“Food excellent, service a bit slow”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Fat Canary

Fat Canary
Reserve with OpenTable
Fat Canary is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 383 Restaurants in Williamsburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between Henry and Boundary Sts
Description: This high-energy bistro took over as Williamsburg's best restaurant as soon as it opened in 2003. The sophisticated but relaxed dining room has an open kitchen, which uses fresh, local ingredients for its creative American fare. The dining bar and seasonal outdoor patio seating are on a first come basis. Reservations for the dining room are recommended and may be made up to 2 months in advance. Open daily for dinner, a hostess is available during the day to take reservations.
Erie, Pennsylvania
“Food excellent, service a bit slow”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

We enjoyed this restaurant, food was wonderful, expensive, but worth it. My daughter ordered a desert she did not like, they were eager to make it right and readily exchanged it for another :)
Service was a bit slow, but we had the time to just enjoy conversation

Visited July 2013

Middletown, Virginia
“One of the best dinners I've had.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Don't miss the Fat Canary. Te staff is professional and the food is top notch. There were smoked tomatoes in the dish we had - amazing! The peas are freshly shelled. Very comfortable surroundings. It was outstanding.

• Visited July 2013
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

We had trouble getting a reservation in the dining room, but ended up sitting outside on the patio. It was great because it is in the heart of "modern" colonial Williamsburg, so the atmosphere and street watching were great. The food and service were outstanding. The duck and scallops were delicious. One of our best meals during our week stay.

Williamsburg, Virginia
“Top Pick of Locals”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

The Fat Canary is our top pick for local restaurants. We have been dining there since they opened ten years ago and have never been disappointed. The food is meticulously prepared with surprising "twists" that are unexpected but delightful. The serving staff is well trained, knowledgeable about the food and wines - attentive but not overbearing. My husband has some dietary concerns and there is never a problem accommodating special requests. Reservations are recommended as this place has established a regional reputation for foodies.

Here's a "local tip": If you arrive at 5 PM when they open, it's usually easy to get a seat at the bar for dinner. This is what we usually do. It's more casual and David, the bartender, will usually introduce you to some of the locals. It's always fun to chat with visitors, as well as the other locals who gather at the bar.

Chef Tom is creative and knows his flavors - spot-on! The best seafood in town is at the Fat Canary.

I hesitated to write this review because I wanted to be selfish and keep this fabulously good restaurant all to ourselves. But that's just not fair. Do yourself a favor and try it...You'll more than like it - you'll love it.

Independence, Missouri
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

We were in Williamsburg for a conference and a storm the day before had rendered our hotel powerless so we had to seek food elsewhere. We really lucked out. I strongly suggest you make a reservation and although I called ahead and was told there was no dress code, my husband in his shorts and me in my capris felt a tad bit uncomfortable. I had the rabbit appetizer and my husband had the tuna. We were both very happy. My husband had the lamb shank and he was overjoyed with his choice. I had the tenderloin and it was very good but I'm from Iowa so I can't say it's the best beef I've ever had. I didn't like the starch offered with my meal and was able to substitute with no problem and I like it when they'll accommodate your palate. Our server was very nice and it was just a wonderful, relaxing evening and to top it off, the power was back on in our hotel when we returned from our wonderful dinner!

1 Thank Linda E