“Quite possibly my last GWL trip”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #20 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We went to GWL last summer and had a great time, so we went again and took guests from home. This is spring break, so the discounts were not as good. Paid close to $500 for one night in a loft suite for 6 people.
The water park itself was ok. The kids enjoyed it and I guess that's what's important. There seemed to be an issue top to bottom with keeping the location clean this time. We arrived around 5 and went straight to the water park. There were plenty of empty tables and chairs, but everywhere you looked, there was trash and/or half eaten food. Now, yes, the guests should have cleaned up after themselves, but they didn't so we sat with pizza on the ground near our table and those around us for 3 1/2 hours without anyone ever cleaning up anything. This should have been an omen of things to come.
Our room was spacious. That is probably the best thing I can say about it. For $500, I expect a super clean room.
The shower and floor in the downstairs bathroom still had hair from the previous guests as did the sink upstairs. There was 1/2 of a drink that didn't belong to us still in the refrigerator when we arrived as well. The kicker though came at 11pm when I started to bed and realized there were - TOENAIL CLIPPINGS - from the previous guest on the floor by my bed upstairs!!!
Now, it was 11pm and the 4 kids downstairs were sleeping, so I wasn't gonna call housekeeping to come vacuum, but I nearly threw up! Hair and someone else's nail clippings are 2 things that seriously gross me out! My sweet fiancé sent me downstairs while he took care of it so we could go to sleep, but that alone was enough for me not to go back again.
The rest of the room simply seemed neglected. The light cord on the light by my bed was not properly screwed into the base of the lamp - it was hanging down. There was loose screw dangling from the show faucet. The shower has a very slow drain....just little thinks that should be taken care of by maintenance on a regular basis.
Overall, I just wasn't impressed on this trip - and the nail clipping thing alone lets me know they don't vacuum....just gross. I definitely wouldn't ever pay that kind of money for a room that disgusting again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Mary T
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Williamsburg! I am sorry to hear of the issues you had with the overall cleanliness of your room and the waterpark. I will pass along your feedback to our teams in Williamsburg so we can work on improving for future visits.

Whenever there are maintenance issues with the room, please bring it to our attention as soon as possible so we can fix them in a timely manner. We are only able to fix an issue when it is made aware to us and we want to ensure our guests enjoy their entire stay.

We hope you will stay with us again soon!

Jason
Great Wolf Guest Relations

There are newer reviews for Great Wolf Lodge

Reviewed April 8, 2014

I am happy to report that the resort was much better than the reviews had me expecting. There was a line to check in and it took about 15 minutes to check in. Our room was ready (it was around 230) so that was excellent. We immediately checked out the room, got changed and went to the water park. The water park is definitely the best part of the resort although it was a bit chilly. The water had my 18 month old a bit cold so we needed a couple warm up breaks. We left the resort to eat as prices are high for food there. Even the Duncin donuts had like a 50% markup. I would definitely recommend bringing food and drinks. Overall we had a great time and would go back! There looked to be lots of activities keep kids entertained for hours. Definitely a kids resort but my husband and I had fun too!

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank eggsmommy
Reviewed April 6, 2014

We finally saved up enough money to take our family of 5 to Great Wolf. We heard such great reviews and felt we needed to go before the kids were too old to want to anymore. Check in was smooth. Pleasant staff. The resort is enticing to both adults and children. Décor is fun. That's where the positive ends. Got into room only to notice first the safe is locked and cannot be opened. Not a big deal. They came up to fix but could not. It took over an hour and a half to open this safe. They will not come into your room without you there we were told, so we had to wait the hour and a half before venturing out. There were dirty diapers shoved inside the safe which we did not notice, nor did the man who fixed the safe, until we were leaving and opened the safe for the first time since putting our stuff in. The smell is indescribable. I had to throw out my wallet and my husbands wallet, it took days to wash the smell out of the ipad case and the camera case. The camera still smells. Spoke to staff about it and they offered to do nothing except they would "look" into it. The drape rod was filled with dust that you could see when sitting on the couch. There were empty candy wrappers under the bed. In the bunk area there was some kind of goo on the wall. All these things just lead me to believe the house keeping really is not doing their job. It was gross. The diapers were the icing on the cake and I was pissed off. They just tried to keep me quiet, I guess not to have anyone hear and said they would look into it. The food is below mediocre and the buffet is not replenished. It is over priced as well. The 4d experience only has 4 seats, so all of can not go in at the same time. The smell in the pool area is unbearable and although this is not the resorts fault, 3 children pooped in the water while we were there. This is gross people. Put swim diapers on your kids. I doubt I will ever go back. It is overpriced and unclean. Coco key is a better bang for the buck and much closer to home.

1  Thank lauramE3694BS
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Clean rooms and balcony. The rooms were very well taken care of i think next time we r coming in summer to get to use outside part as well. The events were great and free while you are there face painting story time all the little stuff was great for my kids. I would definitely recommend this place for small kids all the way up to teenagers. The money to me was well worth it. My favorite part was they let my 6 yr old ride the very big slide when u go to water country there is a height limit and they had none at the lodge.

Room Tip: I would choose a room at the end of the hall so u cant hear all the other doors opening and closing.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Fun waterpark, especially the Tornado. Very impressed by the lifeguards and their "active" style - they don't just sit there - they seem very focused on safety. Room was nice - food a bit overpriced, but there is a Walmart around the corner if you want to get some "necessities" esp for breakfast or lunch.

Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights in March. The water park and activities were great for our 4year old and the rest of the family. We didn't do the arcade.

I wish there was a playground outside, the water park is fine but little ones need to burn energy!

Overall, it's a little run down our room was in desperate need of a paint job. However, the bed seemed brand new and was very comfortable. There was wifi in the room (free) so that was handy.

The restaurants seemed expensive so we bought groceries for breakfast. We bought coffee at the Dunkin in the hotel since the room coffee was weak. There is a Walmart close by and a Food Lion in Williamsburg.

Overall it was fine for being a kids resort. Don't expect Disney and you'll be fine.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank goofy_chick98
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We had a great trip, I have avoided the hotel based on ratings and finally decided to go since a group of friends were going for Spring Break. Stayed in building 2 and the room appeared to be updated and beds were comfortable. The staff was friendly, checkin and out was quick, I did arrive after the normal checkin time though. I spent 4 hours in the water park sitting while the kids played and although you do smell the chlorine it was not over powering as some say nor was I too hot. Some complained of the pricing however I found it to be typical for this type of venue. Bowling was 5 per person per game, large cheese pizza $14, arcade games were from 1 to 6 points, Dunkin Donuts had no mark up. I did not eat at the buffet since it did not look appealing, kids had breakfast buffet for $6 each though. Quest game which they played for hours $27 for 2. Vending machines were a little pricey but they always are with bottle water and sodas for 2.50. We stayed during the week and the water park closed at 8 so I thought that was a little early since this is what they are know for, also there is no room service but you can stock a few items in your room since there is a fridge and microwave. Location is great within 3 minutes of Walmart , fast food and a BBQ location with the best burgers (Pierce). My boys are 7 &10 and loved every minute of our stay, this was our first indoor water park experience and it was a good one.

Room Tip: Try the boogie board after hours if your kids like it during the day, 20 dollars and they only allow...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family