this time, he was getting a little irritated with me. Whatever happened to customer service? So, this hotel was wonderful, but all it took was one employee to make a bad impression. I know that this man was probably working the overnight shift and was waiting to finish his shift, but he really needs to read the part about being customer driven in the manual.

Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Suerok
GstSrvceMngr, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Williamsburg Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2010

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize again for the shortness from that particular staff member. That is not the standard of service that we hold here at our property. It's important to get feedback so things may be corrected. The individual is no longer with the company and I hope you will not let this isolated incident deter you from staying with us again.

Reviewed June 25, 2010

We returned home yesterday from a great stay. The hotel is less than five minutes from the historic area and the modern conveniences. You will need a car if you stay here. It isn't close enough to walk to the bus stops. The hotel was well staff and well maintained. The beds were very comfortable and most importantly...THE AIR CONDITIONER COULD FREEZE YOU (but only if you asked it to). It was 99% humitity with temperatures over 100 every day. That takes a very good air conditioner!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank OfficeEscapees

Thank you so much for the great review of our property! I just wanted to let you know that we do have a bus stop right outside the hotel on Capitol Landing Road. There are actually two within one block here on our street. I would drive regardless just because I wouldn't want to ride on the bus for 20-40 minutes when it is a 2 minute drive. I hope you will return and visit us again!