“Slow and over-priced”

Josiah Chowning's Tavern
Ranked #33 of 385 Restaurants in Williamsburg
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Slow and over-priced”
Reviewed January 1, 2012

We were here on New Years Eve touring Williamsburg and decided to stop in for lunch. It was noon when we came and loads of people were waiting, but the hostess told us it would only be 20 minutes so we decided to wait. After 30 minutes, my husband checked and she said it wouldn't be long. Finally, after an hour he checked again and when he gave his first name, she asked if he was so-and-so, that she'd just called to be seated a few minutes before. He had to say, "Noooo, you already called them." When she said, "Not long now," he refused to leave, asking her, "exactly how long is 'not long'" so she finally got the drift and seated us.

So, after an hour of waiting, we're seated and the menu is, well, abysmal. I basically waited an hour to be presented with a menu of over-priced sandwiches. I ordered the peanut soup for $6.50 (which was absolutely terrible, and I LOVE peanut soup from the Wayside Inn) and a salad, which was just a plate of lettuce with a few cherry tomatoes on it for $6.75. My husband and son both got the BBQ sandwiches, which they enjoyed, but which were served with chips that look like they came out of the bottom of a Lay's bag (not a big one in sight) and some nasty coleslaw. My son ate neither the chips nor the slaw. So, we waited an hour and ended up spending $50 for a really cruddy meal. I would NEVER go here again.

The only plus- the on-tap root beer was really tasty. We did enjoy that.

• Visited December 2011

Lewiston, Michigan
“Back in time!”
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Loved the authenticity of this venue. Felt like we were back in time.Simple menu but excellent taste. Barbecue pork sandwich was tasty and it looked like turkey and ham sandwiches delivered to other tables were other good choices. The staff kept in character and that's always a wonderful experience in Williamsburg.

Visited December 2011
Opelika, Alabama
“very good”
Reviewed January 1, 2012

they were very friendly and the food was great. I am from the south and wondered about the fried chicken.... it was so good. My only suggestion would be smaller portions.

Visited December 2011
Duluth, Minnesota
“Christmas dinner”
Reviewed January 1, 2012

We ate at Chowings for our Christmas dinner and to be honest I wasn't expecting much since this is their busiest day of the year, and even with a set menu many places still have average food at best. But this was great food, I had the seasonal greens with Baron's Roasted Rib of Beef, which was cooked to perfection. My husband ordered the Brunswick Stew, something new for both of us and a treat to try, very delicious, and the Salmon with Crab cake. The salmon was slightly over cooked which is common when cooking for a huge turnover like Christmas night, but the crab cake was light and flaky and cooked just right. For dessert we had the peanut pie and the Sweet Potato pie, we had never had peanut pie before and I didn't care for it much, its not as sweet as Pecan pie, the sweet potato pie was very good but the nutmeg cream made it a little bit to much for spice flavors.

• Visited December 2011
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Dinner!!!”
Reviewed December 29, 2011

Dinner at Chowning's Tavern was a blast!!!! While the menu was limited in its selection, the food was lovely. Definitely go for the homemade root beer on tap (literally, the best I have tasted)! I felt I was in a colonial tavern (save the printed menus and the check, of course!). One thing to try is "Gambols;" it is a there are musicians, magicians and other colonial figures going about the dining room entertaining the guests. In between, the waiters teach everyone at the table to play dice games (my personal favorite: "Ship, Captain, Crew." Simple, yet very competitive!!). Overall, a very fun dining experience the whole family can enjoy! (Note: According to the website, Gambols starts at 9 every night, but the restaurant is packed each night at that point! Make your reservation early so you do not have to wait in the cold for your named to be called at 10:30...trust me, I know!!!!)

• Visited August 2011
2 Thank GRIFFONEAGLE

Been to Josiah Chowning's Tavern? Share your experiences!