“Reasonable, clean and close to attractions” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Williamsburg Historic District

Hampton Inn & Suites Williamsburg Historic District
Ranked #9 of 75 Hotels in Williamsburg
New Jersey
“Reasonable, clean and close to attractions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2010

You can't beat the price which includes breakfast. The rooms are clean. There is an indoor pool (small) and hot tub. Breakfast is hectic because there are a lot of people but the selection is fine. There is enough choice for everyone. For the reviewer who said it wasn't "historic district" its literally 2 minutes to the visitor center of Williamsburg. There are only a few hotels/motels actually in the Williamsburg village itself.

1/2 block away is Sal's Italian Pizzaria which is very good especially if you have young kids.

The hotel is convenient and clean. Not fance, but fine.

1 Thank Mom016

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Finnish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2010

We arrived at the hotel at approx. 9:30pm after traveling most of the day. The gentleman at the front desk was very pleasant, and check in was super speedy. Because we had been traveling for days, I really wanted to do a little laundry before retiring for the evening. I asked about the facilities, and also asked if I could buy quarters for the machines. Very apologetically he told me that they were out of quarters, but should have some more in the morning. Went back to the room and had a super good sleep, as the rooms are very, very clean and comfortable. Actually the whole appearance of the hotel is that way. Very pleasant environment. Very early the next morning I went to the front desk, once again asking if they had quarters. I asked the young man at the desk if he had any quarters, and he said no. I asked when he thought they would have some, because I really wanted to do some laundry before heading out for a big day of sightseeing. He said he didn't know. I expressed my dissatisfaction (in a constructive way), and stated that I thought it was a little crazy that they have laundry facilities, but no change machine or change at the front desk. He then said very abruptly, "I don't know what to tell you, we don't have quarters". Well, perhaps another suggestion as to where I could get quarters could have been given. I even asked what he suggested, and he said that he "didn't know". By this time, he was getting a little irritated with me. Whatever happened to customer service? So, this hotel was wonderful, but all it took was one employee to make a bad impression. I know that this man was probably working the overnight shift and was waiting to finish his shift, but he really needs to read the part about being customer driven in the manual.

Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Suerok
GstSrvceMngr, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Williamsburg Historic District, responded to this review, July 1, 2010
Thank you for your feedback. I apologize again for the shortness from that particular staff member. That is not the standard of service that we hold here at our property. It's important to get feedback so things may be corrected. The individual is no longer with the company and I hope you will not let this isolated incident deter you from staying with us again.
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2010

We returned home yesterday from a great stay. The hotel is less than five minutes from the historic area and the modern conveniences. You will need a car if you stay here. It isn't close enough to walk to the bus stops. The hotel was well staff and well maintained. The beds were very comfortable and most importantly...THE AIR CONDITIONER COULD FREEZE YOU (but only if you asked it to). It was 99% humitity with temperatures over 100 every day. That takes a very good air conditioner!

1 Thank OfficeEscapees
Thank you so much for the great review of our property! I just wanted to let you know that we do have a bus stop right outside the hotel on Capitol Landing Road. There are actually two within one block here on our street. I would drive regardless just because I wouldn't want to ride on the bus for 20-40 minutes when it is a 2 minute drive. I hope you will return and visit us again!
Cincinnati
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2010

The Hotel was gorgeous and well maintained but there was no way this could be considered within walking distance of Historic Williamsburg. I don't know why they say it is the Historic District at all. It is off a main highway with a bunch of motels. It was driving distance to the welcome center where we parked and then walked to Historic Williamsburg. I had read a review saying this was on the edge of the Historic District but it was do-able. When I asked at the front desk what route to walk she said that she would not recommend trying to walk it because there are some major streets you would have to cross and it would not be safe. So, while the accomodations were fine, it is not anywhere near Historic Willamsburg. Do not stay here if your plan is to park and then walk everywhere.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank CincinnatiCeleste
The desk clerk misinformed you and I do apologize for that. We are less than .5 miles from the actual restored Historic Area. We have return guests that visit (especially in the fall) and take the walk to the area. If you plan on buying tickets then, yes, I would suggest driving to the visitor's center. But if you don't want them or have them already it is quite a nice short walk through a little neighborhood. Thank you for the review, your input is valued.
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2010

What can I say? We had a suite which just was an extra big room, not what I was expecting. We needed the space so it worked out EXCEPT they put us right by the ELEVATORS, yes, I said that correctly. It was super noisy at night, did not sleep well at all and kept saying they could not move us until the next night and next night, so never mind we stayed put. If at all possible do not stay near the elevator. Now that I have that out of the way, I cannot say enough of how clean it was or how yummy the breakfas was, or how my children loved the pool area.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2010

We stayed seven nights at the Hampton when we visited Williamsburg and the surrounding area at the end of April. The location of the hotel was very convenient to everything. The front desk staff members were excellent, so very helpful and friendly, especially Mario and Sal. They gave us suggestions for restaurants and maps to help us find them. Mario told us about the Mariners Museum in Newport News and it was a great place to visit. The hotel has a good breakfast and there are some hot items each day. The staff working the breakfast was also very nice and friendly, especially Pamella. We had a queen suite which included a sitting area with a couch and chair so we could relax each evening after a day of sight-seeing. We slept good each night on the comfortable mattress. When we return to Williamsburg, we will definitely stay at the Hampton Inn on Capitol Landing Road. We really enjoyed visiting this area during this time of year. The azaleas were in bloom, the weather was gorgeous and it was not at all crowded at the sites we visited.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SunnyIndiana
Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2010

I won't go on as much as I normnally would since the last few reviews sum it up nicely. Special shout-outs to Mario at the Front Desk who was very friendly and gave us the great tip on visiting the Mariner's Musuem in Newport News, and Pamela who was working the breakfast area each morning.

We stayed for seven nights from April 24 to May 1. No complaints about the hotel at all. And with the exception of just one day, the pool was very clean and warm (the one day it was bad I have to say it was it was very bad - like I didn't even want to go underwater bad - but it was back to normal by the next day so it's clearly not a pattern....)

The direction sheet found in the lobby was key since the roads are very confusing there. And take note that there is a SuperWalmart just up the interstate a couple miles, and a "Harris Teeter" (?) grocery store nearby.

Great hotel!!