“It is an awesome place to stay with kids.”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #20 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed October 8, 2009

My boyfriend and I went with my parents and sister and her family. It was a lot of fun. The hotel has a spa which was nice and relaxing. It was nice to have stuff to do when it was storming outside and all the outside activities were closed. The arcade is fun and the water park inside the hotel is fun too. They close down the big slides though. The restaurants are a bit expensive, so we didn't eat there, but there is another restaurant right at the exit that is worth going too. Decent prices and food is good. There is also a miniature golf course and pool outside, didn't get to do those either. Close to Busch Gardens, Colonial Williamsburg and Water Country USA.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed October 7, 2009

My husband and I went to college in Williamsburg, and when Great Wolf Lodge was built down there we never thought we would want to stay there--after all, there was so much else to do when visiting Williamsburg, and there are much less expensive hotels. But at the end of the summer we wanted to take our preschoolers on a last -mintute family-focused vacation, and we decided to give it a try. I was able to make the reservation only a couple of weeks before we left and it's only a little over 2 hours drive from the DC area. We stayed for 3 nights/4 days and decided to take advantage of all of what the resort had to offer. We went rock climbing, play mini golf, used the arcade, got ice cream at the cute in-house candy shop, played the Laser Quest, and spent hours at the water park. One of the highlights of the trip was letting the girls do the "pajama party" at the spa where they got kiddie pedicures, and my husband and I got a couple of hours to try out the adult slides at the water park. We went offsite for most meals (there is a Sonic less than a mile away from the hotel, and Pierce's Pitt BBQ is a great option right down the street), and then stayed at the resort most of the rest of the time. My kids can't wait to go back, and we look forward to having more family vacations there in the future. I highly recommend it for families looking to spend quality time together. There are lots of things that were age appropriate for my older preschoolers, but it also looked like the elementary age kids and preteens were having a great time there.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank photogalDC
Reviewed September 23, 2009

Great Wolf Lodge is, no doubt, heaven for children of all ages. The water park is awesome and we had a wonderful time. However, the food is TERRIBLE, especially the pool side restaurant. Additionally, beware parents of young toddlers, the walls are SO THIN that we could hear full conversations going on in the room next door. People walking above us sounded like elephants and of course, children are loud so it was difficult to get our toddler to sleep and stay asleep. It baffles me that a hotel for children would be so poorly put together!

Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
cfranklingw2005, General Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2009

FUN is the key ingredient of the Great Wolf Lodge experience. Our hope is that each of our guests have the opportunity to spend quality time together as a family. I can agree with you that the excitement of our children may be "loud" at times, but the way we see it, that's the way they let their families know they are enjoying their time together. Our team does enforce "hibernation hours" between 11pm-7am. Your comment on the food quality has been noted. Thanks for sharing your experience. We hope that you do choose to stay with us again soon.

Regards,

Tom Neely

Reviewed September 21, 2009

Very quick Check in at 5pm on Thursday Sept 17 to the Grizzly Bear Suite (4 Adults and 3 Kids ~ Ages 12, 9, 7). Room was spacious but sheets were a little rough and could have used some Downy. Staff was very helpful and nice. Waterpark had something for everyone...Lines to rides were also short, stayed until closing 9pm. Due to high food prices on site, ate dinner at Sonic and purchased microwave breakfast from Super Walmart (refrigerator and microwave in room). Check in lines on Sat were extremely long and waterpark became crowded. Left room at 11:30 am but stayed on premises until 3pm ~ had the option to stay until 9pm. Locker room available to shower and change . I would recommend visiting Great Wolf Lodge!

Reviewed September 16, 2009

Black mold growing on the rim of the sink and around the bathtub, filthy sticky carpet, musty odor. Room was tidy but not clean. Staff was far from concerned. Overheard other guests comment about the musty odor and lack of cleanliness. Mold also growing on stairs to waterslide. Need I say more. Only redeeming qualities- water park was fun and lifeguards are the best I've seen. Overall- will not be back and do not recommend. Did not get value equal to dollars spent.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank vaycay100
Reviewed September 12, 2009

If you don't have kids, don't go here. There is really nothing for adults to do. My wife and I thought there would be fun awaiting at the water park, but all the water attractions were geared toward kids and people with kids. Despite perfect weather, the outdoor pool was closed. Also, about that room... The beds were horribly uncomfortable. The mattresses sagged in the middle and it was nearly impossible to sleep without sliding into the ditch in the middle of the bed.

We were bored and couldn't sleep. We nearly left the first night.

Also, this place is huge. Don't stay here if you aren't in the mood to walk miles to get to the elevator and any other place you might want to go.

Given the amount of money this stay cost, you would think that it would be better. But it's not.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrRob
Reviewed September 10, 2009

Well, what can I say...this was one of the worst trips of my life. The indoor water park is Ok. My friend and her toddler, and me, my husband and our toddler. The kids had a fun time...but they were the only one's. Within an hour of being at the park, my husband, a 6"4' 200 lb man in good condition when on the boogie board/surf ride, along with me, and other young children. Before going on this ride he asked the lifeguard, how to engage the waves. She told him exactly what to do. Well, he hit his thigh on an uncovered hard plastic lip. Suffice it to say, we then spent the rest of the afternoon and evening at the emergency room. Long story short, my husband tore his ACL tendon in his knee and fractured a bone in his thigh!!! He left the EMS room on crutches and a soft leg cast, only after being incorrectly diagnosed with a tear in his quad. tendon. The next day we ventured down for the breakfast before leaving. Husband on crutches and cast, the waiter said..."let me guess, you went on the surfing ride..." OMG is all I have to say...that means others have gotten hurt. We went to the front desk to speak to a manager about refunding us for the stay. Again, he is standing there on crutches and a cast, and we waited for over 20 min. for the manager to acknowledge us. The would not credit us anything at that time. The total cost for an OVERNIGHT for 3 adults was over $550!!!!! SO NOT WORTH IT. My husband had to have surgery to repair his knee, and is is physical therapy...and we can't get anyone to return calls in an effort to get them to pay for his out of pocket expenses for the surgery, co-pays and such! They should be kissing our butts for not suing the pants off them...I guess that's where we should take it, as he still can't walk, bend his knee and it's now almost 2 months later. Our summer was ruined! I wouldn't go back there if they gave it to me for free! It's not all that! Certainly not worth the money...as the little one's could really only use a couple of the features of the park anyway! We could have stayed at our pool for free, and not gotten crippled! I would not recommend this place to an ememy!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family