“Good time”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #20 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Food was expensive,,but that's expected!! Shocked at the safety level of the life guards!! Amazing!! Ever vigilant!! Received a room upgrade to the loft,,loved it!! Daughter loved the wizard game!!
It is a place for kids so,, if u r looking for relaxing peace and quiet this is not the place for you!!

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank nlhrn

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We went for 6 days over the Christmas holiday, which was a bit too much time. Had fun but 4 days probably would have been just about perfect. The Magiquest game was a hit as usual and the new Compasquest was also fun. Waterpark is great -- would be really cool if they could figure out how to add new attractions for folks that are repeat customers. Staff friendly. Check-in and check-out is a bit of a zoo. Food is over priced but that's to be expected. There are lots of carry-out options at the nearby strip mall. It's a fun time. Not too far away.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Andrews_Mommy
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Fun place if you have children. The cost for a room is high but you do get the water park as part of the cost of the room. There are several size rooms to choose from.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

It's a hotel for families. Lots of kidcentric activities, and our 12 year old loved it.

He loves the Magiquest, has played it at other locations. They also have Compassquest, which if you go for that as a returning Magi, gives you the reactivation of your Magiquest wand as well. Two games for the price of one. And he played the hell out of it.

Between that and the waterpark, mom and dad had quiet time together. Naps, get a massage, do some outlet shopping nearby, you get the idea.

Things they could improve on:

On check in, they were serving one lady ahead of us. 15 minutes later, and who knows how many staff passing through, we still hadn't been served. When we were, the staff were... really tired for 2pm. Up beat wasn't happening.

Room wasn't ready, okay, they'll call our cell. The problem with that business plan? Dead zone for ATT and TMobile. So, once you realize this fatal flaw in the program, you get to keep using the housephone to call in and ask if your room is ready. This is a known problem, and yet that's what they continue doing. Fail.

The food. As a soldier of over 25 years, and having business in prisons, I've eaten a lot of institution food. I can tell you this based on knowledge and experience: soldiers and prisoners eat better. MRE's are waaaaay better. I'm no foodie, hell, I like McD's, so if I'm saying bring food or eat elsewhere... take the hint. This is where this business fails to meet the otherwise effective operation standards shown in the rest of the building.

This is a good place, your kids will have fun. Lots of awesome places to eat in the area, too.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Drif10
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Our kids are perfect age for GWL and they love it. We continue to return because the service continues to excel, the park remains VERY safe (their lifeguards are the best I've ever seen), and the people who work there genuinely care.

This last visit, we goofed on our reservation. Instead of the date we wanted we chose a date one month prior. But we didn't realize our error until we printed our confirmation page on the day of the trip! Oops!

I contacted the hotel, they generously offered to apply my "no show" fee to a new booking and the almost-fully-booked hotel found a room for us. No haggling, no negotiating, and they really didn't have to do what they did for us.

We didn't have the mildew problems previously commented upon, but the dehumidifier was in the room so I guess there could have been some humidity issues in the past. We were in room 3050.

If you have kids, I highly recommend them for a visit. The Williamsburg location has the added value of great history in Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestown plus Busch Gardens. If you're traveling from afar, that's a lot of stuff to do including the water park and other amenities GWL has.

Room Tip: If you have sensitive sleepers, request a 4th floor room far away from the water park. Some kids lik...
1  Thank hsctiger93
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Had a disapointing trip last year but the new manager responded to my review and went out of her way to make this stay different. She has made a lot of improvement to the place and is still working on things but overall, this trip was great and I will definately go back again.
Got the Grizzly Bear suite this time and enjoyed it much more than the Kids Cabin I got last year, tons of room and a private bath and bedroom for mom! It was clean and well stocked. Maid service was greatly improved as well. Had dinner and breakfast at buffet and yes it is pricey for the adults and drinks are way to expensive but the food was good and it was a great selection so everyone came away full and happy.
Of course the water park was a blast as always, lines were not too long. I was greatly impressed to witness a lifeguard supervisor place a doll in the water that looked like a small child as a test for the lifeguards. the young man spotted it immediately and jumped in and rescued the doll within seconds of seeing it. You can see safety is a high priority for them throughout the resort. We tried the spa, that was a great experience and the prices were competitive with spas where I live.
Bowling was a blast and so was the X-D Theatre. There is tons to do beside the water park, it does cost but then when you think about the fact that you never have to leave and drive anywhere, it is worth it.
Again, take snacks, sandwich makings, water and such and you can save $$$. The super Wal-mart is right around the corner and makes it convienent to pick those items up.
The staff is super friendly, had one buffet hostess at breakfast on Sunday who was having a bad day but other than her, everyone else was super nice and went out of their way to be pleasant and helpful.
This time around I had my credit card linked to my wristband and that made life easier, not having to carry my wallet everywhere. They emailed my invoice to me the day of departure so I could see my charges before checking out.
I saw a lot of improvements and was very pleased with the new manager Angie Brown, she is truly keeping her word in making the resort a great place to stay.
We left exhausted but oh so happy. the kids are still talking about it.

Room Tip: had a problem with room overhead they sounded like a herd of elephants but one quick call to the fro...
3  Thank Amy D
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Based on the amount of money that a family spends for a trip to GWL, I would expect that the room be very clean and not have mildew present in the bathroom. We stayed in room 3033 and there was a dehumidifier in the room when we arrived to help with that issue though. There was mildew present on the bathroom ceiling but the room did not have any odor. The carpet had some stains on it that could have easily been removed before we arrived. We were well away from the waterpark but it was still noisy at night. Sometimes sounded like kids were dropping bowling balls on the floor above around midnight. That is pretty much expected when you are staying at a place like this.
This was our second visit to the GWL in Williamsburg, VA and we would go back again. The waterpark is great for adults and kids. Our son is 3.5 and is able to ride everything except for The Howling Tornado. He absolutely loves going and never wants to leave. The "mini" bowling alley is never very busy but is tons of evening fun for the whole family also. I would recommend it to everyone.
The staff is very friendly and welcoming.
I would also recommend that families either bring their own food or travel away from GWL to one of the many restaurants within about 10 minutes. Buy a case of water at Wal-Mart, which is about 1/2 mile away for less than they will sell one water to you at GWL. The GWL buffet is good but it is VERY pricey.