“Kids had fun...not as nice as I thought” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #21 of 80 Hotels in Williamsburg
Leesburg, VA
“Kids had fun...not as nice as I thought”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We went to this resort after my mom recommended it since it had a lot of kid activities. The Pros- Nice waterpark, lots of activities, friendly staff. The Con's - Our "famiy suite" (which amounted to a "glorified" hotel room was unclean (I actually saw some stains on the curtains and carpet, eck!) The room was dark so I had to turn on all the lights.... it still felt dark. The storytime (while a nice idea) seemed chaotic by the constant noise and traffic of the other guests going through out lobby. I understand that I was paying for the amenities, but given the condition of my room, I thought I'd overpaid (I even paid the discount rate). I've stayed in nicer Marriott resorts for a lot less....I'm not sure if I'd come back, I probably would if they do some major upgrades to the room or lowered their nightly room rate. I didn't have a terrible time here, and I don't consider myself real picky when it comes to hotel rooms since I only use them to rest my head, but I still felt like I got ripped off...big time. if you do decide to go, make sure you get a discount rate, otherwise you will probably feel like you got robbed.

• 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank GMUgrad05

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for a one night, two day experience for about $550 for 6 people (includes food, Magi-Quest, manicure for me and arcade time). It was a lot of fun - we had 3 adults and 3 kids ages 11-14. The water park is amazing and has areas for toddlers thru teens! The Magi-quest is fun and we could let the kids go around without us on their tail. The kids had a blast. The food is expensive, so we brought our own breakfast and snacks and ordered in Chinese for dinner (a lot of the restaurants deliver). Each room has a fridge and microwave, so this worked out well. We did have pizza and salad on-site for lunch..they have a family meal deal that includes the soda and salad. If you want your kids to eat fruit you will need to bring it with you. It was a great time, and the 1 night, 2 day stay was perfect for us. This would combine well with a camping trip (nice to get a change from a hotel) or a family visit (nice to get a break from the group). It would also work well as part of a longer trip to the area..there is a lot of great history to see here!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank StaceyB757
solomons
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

So I walk into The Wolf Lodge getting ready to spend over $300 a night and I am standing in line with no one in front of me, two available desk clerks who completely ignore me for at least 5 mins until I finally go up and say are you available b/c you did not even acknowledge me where the clerk said ohh. No apology, no smile!!! We leave our bags with the bell hop who is semi nice with no friendly welcome. We are now in our room which again I add we have spent good money for to find a bathroom so small you can't shut the door unless in already and a tv from the 1990's. In general, my family and I do not feel welcomed at all and feel our accommodations would be ten times better at the Holiday Inn. The only smile we have received is from the Bartender Laura who was pleasant and the wings were marginally good.

Room Tip: Stay in a room with a balcony so you can jump out!
6 Thank vkolterjahn
Stevensville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

A stay here won't come cheap, though there are deals out there, but your kids will love it. 7 of us spent one night, staying in the Loft room. It slept 4 adults and 3 kids under 10 comfortably. It was a nice diversion from the winter blahs. Service overall from the mostly young staff was very good from everyone we encountered.

We got in early, around noon for a 4pm check-in. They issued our bands and other check-in items on the spot and allowed us to enter the waterpark prior to receiving our room, which was great. Our room was ready about 3:30pm on a busy weekend, which worked for us.

The waterpark was packed around noon and finding a table for all of us was a challenge, but it worked out. The park is mostly geared for kids, though there is a hot-tub area for adults, and a few of the tubes move at good speeds so adults will enjoy it. We all had a good time, though the chlorine smell seemed excessive and the humidity inside was fairly intense, at least initially. Lifeguards were very attentive. There's a snack bar (with adult drinks) inside the pool area.

There is a bowling alley, crafts station, movie theater, arcade, a MagiQuest game for older kids on site ... a lot of activities for all ages. But they are packed at times, and all come at a cost. Be prepared to spend $$$. The elevator operating was brutal - it was slow, and broke a few times during our stay. As the property requires up/down movement, this proved to be a hassle, particularly with older persons in our party. There's not much that can be done here, but the property would do well to investigate ways to improve the movement/flow aspect around the center of the lodge.

We ate at the buffet and it was passable; basically, you are paying for the convenience. $19.99 for adults and $9.99 for kids 3-10 ... not sure there was value there, but they do offer the Happy Hour specials for adults inside the buffet. Basically your only other option on site is the Pizza Hut Express, which seemed to be the option most chose.

As mentioned, the room was great for 7 folks. The only drawbacks ... the AC/heating system seemed inadequate (we had to use the AC during the winter??) and the lighting in the bathroom was barely more than a nightlight. The cleaning folks missed towels hanging on the door from the previous guests, but that's not too much of a big deal. Beds were ok, pullout sofa worked well for the kids.

Bottom line - kids will love the park, adults won't be disappointed, but it will come at cost. Our room was roughly $500 for 7 people. If you factor in that the water park is "free" with the room ... and assuming that each water park ticket could cost $30/$40 or more per person at a regular water park ... we figured half the price of the room was for the water park. Not sure we could entertain ourselves for more than 2 nights, but ... a good time was had by all. Good for an escape from the cold winter days.

Delmar, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We have absolutely loved every trip we've take to Great Wolf Lodge. The kids LOVE the waterpark, obviously...but MagiQuest is certainly a favorite too. My son could spend hours in the arcade, and my daughter adores the special treatment at Scoops Spa. We make it a point to visit at least once every year, and are anxious for our next trip. We've stayed in the family suites, loft fireplace suites and Grizzly suites, and have found each of them to be clean and spacious.
We shared the Grizzly suite with my best friend and her family...and there was plenty of room for all 7 of us. I highly recommend this property. So much to do...you never have to leave...and why would you want to?

Room Tip: Ground floor is a great location to hit the waterpark, spa, arcade, bowling alley and sweet shop.
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

My family and I visited recently. There were 8 of us, 5 adults and 3 children. We have been there several times before and always have a good time. We reserved the Grizzly Bear suite which sleeps between 6-8. It has two bedrooms, one with a queen bed and private bathroom, one with two queen size beds and a sleep sofa. The main bathroom is large and the kitchinette is nice. It has a refrigerator and microwave, sink and counter space. It is nice if you want to bring cereal, etc. for breakfast or things for lunch. The room has a fireplace and balcony or patio.

The waterpark is large and clean. We rented a cabana for one day as the Ravens/Redskins Football game was being played and my family are diehard Ravens Fans (they lost!). The cabana had a flat screen TV, a refrigerator stocked with soda and water, a table with chairs and two deck chairs. It was a little pricey but the family did not have to miss the game and the kids always knew where everyone was.

The food there is a little pricey with the exception of the Pizza Hut and the Hungry As a Wolf Pizza. We had the Hungry As A Wolf Pizza. The large was only $11.99! It was very good. There are plenty of other restaurants close by. Jungle Jims is on the property and just a few miles away is Red Lobster, Olive Garden, etc.

I think my husband had more fun than the grandkids! He went on every slide and did it all.

If you want a fun trip for the whole family, visit The Great Wolf Lodge.

Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Wow, it's hard to really put in to words my conflicted emotions about Great Wolf Lodge. I heard a lot of good things and it was always really out of my price range when I wanted to go, but my wife bought a half-price coupon for a one night stay over a Sunday night and we had our 6 and 8 year old kids skip school on Monday.

I guess you have to go in the with the same expectations for any theme park, with the overcrowding, marginal food and sticker shock prices. We thought arriving on a Sunday night during school season would be an antidote to crowds, but it looks like lots of families showed up with Groupon and Living Social coupons waving in their hands. Arriving at 2 pm is like hitting the highway on rush hour, not good for anyone - leaving or arriving. The entrance was jammed with double-parked cars trying to load and leave, while those arriving had nowhere to park or unload. I was dropped off and went in to check-in, snaking through the lobby cluttered with people coming, going, waiting - all while overly loud music pumped out. There was a John Locke-looking (from Lost) gentleman helping out on the main floor who was the nicest person I met my entire stay.

So, you "check-in" but your room is not available, because as I was told, they were flipping 325 rooms that day. So, you get your wristbands, slip on your suit and hit the waterpark and they will call you on your cell when your room is ready... SO: have a separate bag of just suits and stuff for the kids.

The water park at 3:00 pm looks like some post-apocalyptic disaster zone... hundreds of damp, discarded towels draped over chairs and tables, half-eaten and half drank food and drinks littered across the place, pizza boxes on the floor. Oh my! It's hard to discern where you can stake your own claim to a chair... It's like the neighborhood pool where everyone shows up and puts there stuff on chairs and goes off about there business... but where can you sit if you want to sit?

The desk calls and your room is available; you parked far away... do you leave the kids, someone stay, haul your stuff in by yourself?? The room is freshly cleaned, so clean that it smells like a chemical cesspool. I opened the sliding glass door for some fresh air, changed and headed back down.

So. there's a few great slides that you need inner tubes for, and they are all used, probably all of the time... how do you get one? everyone keeps asking "are you done?" when you get off the slides... The lines for the big rides are pretty long... circling up steps... give you an opportunity to see discarded gum in high places and dust and dirt on all the places they can't reach.

We went off campus to dinner at Pierces BBQ, which is a good value for the money. In the evening, we wandered around, spent $16 for 3 ice creams and another $20 or so in the arcade, which was fun and a relatively good deal. We didn't bother cashing in our tickets, who needs another superball?

The room: I think it's a dehumidifier, not sure, but it's on and blowing loud. The tv was circa 1995; tube tv with old remote, bad colors, bad sound. The bed... I told my wife, trying to go to sleep in the bed was like trying to sleep on an uncomfortable chair. I kept thinking "this is a bed; how can it be so uncomfortable"... Yeah, so ehhhh on the room.

I grabbed a coffee and a latte for my wife in the am for $8.00. The latte was more along the lines of a cappacino - all foam. With that, and the prospect of what the buffet would be like, we went out for breakfast - we found the Astronomical Pancake house, about 3.5 miles away, and wow, delicious.

Then the reverse happens, you have to pack, get the kids to the water park, get your stuff in a subset to the car...When you leave, there is a changing room and showers, pretty small area and only 3 dark showers, that definitely under serves the demand, especially considering they market the fact that you can use the park after checkout and use the changing room. There was literally a line of folks waiting to shower. I tucked the kids in a corner, changed and said we'll shower when we get home.

I guess, for what the place costs, especially when I have looked over spring break, I thought it was going to be a fancy, upscale resort with a big, beautiful indoor water park. That is definitely not what this is. If you adjust your expectations accordingly, you can have fun. My kids had a blast, my wife and I did not. We're definitely one and done.

5 Thank Eyeballs