“Interesting”

Ranked #18 of 75 Hotels in Williamsburg
Arlington, Virginia
“Interesting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

The idea of the hotel is very interesting, because is possible to enjoy a water park indoors, even in the winter. They have more attractions besides this, the problem is, those attractions, as magiquest, or even the huge arcade room they have are expensive. I went there with 3 kids and their mother and they closed the park one hour before, without warning. We arrived there hoping to take the kids there for at least one hour, and the park was already closed (they gave us free breakfast because of that, but still annoying), forcing us to take the kids to play games and spend more money. They had fun, but wasn't the expected.
The room was big (one double bed and sofabed in the main area and a bunk bed plus single bed in the kids area) and comfortable (not so much the sofabed). One bathroom and a sink in the entrance hall.
If I could change something, I'd take the carpet out of the public areas. Pool + water + carpet everywhere don't match!!
The breakfast at the restaurant is very diverse and tasteful. I loved it!
They have also a Dunkin Donuts store right by the reception desk, which is a great option for breakfast.
As I said, they have extra games in the mainstreet and stores for everybody (still very expensive).
The water park in fun and wasn't so crowded, for a Friday, but probably gets full in the weekends. It's better for older kids (after 6 yo), because they can go in all the rides.

1 Thank Jessleandro

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Vienna, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

We won't be coming back to GWL. I decided to book a short trip for the 3 of us (wife plus 6 year old boy) and was surprised to see how expensive it was. However, it did include the waterpark so we splashed out - excuse the pun - on 2 nights. Arrival was carnage. Not enough people manning the desk and it remained this way until the early evening after we came out of the pool around 7pm. The place is just shabby and tired. Rooms are themed to be (sort of) woodland but that simply masks the fact that the place is in need of a makeover. Peeling wallpaper, furniture that's beaten up and beds that need new matresses (I know, it's a 'kids' resort but don't charge $300+ per room then). And my goodness, the walls are paper thin! I felt at one point that all the people in the rooms above, below and to the side were coming through the walls when they were probably just walking around. We bought the food voucher to have breakfast each day in the restaurant. It was very poor quality. French toast and pancakes that had been cooked for so long they were solid; likewise the sausage patties. It was just really low quality and the coffee - ughhh! No wonder there was such a line at Dunkin'. The water park was fine (no more than I expected - it was the main feature after all) and I liked the convenience of being able to link my wristband to my credit card but even with a modest amount of purchases (snacks, food, arcade etc) we ended up spending over $1000 total for 2 nights. Never again!

Room Tip: Ask to stay as far away as possible from the check in desk and on the top floor. This will limit th...
3 Thank Adrian O
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience and for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Williamsburg! We greatly appreciate the feedback we receive from our guests and I will share this information with our team in Williamsburg.

During peak times we see higher volume and this can lead to increases in the time it takes to check-in, but our Guest Services team works tirelessly to provide exceptional guest service to each and every guest that comes to the desk. Our veteran guests have found it better to arrive anywhere from 1:00pm to 2:00pm to avoid the busier times of day, such as 4:00pm to 7:00pm when most guests are arriving for the night.

Another tip we often give is to have just one person standing in line to check-in and the rest of the family begin enjoying the various activities and amenities we offer. This helps keep the length of the line to a minimum and makes it much easier for guests to check-in.

I hope this information will help you if you choose to visit us again.

Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

This was our second trip to GWL. We live about 45 minutes away and wanted a break from the yucky weather, this was the perfect place for a short trip. We booked a family suite that had two queen beds. The room was spacious and clean. During our last trip our room was really musty but we didn't have that problem this trip...maybe it's the time of year/humidity issue? The kids had a blast at the water park. We ordered pizza from Hungry like a Wolf and it was very good. A large cheese pizza is $11.99 so not a bad price compared to some of the other options within the resort. Drinks are very expensive! We had a cooler in our room with water/soda/milk. We also ate breakfast at the Loose Moose and although it is very pricey it was good, plenty of options! My toddler was pleased that they had chicken tenders for breakfast! They have also added a Dunkin Donuts which was perfect for grabbing a small sweet treat for the kids! My only complaint, if you want to call it that, is we had friends staying at the resort and requested rooms near each other. We were told at check in we were 5 rooms apart in the same wing, but that wasn't true. Our friends ended up being on the opposite side of the resort! So I'm not sure if she just didn't realize they weren't in the same wing or what but it was a little disappointing. Regardless we had a great trip and the kids had a blast!

2 Thank Beachgirl025
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

Knowing ahead of time to take advantage of the water park at 1p the day you arrive is helpful. (Don't expect to get into your room at this time, but if you do it's a perk.). The waterpark is fun. The lifeguards are very professional and apt. The bathrooms get gross, but the staff seemed to monitor them often.

If this place is always busy, which it sounds like it is, there really should be more than 3 workers to check you in. I couldn't do online check in because but I sure hope to be able to next time!

I do appreciate the stools in the bathrooms and the kid friendly atmosphere. I just think the hotel itself is lucky the waterpark is so great. The hotel itself wouldn't do well without it.

Stayed March 2014
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

GWL is a great family friendly resort. I just wish they made it more affordable. The hotel is expensive enough and then for 2 kids to play Magiquest it was $80 and the spa/manicure is $75 for little girl. If they cut the price in half and saved the robes it would be so much more affordable for other people to participate and they would probably double the price. When you can get the same thing at home for $10 it doesnt make sense to pay $75 but its hard to justify to my little one that the cost is outrageous for something that may last a few hours after swimming all day. I strongly recommend they redo the pricing to make it more affordable for all families to participate in all the activities not just those that are well off. Its a sacrifice enough just to stay there for a few nights. The kids activities are great they are just super expensive. And the beds were not comfortable at all.

Room Tip: The themed rooms are great but they do cost you at least $50 more a night. 2 nights thats an extra...
2 Thank Connie C
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Williamsburg and voicing your concerns! We appreciate the feedback we receive from our guests because it keeps us informed of how we are doing, along with how we can improve. I will share your feedback with our team in Williamsburg so they can review it.

As a valued guest, you will receive exclusive repeat guest discounts directly to your e-mail that you can use to make a return trip more affordable.

We hope to see your family again soon!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

These are very pricey rooms. Discounts rates can easily be found, but they seem to limit the number of guests (6). We called Great Wolf directly to see what was available and they tried to sell us a room at double the price of the advertised deal. We finally found a good rate on Expedia so we booked.

The room had a broken microwave and safe. Both were reported, and no one ever came to address the problem during our two day stay. This was extremely inconvenient and caused us extra expense due to not being able to heat up food we had.

The room we were in had seen better days. Peeling wallpaper in the kids sleeping area, for one.

The waterpark itself is very nice and the kids had a great time. The staff we encountered at the stores, restaurant and park were all friendly and helpful. The only problem we had with staff was when we were checking out and brought it to the employees attention that we didn't have a safe or microwave the entire stay, it was brushed aside. I really did expect a sincere apology and perhaps a token discount on the room? Oh, well.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Susan R
Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Williamsburg and for sharing your feedback on the status of your room! We greatly appreciate your concerns and I apologize if you feel you were not taken seriously.

I understand where you are coming from regarding room rates, but as you have said, we offer discounts throughout the year. For all of the suite styles we offer, four waterpark passes come included automatically, and the room rate is adjusted to include room and waterpark access for each additional occupant.

I hope you will return to stay with us again soon!

Haddonfield, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

We visited the GWL in Williamsburg with some friends. We have 4 children, and they have 3. Our kids loved the water park, the arcade, the restaurants, and the MagiQuest. Overall, we had a fun time and our kids can't wait to go back.

For as much as this vacation cost, I was disappointed with the rooms. The walls are starting to show wear and tear, the carpeting is not padded at all, and the bed linens left a lot to be desired. There was no comforter really at all, just a few layers of sheets.

Be prepared to pay a pretty penny just to get in the door, and then much more as everything is a la carte. My kids were so excited to do the MagiQuest. When we entered the little shop, we asked the employee how much it costs for the adventure. She told us that each child needs to pick out a wand for $17. So, I was expecting about $60 for my 3 kids that were planning to participate. When we got to the register, another employee stated that my total came to $100! She told me that we had to pay not only for the wand, but also for "playing the game."

The GWL is much like Disney in that you will pay exorbitant amounts of money for the activities you choose. I like both the GWL and Disney, but I think this price point was a bit excessive for a weekend adventure.

4 Thank AckGirl74
Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Williamsburg! We love providing many different activities families can enjoy beyond just the waterpark.

Thank you for sharing your concerns on the state of your suite. We will review this feedback to determine the best course of action going forward.

I know how important it is to make the most of your money, especially when you’re on vacation. We offer a package that includes all of the items you could possibly need to play MagiQuest and this is our Magi-Cal package. You can purchase just one package and your children can work together to share the experience!

We also send exclusive repeat guest discounts via e-mail that you can take advantage of to make a return trip more affordable. If you choose to add any of our bundled packages during your reservation, you will not pay for them until you arrive! This allows our guests to plan their stay in advance and set a budget before they walk through our doors.

I hope these tips will help you when planning a return trip!