“Time For a Good Steak”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Time For a Good Steak”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Hubby and I had been to the Aberdeen Barn with friends during the Williamsburg Scottish Games several years ago, and when we finished with a cold day touring the historic area, we both were thinking "steak."
This is an old fashioned steak place with attentive wait staff, good wines and of course, wonderful steak. The meal starts off with one of my favorites, a large pot of soft cheese to spread on the crackers provided. I had to have Hubby move this away from me as I could really fill up on that. Salads to start, mine with house-made blue cheese dressing and warm rolls. We opted to split the Porterhouse steak and were glad we did. This thing looked like the Tuscan steaks brought to the table in Florence. We had a wonderful Virginia cab franc from Breaux Vineyards.
Our server had been working for the Aberdeen Barn for 21 years and we had a fun time with him and the rest of the staff. I was amused at the comment from another reviewer about being stalked. Maybe they should stick with McDonald's. Attentive service is the mark of a fine dining establishment.

• Visited November 2013

Blackstone, Virginia
“Good food, but OVER THE TOP waiter”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

We have eaten here a few times and I must say that this time was my least favorite. The food is good, a bit overpriced for the quality, but it is good (I always get the Seafood Trio). However, our waiter was OVER THE TOP with being TOO ATTENTIVE. I have waited on tables for years as a young adult and if it had been up to me, this gentleman needed to be talked to by management. He was stalking the table so much that you couldn't even finish something on your plate without it being taken away. He actually told me to put my glasses away after I was done with the menu. There was not a fork, spoon, napkin, or other item out of place the entire evening because of his hovering. It really was too much!!!! I don't even know how to rate service below b/c Hovering Stalker isn't one of the choices. It's also a very old restaurant and altho' it has been maintained well and is clean, it is dark and has that "old feel".

• Visited November 2013
Memphis, Tennessee
“Holy cow”
Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

We had an appetizer of bacon wrapped shrimp and scallops, not impressed at all. The Prime Rib was bland and tasteless, my son had the Top Sirloin which was also tasteless. The wife enjoyed the pork chops while the daughter-in-law went safe with a salad and baked potato. Also, they need a new bartender, the Long Island Ice Tea was as bad as the beef products. Service was good but doesn't make up for the quality of the meal. The prices were way to high for the quality of the meal. Over all, a failure!

Visited November 2013
Western Kentucky
“Didn't eat here, got seated, saw the menu and left.”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Sorry, I can't comment on the food, good or bad, but the atmosphere was dark and dreary, prices were high and nothing about this place said, "Casual" or "Moderately priced" or "family". I hate having to use the flashlight on my phone to read the menu! We had been looking for a good steak all day and decided this would be it. Nope! Not when the cheapest thing on the menu is over $20! I hope I don't sound cheap, because I love to eat good food and had some fantastic meals on this trip (see other reviews) but I was not willing to invest that much on a place that looked that dreary. Wound up getting an excellent meal across the road at Chilis! And enjoyed the atmosphere much better.

Visited October 2013
Penang Island, Malaysia
“Really disappointing experience”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

This restaurant really turned us off. Even though there were not that many customers we were put at a table where half our party was staring at a wall, backs to the rest of the restaurant. Our food was not great, the shrimp was overdone and the scallops were under-done and the mahi mahi was tasteless. I had to send my scallops back but when they returned they were not much better and the so-called wine sauce had disappeared. I had to ask for some seafood sauce just to eat some of it. We definitely will not go back to this restaurant.

• Visited October 2013