“AVOID this restaurant” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sal's Italian Restaurant

Sal's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #62 of 381 Restaurants in Williamsburg
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Sal's Ristorante Italiano in Williamsburg, Virginia, is a local Italian restaurant, serving the best in homemade pizza, pasta, and subs. Stop by our family restaurant for lunch or dinner. Our house specialties are pasta and New York style pizza. We have a full menu with many options to choose from, including make-your-own pasta dishes, a children's menu, and delicious desserts.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“AVOID this restaurant”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

One star is being generous. Eggplant rollitini had zero eggplant and tons of canned red sauce. Chicken caccicatore had a miniscule amount of chicken. Side salad was a joke. Small plate of anemic iceberg lettuce that wasn't even green, with three rings of onion and tiny tomato wedge. They keep these" salads" stacked up on top of one another in a dirty old Coke machine. Only 2 choices of dressing. Cold commercial bread obviously not made there. Flies everywhere. Waitress spoke little English. Man at the register was rude and when applying our coupon that clearly said one free ENTREE, he only took off the cost of my son's $8.95 pizza! Two entrees with three drinks was $48 before tip! Ridiculous pricing, abysmal customer service and substandard food. How they have stayed in business so long, I have no idea.

4 Thank angcpamba

Philadelphia, PA
“Great service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

We found Sals on the way back to our hotel. The restaurant is quaint and clean and our waitress was excellent. Our order came quickly and the portion size was more than enough. I had the chicken parm sub and my daughter had the Italian hoagie. Both subs were on par with what we've had elsewhere.

If I'm ever back in the area I would certainly come back here again for a quick lunch.

Bartlett, Tennessee
“Outstanding food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

When ever I am back in Williamsburg I will eat at Sal's. Great food and family atmosphere. The Rigatoni I had was outstanding, cooked to perfection and seasoned exactly to my liking. The Penne with vodka sauce was superb , my companion raved about it. Prices were as I expected. I will most surely eat here again.

Salem, Virginia
“Yum... Real Ricotta Cheese”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

I realize that this restaurant has been getting negative hype. I can't imagine why. When the seven of us went for lunch after a fun filled morning at Water Country USA, we had a fantastic experience. My husband ordered a calzone and when it came to the table, he split it open to find real ricotta cheese. I almost didn't recognize it because at home we get it out of a tub but this stuff... irresistible. My manicotti was cooked perfectly; heavy on the cheese (just the way I like it). My step dad's spaghetti looked yummy and it must have been because he cleaned the plate with the restaurant's homemade bread. Our table went through 2 baskets of this bread which our waitress took the time to explain is made fresh daily.

Our waitress was attentive and pleasant. The restaurant itself was a bit outdated in décor but was more than redeemed by the excellent food. I would definitely recommend this place and, since it isn't a part of the main drag of restaurants, it wasn't very busy when we arrived around 1pm. We were inspired to go by the 10% coupon (found in one of the Williamsburg guides at our hotel) but were pleased enough to say we'd be back.

Carrboro, North Carolina
“Yuck”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

We were a party of 4 and spent $100 on a dinner at Sal's. One person was satisfied with the calamari alla marinara. Three of us had the pasta with shrimp and scallops for $21.95. We had 3 medium shrimp and 3-4 small scallops each. I had 4 flecks of tomato. The sauce was not really a sauce. It was broth and not good broth at that. Pitiful! Watery and tasteless! If I couldn't take the ingredients listed on the menu for this dish and make something enormously better, I would close my doors. The gentleman at the register was pleasant and chatty, but that isn't worth a $100 meal that we only ate because we were tired and starving. The waitress was nice and efficient.

3 Thank Sue B B