“A nice campground in a great place”

Williamsburg KOA Campground
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We found the campground to be fairly nice and like our cabin very much. The campground staff were very nice and friendly. We very much enjoyed the heated pool every night after our days out in the area. Nicely shaded too. We don't go on vacation to spend our time on the internet, but we were very disappointed with the wifi and we were even well positioned for it.

When I called the campground, I specifically asked about the wifi. I wasn't told that sometimes I might not be able to log on at all (with 5 bars!), other times I could log on but wouldn't be connected to the internet, or when I was connected, for some reason my connection would drop frequently. I had hoped to plan places to eat as well as some vacation planning but I was unable to do. I think that since I asked, I should have been told that the wifi works so poorly.

If someone isn't expecting working wifi, this is a great campground to return to after a busy day out.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
williamsburgkoa, Manager at Williamsburg KOA Campground, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Thank you for providing a review of your stay with us! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and apologize for any inconvenience due to the Wifi connection. We have since upgraded our connection speed to alleviate the stress from all the new devices on the Wifi system.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed at the Williamsburg Koa side, not colonial and spent the majority of our time on the colonial side. As there was nothing for kids to do and the pool was cold. It seems that the attention to the guest staying at colonial was obviously a priority. The bathrooms and showers on the Williamsburg were disgusting no matter what time of day. Our cabin smelled as if someone had vomited in it before and it was not cleaned all that well. While on the Colonial side they were clean. When we travel there again we will definitely stay on the Colonial side. I would say the Colonial side rates as a very good place to stay and the deluxe cabins are beautiful after touring them.

Room Tip: Stay in a deluxe cabin on the Colonial Side
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for providing feedback about your stay at the Williamsburg KOA! We apologize that you felt your section was not what you were anticipating. The Williamsburg site is intended to provide a serene atmosphere, while the Colonial site is more active. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 22, 2012

We decided to camp at Williamsburg Koa for my daughters 5th birthday. Since I was 8 months pregnant we rented the deluxe cabin. I was quite impresssed by the cabin. Very nice, cozy, and clean. I tried to cancel when I found it was going to rain the whole weekend, but was told I would lose my whole deposit. I was offered to reschedule on another weekend, but I had no clue when that could happen since the baby would be coming soon. Anyway, when I arrived the staff were really nice even though my cabin was not ready. When I got to the cabin I stop being upset about it not being ready because it was so darn cute :). The grill outside was a little ragged but served its purpose. The bunkbed room is really small especially for an adult. The full bedroom was nice size comfortable bed. The pool stayed open through the rain which was a plus. The game room was bad. Needs an update and more video games. My hubby had his bike and we thought that there would be full size bikes to rent, but only these small pedal go carts. The one my daughter got didn't have brakes, and the other one had a flat tire...the bounce pillow was cute. The snack bar at the pool didn't have many snacks. The campground overall was okay, but I think I want to try another koa next time.

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank luv2eat78
williamsburgkoa, Manager at Williamsburg KOA Campground, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2012

Thank you for visiting our site and taking time to review your experience! We are happy that you liked our cabins (they are really cute!) and hope that your daughter enjoyed her birthday trip! We are sorry for the disappointments that you experienced, and will look into improving those areas of our campground. We hope you will visit again!

Reviewed July 20, 2012

My family and I had a great time! The staff is super friendly and very helpful! My kids LOVED staying in the deluxe cabin!! They were able to sit out on the deck, walk around, go to the pool and get some fresh air! My kids love being outside and this was way better than being stuck in a hotel! We would go to Busch Gardens as soon as it was open then come back to the cabin and cook on the grill, go swimming,or relax for a few then go back to the park! It was great to go back to the cabin (which had 2 AC's...one in the bedroom and one in the main room) and unwind for a few, while the kids took a nap we would sit on the deck and relax. I am so happy we stayed here and my kids had the best time! We all really had a great time and we will definitely be back!

4  Thank griswolds2012

It makes us so happy to hear about families enjoying each other’s company at the campground! We are thrilled that you were able to enjoy the amenities and activities, both on site and off site. Thank you for sharing, and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 17, 2012

Stayed here for a week excursion to the CW area. Stayed in a Deluxe cabin with a stay 5 nights get 2 free, ended up averaging out to about 150 bucks a night for a common room/kitchenette with a 2 person futon, a master bedroom, a small closet bunk area for two, and a small bathroom. Cable with a flat screen TV but not digital, so the picture is spotty at best. Wifi was hard to come by in our cabin. Granted, we're not there to be on the TV or the iPad, but having those options on rainy days would have been nice.

There is an outdoor heated pool, the game room adjacent to the pool was severely lacking in accoutrements. There are a handful of geocaches on site, which my boys and I did so if you enjoy geocaching definitely knock these out!

The location is good; you're about 10-15 minutes away from BG, closer to CW and Water Country USA, right down the street from The Pottery. When you're at a place like Williamsburg, your hotel is basically a place to sleep at night so I wasn't too disappointed in the relative lack of things to do onsite (compared to other KOAs, this one lacked).

2  Thank Curtis F

Thank you for writing about your stay! We appreciate the feedback, both things you like and dislike, as we are always aiming to improve our campground. We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed July 12, 2012

great site, but i must say we were confused as to the colonial site and the other site. we were in colonial, with the pool. rented golf cart, a good deal and dogs enjoyed riding in it as well as grandson. spent each day in busch gardens, waterpark or williamsburg, so arrived back at koa in afternoon and were exhausted. site was good. water good, electric too. disappointed at the "dirt" everywhere, no grass. hence, dirt in the motorhome, not something i prefer. store was excellent and enjoyed the music and the staff excellent. dog park was a plus. went three times a day. nice that they offer that. we have two big dogs who waited all day in the rv for us to return and then enjoyed the dog park and the golf cart rides. picnic table was nice. a little tight for our pull thru site, we are 38 feet. but it was a good place and we would stay again. staff excellent, totally the BEST. squirrels a pain the neck and spiders too. they need more deluxe pull thru sites with concrete pads. i do not like not having a concrete patio and a huge tree right outside my door. walmart one mile away for whatever you need that they do not sell in store. get the park hopper pass at the koa and save time. it was super! we had a good time on this historic vacation even with the intense heat. i wish the pictures on the website were better and had explained the two parks so we would have had a choice. would stay again.

2  Thank oceanview47

Thank you for sharing about your stay! We apologize for the confusion over the two campgrounds. We will look to clarify that issue for future guests. We hope that you will return. We love it when families bring their dogs!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

First of all let me say that the workers here are very nice. The issue is that this is really 2 KOA's owned by the same people. The KOA in the pictures and that has all the fun stuff to do is the newer KOA. We were put at the older KOA because that is where the 2 bedroom cabins were. We were up in a deserted part of the park and the only campers in that whole section. Also very far from the nearest restroom which meant in the middle of the night with small children this was an issue. Also the WIFI didn't work at our cabin "because it doesn't work so well when there are a lot of leaves on the trees". We asked if there wasn't another cabin closer to everything but was told no. The next morning another worker came and offered us a deluxe cabin for the same price for the rest of our stay. Even though we were not looking forward to making the move we did. The cabin was much nicer but the WIFI was still terrible. I just wish that they had thought about where they were putting us and offered us some other choices before we settled in the first time. Just make sure you know where you are staying. I would not be staying here again. We have stayed at KOA's all over the country for the last 8 summers -- this was by far the worst one I have ever been at.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank helot127

Thank you for relaying the concerns and disappointments you had during your stay. We appreciate your recognition that we do try our best to place our campers in locations that exceed expectations. We are working to improve the level of service we receive for our wifi, as we understand a strong internet connection is an important expectation for our guests. We are happy that you have visited so many KOA’s and appreciate your sharing ways that we can improve the service at our campground.