“First-rate property with one major reservation” 4 of 5 bubbles

Wyndham Governor's Green
Ranked #24 of 75 Hotels in Williamsburg
GreenLeadersGold level
Arlington, Virginia
“First-rate property with one major reservation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

Governors Green is a beautiful property, conveniently located (once you figure out the back roads) to all Williamsburg attractions from Busch Gardens to Colonial Williamsburg to outlet shopping. Units are spacious and well-appointed - we stayed in a large one bedroom - and amenities are adequate - a decent indoor pool, gym, etc.

Our major complaint was noise. The buildings, while pleasant-looking, do not appear to be well constructed so that, even though most of the unit is carpeted, even footsteps from the unit above sound like large animals. We received a call a few days before our arrival asking ir we had any special needs or requests (a VERY nice touch if it meant anything) and, being fairly savvy travelers, we asked for a top (third) floor unit so that we would not be subject to noise from above. Instead we were placed in a second floor unit and, at around 10 PM, when we were fully settled in, found that the unit above us was occupied by a family with VERY active children. When we called to complain, the desk clerk offered to send security to quiet our neighbors. We demurred; these were children doing what active children do - jumping up and down and running back and forth- not some raucous party. Even though the property was less than 25% occupied, we were not moved. Fortunately we were out a lot and the noise abated after the kids' bedtimes, which was sometimes quite late.

Room Tip: Insist on a top floor unit, accept nothing less, unless you have active kids in which case a ground...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank FSR99

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Arabic first
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

I am at Governor's Green on a long weekend rental obtained through friends who are timeshare owners here. (They suggested that this is their favorite Wyndham Williamsburg property, and I can't see that they have steered me wrong.)

The unit I am in is a nice 2 BR 2 Bath that is roomy and very comfortable. The furnishings and fixtures are quite nice, though not quite as nice in my opinion as Sheraton or Marriott timeshare units (no granite or stainless in the kitchen, no massage shower heads, an old tube TV in the second bedroom, and no separate sound system for entertainment). The kitchen supplies are wonderful, though. I have never seen better timeshare unit coffee mugs. I am sorely tempted to take one home with me.

Check-in was a breeze, and the staff is as good as it gets. (I did however ask for a top floor unit, and not get it, so I am unfortunately listening to the footsteps overhead - luckily there are only two relatively quiet people in that unit.) Having seen many internet posts about brusque, really pushy Wyndham sales staff at Wyndham time share resorts, I was concerned the resort staff would be less than the Doctor ordered, but I have been very well served across the board. These folks are proud of this place and it shows.

I even went to the owner update/timeshare sales presentation - as I really wanted to find out their take on Wyndham's VIP program's benefits - and was impressed with that whole operation as well. There were two concierge employees who were actually very helpful about Williamsburg itself, and everyone respected my "no's" when the time came for me to speak them.

As for Williamsburg itself, let me just laud Colonial Williamsburg as a starter. The DeWitt/Rockefeller Museum complex there is incredible - one of the best smaller museums I have ever been to. The great thing is - it was one of the Wyndham concierge staffers who told me to be sure not to miss it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Joe G
Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

First, my apologies to the people on one side and below us, bldg 24 3rd floor - 4 grandkids can get kind of noisy. We prefer Governors Green to Kingsgate or Patriot Place. The activities they provide are good for both kids and adults, and the amenities (indoor and outdoor pool, fitness room, small spa) are all good too. We were there for Christmas, and while the grandkids wanted snow, we still had a good time. The kids used the indoor pool. We didn't use the mini-golf this time, but have in the past. All the front desk staff were helpful. We didn't hear the train much. The only drawback is the pushy sales people, really not the resort staff. Someone came to our unit within 30 minutes of our checking in, with an 'owner's gift.' A discount card? Really? Supposedly she was checking on the condition of the unit. Well, there were a few things missing, they were never provided, so I don't know who she told. We were pressed to hear about some trust for the kids, so we went. Bad move. All they were trying to do was sell us more points and offer Wyndham right of first refusal. What??? We thought we had already done that. We also mentioned we had banked points with II, and were told we'd made a mistake. By that time not only was hubby upset, I was livid, and it takes a lot to get me angry. We walked out without any kind of gift. Our fault I guess for believing it really would not be a sales pitch this time. We are platinum owners already, why on earth would they think we'd buy any more? We will go back to Governor's Green, but won't go anywhere near their sales house.

Room Tip: As mentioned, there will be less noise if you get a unit on the third floor. And a corner would mea...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank dudettedeb
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2011

My husband and I spent three nights in this Wyndham resort. This was not the first time we have visited this Wyndham, probably the third or so. Each time we have been extremely pleased. The units have all been clean, and they are very roomy. All units have been well equipped. There is a nice jacuzzi tub in master bedroom. This Wyndham is secluded on a "back road" that parallels Rt. 60 (one of the main drags in Williamsburg). It is nice to be away from the hustle and bustle of all of the restaurants, yet only minutes away from all of that as well as the historic area town of Williamsburg. This is a perfect little getaway and Williamsburg is a gem of a town to visit.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank heeler028
Media, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2011

My sister from South Carolina and me from Pennsylvania met here for a pre-Christmas visit. We had a 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit in building 23. The unit was clean and well decorated. My mother also came along so we had 3 adults and 5 kids. The kids loved the indoor pool and made stuffed animals at the activity center. We visited colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gardens. Busch Gardens, while crowded, was beautifully decorated and really put us in the holiday spirit. We really enjoyed our trip and will return next year.

Room Tip: Other reviewers complained about the noise from the trains, we did not hear them in our room. Half w...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank damantegna
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2011

We enjoyed our 3 bedroom unit---everything went well for all 3 generations---One grandson is a train lover and was delighted to be able to walk a short way and view Amtrack as it came by---You really could not hear it in the bldg #20. We were only able to stay for 3 days and spent all our time touring the Historic Triangle and did not get to participate in the children's activites or try the restaurant.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Bamatraveler_11
Robinson, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2011

The facilities here are lovely, but there have been a few blemishes in our Thanksgiving getaway. First of all, we promised to listen to the sales pitch (um, "member update") for 45 minutes in order to get discount tickets to Colonial Williamsburg. We were pawned off from one sales consultant to another one (Claudia) who was condescending and disrespectful to our wishes and to our previous sales consultant with whom we maintain a very good relationship. We ended up spending too much time with Claudia after repeatedly telling her we had other plans. As we were leaving, she was still calling after us, "No you can't go yet...."
The fitted sheet on the master bed had pilling that affected my sleep; it felt like pricklies on my legs all night. I filled out a form to have the sheet changed, which was promised to be done while we were listening to our "update." Even after we got done with our day's activities, and were getting ready for bed, I noticed it had not been done. After a call to the front desk, housekeeping did change the bedding.
Then, as we were watching TV after our Thanksgiving dinner, we got a call from the front desk that the people below us were complaining that we were fighting (heck, we were almost unconscious with tryptophan overdose). We still have another day here, and I'm hoping for a more positive 24 hours.

Room Tip: Apparently, you should request a top floor. From previous reviews and our experience, it seems that...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family