“Governor's Green is So-so”

Wyndham Governor's Green
Ranked #26 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 1, 2008

Just got back from Governor's Green today. It is a so-so resort. The unit's are fine- we had a 3 bedroom. It was roomy, the beds were okay. Couldn't hear people in other units. Wi-fi didn't really work. We are used to an arcade for the kids but you had to travel to one of Wyndham's other properties for that- not exactly freedom for teens. The pool area needs repairing to the crumbling deck. The main pool is rather small, no privacy around the hot tub (it's right next to the baby pool!). There is not a pool bar and grill, which is something we are accustomed to at resorts in this price range.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Boys_School_TN
There are newer reviews for Wyndham Governor's Green

Reviewed July 18, 2008

We stayed a week at the Wyndham Governor's Green Resort in Williamsburg, VA. The property is beautifully maintained and has many family friendly amenities. Our condo was spacious and clean. My family of ten including four adults with parents, grandparents, and six kids (17, 14, 10, 6,6,6) easily fit into the space provided with room to spare. The kids were kept busy by the indoor and outdoor pools, mini golf course, tennis courts, and club house with billiards, and movie theater. the adults enjoyed the outdoor adult only pool and hot tub on several occasions. The area teems with wildlife including a resident flock of Canadian geese and several deer.

The property is protected by a very visible and active security force and is gated so we felt very safe and were able to allow the kids to roam on their own a bit.

The property is very convenient to Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, and the water park. Shopping is also near by (although grocery shopping is a bit of a trek).

This resort is among the best of the many we have stayed in and I would have no problem recommending it to families thinking about visiting Williamsburg.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank johns1959
Reviewed March 29, 2008

I rented a 2 BR unit from a Governor's Green owner. I found her listing on Redweek.com. I was traveling two adults, two teenage boys.

The unit was immaculate, very roomy, and well provisioned. Most timeshare units don't give sugar or salt for some reason, but Governor's Green (GG) provided packets of sugar, salt, even hot chocolate and popcorn. There was also plenty of paper towels (sometimes you get only one roll), toilet paper, garbage bags, dishwasher liquid packets, so we didn't have to buy any of that, which is also unusual in my experience.

There is a game room in a nearby property called Kingsgate. It is not walking distance as some mentioned, however, unless you are comfortable with kids walking along a busy road with no sidewalks in the dark. The great thing about it is if you are staying at either property you can buy a $5 pass (one pass per unit) which is good for your entire stay. The door is manned with security, and the two game rooms are divided up into age-appropriate groupings. Once you have the pass, anyone who is staying with you can play for free, which is a gigantic savings when you think about how much game rooms can run you.

The kids also enjoyed the pools (both heated), the billiard room, the mini golf course.

The only negative I can think of is the lack of a lifeguard at the pools, and the lack of parental supervision. There was a group of kids who obviously knew each other basically running wild. One mother was sleeping and the other never lifted her nose from her book, even when the kids were really being obnoxious. I was somewhat enjoying the lukewarm jacuzzi when the kids (probably age 4 and up) invaded the jacuzzi and started redirecting the jets. I screamed out for them to stop after one of the jets hit me directly in the eye. Even at that level of shout the mother did not look up. My friend and I finally left. At least I had a jacuzzi in the room. I called security to alert them to the dangerous lack of supervision in the pool. I don't know if they did anything or not, but I think Wyndham should spring for the cost of a lifeguard, because apparently many parents don't think it's their job to safeguard their kids or the safety of others who their kids may be jumping on.

But, as I said, that was the only negative of my stay. Otherwise when we needed maintainence (once to take away a wobbly chair and once to help us actually get the DVD player working), they came fairly promptly. The front desk was helpful when asked.

As others have mentioned, when you are directed to get your parking pass at the sales desk, just tell them there's no way you are doing a presentation. She handed me the passes and that was it. They never called to bug us.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
7  Thank RinaD
Reviewed January 1, 2008

My family and I stayed at Governor's Green over the Christmas week in 2007. Overall, our accommodations and ammenities did not live up to our expectations. (Disclaimer - we did not stay in a presidential suite as they had all been booked by the time we reserved. Our unit was 3 bedrooms and 2 baths.) Here are a few problems we encountered:
1. The unit's furnshings were outdated and worn.
2. There was a broken dining room chandelier that was only hanging by its power cord when we arrived. (It was fixed at our request.)
3. The televisions were embarrassingly small and old. (They couldn't have been more than 25-27 inches and had horrible sound and picture. Call me picky, but I expect more modern technology for the price we paid.)
4. The "state of the art" gym was pathetic. The weight machine was torn in multiple places, the only eliptical machine was being held together by duct tape, there were no free weights, the floor was dirty, the room was constantly out of towels, and there was no hand sanitizer or spray. (I used the gym 6 of our 7 days and each morning it looked like no one had even come in to straighted up from the day before. Did I mention that the gym doesn't even open until 7am?) It does have a large plasma TV, though - maybe the owners think this makes the gym worthy of a "state of the art" title? Not quite.

We did have a pleasant experience at the pool (indoor pool is heated -nice touch) and spa (we purchased massages), but neither was exceptional.

My recommendation would be to stay at Kingsgate over Governor's Green any day. Oh, and if you are called on your first day for
a "satisfaction survey," skip it at all costs - it's just a sales pitch. (Or reschedule for the last day of your stay and tell them what
you REALLY think of the place!)

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
7  Thank ajsitz
Reviewed December 28, 2007

We arrived here the day after Thanksgiving. The grounds looked nice with lighted holiday decorations. We were staying here through my husband's parent's timeshare and when we checked in, we were told to go over to another area. I thought for sure they were going to try and make an appt. to sell a timeshare. To my surprise, they were just greeting us and giving us information for around the area with pamphlets. On first notice, our 2 bedroom unit was very clean. The kitchen was spacious and stocked with all the basics. I liked that there was a dining area, besides the breakfast bar. Of course, the master bedroom had a room for the hot tub and sink with counter space, drawers and a mirror. Then you walked into where there was another sink, toilet and nice spacious shower. Also in this area behind doors was the washer and dryer. The 2nd bedroom was a nice size and their bathroom was laid out with 2 sinks and counter space and drawers, along with a shower. There was only one small problem while we were there - we did find a few ants in the kitchen and the bathroom. We liked our balcony view of the pond and fountain. My family used the pool area and activity center, which included computers, TV, and couches. All in all it was a wonderful experience

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank lavender26
Reviewed December 11, 2007

We traveled to Williamsburg during the week after Thanksgiving. We stayed in a 2-bedroom in Governor's Green. The place was clean, well stocked and comfortable. We are owners in the Wyndham family and have never been disappointed with the accomodations.

We had a wonderful time, the houses were decorated for Christmas and the crowds stayed away.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Samkitten
Reviewed October 4, 2007

Fri 9-21 thru Fri 9-28-07: Stayed the week via time-share exchange. Overall, the property was nice enough, but bad mattresses and decrepit bed frames took away alot of the niceness. We were there during the off season, using it for a base to visit Williamsburg, Charlottesville, Washington, D.C., Jamestown and Yorktown. It was a pleasant experience, especially the balcony overlooking the large pond with fountain spray and the dozen ducks, or so. Hopefully, by changing to the Wyndham name, from Fairfield, they will also check the individual units for necessary repairs and maintenance. Also, the property could use some landscaping. It looked rather barren, like the buildings had been plopped down in the middle of a clearing.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends