“Top Marks for Wyndham Governor's Green”

Wyndham Governor's Green
Ranked #25 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
GreenLeadersGold level
Lincroft, NJ
“Top Marks for Wyndham Governor's Green”
Reviewed March 29, 2008

I rented a 2 BR unit from a Governor's Green owner. I found her listing on Redweek.com. I was traveling two adults, two teenage boys.

The unit was immaculate, very roomy, and well provisioned. Most timeshare units don't give sugar or salt for some reason, but Governor's Green (GG) provided packets of sugar, salt, even hot chocolate and popcorn. There was also plenty of paper towels (sometimes you get only one roll), toilet paper, garbage bags, dishwasher liquid packets, so we didn't have to buy any of that, which is also unusual in my experience.

There is a game room in a nearby property called Kingsgate. It is not walking distance as some mentioned, however, unless you are comfortable with kids walking along a busy road with no sidewalks in the dark. The great thing about it is if you are staying at either property you can buy a $5 pass (one pass per unit) which is good for your entire stay. The door is manned with security, and the two game rooms are divided up into age-appropriate groupings. Once you have the pass, anyone who is staying with you can play for free, which is a gigantic savings when you think about how much game rooms can run you.

The kids also enjoyed the pools (both heated), the billiard room, the mini golf course.

The only negative I can think of is the lack of a lifeguard at the pools, and the lack of parental supervision. There was a group of kids who obviously knew each other basically running wild. One mother was sleeping and the other never lifted her nose from her book, even when the kids were really being obnoxious. I was somewhat enjoying the lukewarm jacuzzi when the kids (probably age 4 and up) invaded the jacuzzi and started redirecting the jets. I screamed out for them to stop after one of the jets hit me directly in the eye. Even at that level of shout the mother did not look up. My friend and I finally left. At least I had a jacuzzi in the room. I called security to alert them to the dangerous lack of supervision in the pool. I don't know if they did anything or not, but I think Wyndham should spring for the cost of a lifeguard, because apparently many parents don't think it's their job to safeguard their kids or the safety of others who their kids may be jumping on.

But, as I said, that was the only negative of my stay. Otherwise when we needed maintainence (once to take away a wobbly chair and once to help us actually get the DVD player working), they came fairly promptly. The front desk was helpful when asked.

As others have mentioned, when you are directed to get your parking pass at the sales desk, just tell them there's no way you are doing a presentation. She handed me the passes and that was it. They never called to bug us.

• Liked — Spacious, well-appointed 2 BR unit
  • Disliked — Unsupervised children at pool/jacuzzi
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
7 Thank RinaD

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Arabic first
Virginia
Reviewed January 1, 2008

My family and I stayed at Governor's Green over the Christmas week in 2007. Overall, our accommodations and ammenities did not live up to our expectations. (Disclaimer - we did not stay in a presidential suite as they had all been booked by the time we reserved. Our unit was 3 bedrooms and 2 baths.) Here are a few problems we encountered:
1. The unit's furnshings were outdated and worn.
2. There was a broken dining room chandelier that was only hanging by its power cord when we arrived. (It was fixed at our request.)
3. The televisions were embarrassingly small and old. (They couldn't have been more than 25-27 inches and had horrible sound and picture. Call me picky, but I expect more modern technology for the price we paid.)
4. The "state of the art" gym was pathetic. The weight machine was torn in multiple places, the only eliptical machine was being held together by duct tape, there were no free weights, the floor was dirty, the room was constantly out of towels, and there was no hand sanitizer or spray. (I used the gym 6 of our 7 days and each morning it looked like no one had even come in to straighted up from the day before. Did I mention that the gym doesn't even open until 7am?) It does have a large plasma TV, though - maybe the owners think this makes the gym worthy of a "state of the art" title? Not quite.

We did have a pleasant experience at the pool (indoor pool is heated -nice touch) and spa (we purchased massages), but neither was exceptional.

My recommendation would be to stay at Kingsgate over Governor's Green any day. Oh, and if you are called on your first day for
a "satisfaction survey," skip it at all costs - it's just a sales pitch. (Or reschedule for the last day of your stay and tell them what
you REALLY think of the place!)

• Liked — It was roomy
  • Disliked — Pathetically small/old televisions, worn/outdated furnishings
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
7 Thank ajsitz
PA
Reviewed December 28, 2007

We arrived here the day after Thanksgiving. The grounds looked nice with lighted holiday decorations. We were staying here through my husband's parent's timeshare and when we checked in, we were told to go over to another area. I thought for sure they were going to try and make an appt. to sell a timeshare. To my surprise, they were just greeting us and giving us information for around the area with pamphlets. On first notice, our 2 bedroom unit was very clean. The kitchen was spacious and stocked with all the basics. I liked that there was a dining area, besides the breakfast bar. Of course, the master bedroom had a room for the hot tub and sink with counter space, drawers and a mirror. Then you walked into where there was another sink, toilet and nice spacious shower. Also in this area behind doors was the washer and dryer. The 2nd bedroom was a nice size and their bathroom was laid out with 2 sinks and counter space and drawers, along with a shower. There was only one small problem while we were there - we did find a few ants in the kitchen and the bathroom. We liked our balcony view of the pond and fountain. My family used the pool area and activity center, which included computers, TV, and couches. All in all it was a wonderful experience

• Liked — The clean spacious unit with an
  • Disliked — very slight ant problem
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank lavender26
Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed December 11, 2007

We traveled to Williamsburg during the week after Thanksgiving. We stayed in a 2-bedroom in Governor's Green. The place was clean, well stocked and comfortable. We are owners in the Wyndham family and have never been disappointed with the accomodations.

We had a wonderful time, the houses were decorated for Christmas and the crowds stayed away.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Samkitten
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 4, 2007

Fri 9-21 thru Fri 9-28-07: Stayed the week via time-share exchange. Overall, the property was nice enough, but bad mattresses and decrepit bed frames took away alot of the niceness. We were there during the off season, using it for a base to visit Williamsburg, Charlottesville, Washington, D.C., Jamestown and Yorktown. It was a pleasant experience, especially the balcony overlooking the large pond with fountain spray and the dozen ducks, or so. Hopefully, by changing to the Wyndham name, from Fairfield, they will also check the individual units for necessary repairs and maintenance. Also, the property could use some landscaping. It looked rather barren, like the buildings had been plopped down in the middle of a clearing.

• Liked — central location
  • Disliked — mattresses, bed frames
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank WildWilliam
Springfield, Ohio
Reviewed August 20, 2007

My family and I enjoyed our stay at Govenor's Green. We are timeshare owners within the Fairfield network. We stayed in a Two bedroom deluxe. It was very spacious and very clean. Each bedroom had a TV. The living room included pleanty of seating and it had a large TV, DVD player and a stereo.
The resort offered lighted tennis courts (free), pool tables, free use of computers, the family pool area was very large, and the resort had an adults only pool as well.
The staff was very efficent. We needed a portable crib and it was delivered within minutes of our request. High chairs were also avaliable for use both free of charge.
We went to several local attactions including Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown. We recieved very discoutned tickets to Colonial Williamsburg for going to the members update. We were able to pre gift (get our tickets the day before our update). We paid $20 for two freedom pass tickets then upgraded them at Colonial Williamsburg for a year membership for about $22 more. We purchased discount tickets for other attractions at the recreation center at the resort.

• Liked — Large rooms, cleaniness
  • Disliked — Nothing to dislike
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Familytraveler03
New York, NY
Reviewed August 19, 2007

My entire family stayed in a 3 BR unit the Fairfield Governor's Green the first week of August. We usually only stay at Marriott 5 star timeshares, but with our growing family, we needed the 3BR, and GG is an Interval International 5-star property.

The unit was perfectly nice and clean, and had plenty of space for the whole family. It was fully stocked with dishwashing soap, laundry detergent, paper towels. Some of the drawbacks:
1) No on-site amenities/kids programming - you have to drive to the other Fairfield properties
2) Pools were quite small - I don't know if they could handle a fully sold out property
3) Timeshare solicitors are somewhat aggressive
4) If you ever needed help/housekeeping, you have to leave a message for them, you don't get a live person

Overall, it was perfectly fine for our vacation to Williamsburg. Both Williamsburg & GG are fine places to go *once*.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family