“Not the best!”

Second Street Bistro
Ranked #10 of 393 Restaurants in Williamsburg
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Business meetings, Romantic
Description: Second Street is a Casual Upscale Restaurant marked by a menu full of unique and delicious culinary twists, stunning decor throughout, a comfortable atmosphere, and a fresh upscale vibe unmatched in Williamsburg." Our large menu features local seafood, chicken and steak entrees, handmade burgers, unique Italian dishes, overstuffed sandwiches, kid friendly foods, munchies, fresh soups and salads, extensive wine list, and a relaxed separate bar area for socializing.
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

After all the good reviews I definitely wanted to check this place out. Not so sure that was a good idea! We called ahead (30 minutes) for seating and once we arrived (30 minutes later) it took about 20 minutes to be seated. It was a very nice touch that they gave us appetizers as we waited. That day it was 70 degree and they still had the heat on, so it was about 80 degrees in the restaurant. The wait staff was sweating like crazy which was nasty and they said we would have to wait at least 20 more minutes to get outside seating, so we took the indoor seating (big mistake).

The service was quick at first, but declined after that. Our waitress was really nice, but seamed to have more tables then she could handle. We order the "Thai Poppin" shrimp appetizer and it was wonderful. For my entree I ordered the "Grilled Bistro Steak" (medium) and it was cooked perfectly, but almost flavorless. It looked like a mess of steak, mashed potatoes, broccoli and mushrooms thrown on a plate with a drizzle of nearly flavorless sauce. Needless to say, I was very disappointed given the overly positive reviews. I can get a more flavorful steak at Long Horn Steak House. The sides (mashed potatoes and broccoli) were mediocre filler that took almost no thought or creativity.

My fiancé ordered the "Carolina Burger" and it was almost as lackluster as the steak. It was all show and no go, because it looked great, but had little flavor. The only shining star was the excellent potato salad that came with it.

Needless to say, I would not spend good money or waste my time to come back to this place. It's an overpriced tourist trap.

There are newer reviews for Second Street Bistro

Reviewed March 14, 2014

visited on tues. march 11th,2014, was very surprised on the entire visit . the food was wonderful and the server was on the ball. would recommend to anyone!

Reviewed March 13, 2014

Me and my husband came to Williamsburg for the first time and were recommended by the Marriott to try Second St out. After about a 20 minute wait we got our table. It was a romantic view of the patio and waterfall and fish pond. Things were getting better and better. Our server came over and introduced himself and was very polite and well dressed, a regular James Dean. We both ordered our food and drinks. We also each got the "famous" crab chowder as an appetizer which was superb! When our food came out it was perfect to taste and presented on the plates with carful decoration. I felt like I was in a 5 star NY restaurant! He even brought us water in a wine bottle and poured it like it was champagne. He impressed me more and more as the night went on! When we got our check I didn't even look at it I just told my husband to give him the card... I made sure we took care of him with a tip because he deserved it after taking such good in depth care of me! I definetly recommend this resturaunt and if you go ask for Jake!!!

Reviewed March 13, 2014

I hate that this restaurant does not take reservations. But worse than no reservations is a "call ahead" seating that does not work. We (there are two of us) always call ahead. We live 15 to 20 minutes from the restaurant and you would think by the time we get there we would be well up on the seating list. However, we get there and watch them seat the guests as they arrive, including us. Last visit, we waited 45 minutes for our table. By the time we are seated, I am more than annoyed. But this is where the love begins. Once we are seated, the friendly and knowledgeable wait staff takes over. The food choices are vast. The wine list reasonably priced. The food is delicious with ample portions. The meal is nicely paced. If seated at a booth, the experience feels quite private. I'm in love again, and will return.

2  Thank WMBGfoodlover
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We heard the Second St Bistro in Williamsburg would be worth trying. A few blocks off from the historic district, it does not have the historic ambience. But, it does have ambience of its own and the food was fantastic. The Shrimp and Grits was unique....almost a creole of shrimp, andouille, peppers, onions and tomatoes over gouda stuffed grit cakes. Wish I knew the recipe. The crab and corn chowder was a winner too. The had the biggest carrot cake slices we have ever seen, but alas, we had no room to try it. Bet it was good too.