“see above”

Ranked #54 of 411 Restaurants in Williamsburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Gather ‘round at Chowning’s Tavern for hearty, Colonial-inspired pub fare, all served up in an authentic alehouse atmosphere. Try favorites of our founding fathers, including savory Shepherd’s Pye and satisfying trenchers served in bread bowls. Make friends with fellow diners over a frothy pint, or enjoy an ale outside in the beer garden. Want to take a piece of Colonial Williamsburg home with you? Order a local craft beer and keep the traditional salted mug. If you’re in need of a quick bite to fuel your day of exploration, stop by Chowning’s Garden Grill between 11am and 4pm daily for burgers, sausages, stew, BBQ, salads, and sweet treats.
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed December 27, 2007

see above

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Write a ReviewReviews (1,600)

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed December 27, 2007

Music is good!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed November 7, 2007

Visited with 10 year old son for lunch. I had the ham and cheese sandwich and he had the brunswick stew. He loved the stew (which was a good size) and 1/2 of my sandwich. Fortunately the sandwich was huge so there was plenty for both of us.

1  Thank FamilyFunVa
Reviewed September 1, 2007

We went to dinner there because the attractions closed at 5:00pm and we had a reservation for a Ghost Tour at 7:00pm. The dinner was fine. My husband and I had the sampler platter. We did not care for the ham biscuit or the cheese snippets. The chicken was a little too spicy for me, but he enjoyed it. We both really enjoyed the ribs and the pulled pork. My daughter and her friend both loved the ribs. The atmosphere is wonderful. We had a magician, two musicians and a singer. The wait staff was great and we really enjoyed playing the games. It is a very relaxed atmosphere. We certainly didn't feel rushed and the prices were great.

Reviewed August 16, 2007

My husband and I went to Chowning's Tavern one night for dinner during our week long trip to Williamsburg. They sat us at a table with a man and woman and two obnoxious kids. We ordered the $24.00 sampler for two. The ham biscuit was dry. I live near Lexington, NC so I am used to Lexington style BBQ. The BBQ sandwich in the sampler was not good at all. My husband said the ribs and chicken were ok, but he has had much better. There were 2 guys in costumes singing when we went in but they left after less than 5 minutes. No one came in the room to show us the games, even after several people asked. The food was not good, and we will not be going back.

1  Thank EmilyAnnNC

Been to Josiah Chowning's Tavern? Share your experiences!