“I THOUGHT THIS TAVERN WAS SO MUCH FUN!”

Josiah Chowning's Tavern
Ranked #31 of 393 Restaurants in Williamsburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed November 10, 2011

I loved the brunswick stew and the BBQ. It's colonial food so be prepared for that but that was part of the charm as well. Especially fun is after 9:00 in evening when there is music, games and great drinks!

Reviewed November 10, 2011

My fiancee and I popped in to Chowning's for a quick bite and to warm up on the first really cold day of the season. We were seated right away--hazzah! We split the Welch Rarebit, as not to spoil our planned early dinner, and I ordered the Hot Buttered Rum and he, an ale. First, I have to say the taste of my toddy was great--spiced cider with cinnamon and nutmeg. [Yum.] Alas, there was very little RUM. What is a Hot Buttered Rum, without the rum? I told the waitress, who was a doll; and, I asked for another shot of rum. Simple fix. Instead, there was a hullabaloo at the bar, and after some discussion between the bartender and waitress, and probably a supervisor of some sort--I couldn't tell, it was decided he'd remake my drink. Not what I asked, but okay. When the waitress brought my new drink, she told me that otherwise that 6 oz cider would have been $14. Really!? Another 7 bucks for a shot of Morgan's? As it turned out the second Hot Buttered Rum was no rummier. Bit of advice: Stick to the Rummer.

Second, the Welch Rarebit was not prepared as I expected: Over toast. Though it was tasty, the cheddar fondue was poured over what I can only describe as several very hard, extra long, taste-less croutons--they call "sippets." I actually had to order a piece of plain sandwich bread because a sippet could take out a tooth! I understand cost-cutting, but don't understand what great cost toast made from a hardy tavern bread could be?

In general, I find all the taverns to be over-priced, touristy eateries; and, with most tourist destination dining, of so-so quality.

Reviewed November 3, 2011

For us, a trip to williamsburg is not complete without the welsh rarebit with ham at Chowning's. We also had a cup of corn chowder. A delighful lunch and good service.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

We enjoyed this spot for lunch. Had Welsh Rarebit which was terrific and my husband enjoyed his peanut soup. The hot buttered rum cider on a cool day was a perfect suggestion from the server.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

WAYYYY overpriced for take-out lunch. Was convenient and that was about it. I'd go downtown to The Cheese Shop in the future (just hop on a bus).

Been to Josiah Chowning's Tavern? Share your experiences!