“Awful service”

Ranked #58 of 396 Restaurants in Williamsburg
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Sal's Ristorante Italiano in Williamsburg, Virginia, is a local Italian restaurant, serving the best in homemade pizza, pasta, and subs. Stop by our family restaurant for lunch or dinner. Our house specialties are pasta and New York style pizza. We have a full menu with many options to choose from, including make-your-own pasta dishes, a children's menu, and delicious desserts.
Reviewed July 28, 2014

My husband and I went to Sal's while we were staying in Williamsburg as part of our east coast trip for our honeymoon from the UK. Having read mostly favourable reviews on TA we were looking forward to a meal there. We arrived and were asked, not in an especially interest of welcoming tone, whether we wanted a table. We were shown to a table in the restaurant, which itself is really rather oppressive; very dark green on the walls and the tables, and altogether not a particularly nice atmosphere. We decided to stay and give it the benefit of the doubt regardless.

We went ahead and chose what we wanted to eat. No one came to take our order. We closed our menus, the waitress walked past seating another family, still no one took our order. The waitress then disappeared and there were no other waiters in the restaurant at that time so we couldn't ask to order. The waitress then came back, went straight over to the two tables that had been seated since we arrived, and took their orders. At this point we had waited just under half an hour and been completely ignored, not even been able to order drinks. So we gave up and decided to leave. On our way out my husband tried to explain to the host that we were leaving as we had been ignored. He asked my husband rather rudely to repeat this 3 times..we are English, not alien...and in the end essentially shrugged his shoulders. Absolutely appalling service in what is really a rather grim setting to start with.

3  Thank RadcliffeWanderer

Reviewed July 28, 2014

One star is being generous. Eggplant rollitini had zero eggplant and tons of canned red sauce. Chicken caccicatore had a miniscule amount of chicken. Side salad was a joke. Small plate of anemic iceberg lettuce that wasn't even green, with three rings of onion and tiny tomato wedge. They keep these" salads" stacked up on top of one another in a dirty old Coke machine. Only 2 choices of dressing. Cold commercial bread obviously not made there. Flies everywhere. Waitress spoke little English. Man at the register was rude and when applying our coupon that clearly said one free ENTREE, he only took off the cost of my son's $8.95 pizza! Two entrees with three drinks was $48 before tip! Ridiculous pricing, abysmal customer service and substandard food. How they have stayed in business so long, I have no idea.

4  Thank angcpamba
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We found Sals on the way back to our hotel. The restaurant is quaint and clean and our waitress was excellent. Our order came quickly and the portion size was more than enough. I had the chicken parm sub and my daughter had the Italian hoagie. Both subs were on par with what we've had elsewhere.

If I'm ever back in the area I would certainly come back here again for a quick lunch.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

When ever I am back in Williamsburg I will eat at Sal's. Great food and family atmosphere. The Rigatoni I had was outstanding, cooked to perfection and seasoned exactly to my liking. The Penne with vodka sauce was superb , my companion raved about it. Prices were as I expected. I will most surely eat here again.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

I realize that this restaurant has been getting negative hype. I can't imagine why. When the seven of us went for lunch after a fun filled morning at Water Country USA, we had a fantastic experience. My husband ordered a calzone and when it came to the table, he split it open to find real ricotta cheese. I almost didn't recognize it because at home we get it out of a tub but this stuff... irresistible. My manicotti was cooked perfectly; heavy on the cheese (just the way I like it). My step dad's spaghetti looked yummy and it must have been because he cleaned the plate with the restaurant's homemade bread. Our table went through 2 baskets of this bread which our waitress took the time to explain is made fresh daily.

Our waitress was attentive and pleasant. The restaurant itself was a bit outdated in décor but was more than redeemed by the excellent food. I would definitely recommend this place and, since it isn't a part of the main drag of restaurants, it wasn't very busy when we arrived around 1pm. We were inspired to go by the 10% coupon (found in one of the Williamsburg guides at our hotel) but were pleased enough to say we'd be back.