“Steaks Alive..What a great meal we had”

Fireside Chop House
Ranked #89 of 411 Restaurants in Williamsburg
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 11, 2009

We stumbled upon this restaurant after seeing it in one of those free Williamsburg guides. (10% off) We have to say that this was our best meal of our trip. I had the NY strip medium rare and it was done to perfection. My husband was equally delighted in his Steak Au Pauver\.(sp?) My children both had the Jr. Steaks from the children's menu(7.95) and loved them. Our server was excellent and attentive. After spending $58 for lunch in merchants square, our $107.00 with 2 wines and 4 beers, 2 desserts was an excellent walue.

Reviewed April 4, 2009

We eat here everytime we go to Williamsburg. We love prime rib and have tried it everywhere in Williamsburg and it is by far the best in town. We love the decor and the atmosphere

Reviewed February 3, 2009

We visited Williamsburg in early 2008 and had the extreme pleasure of eating at the Fireside Chop House. This was by far the best steak I have had in years, and I have eaten at some of the finest steak houses in the country, including Phil Lehr's in San Franciso, Ruth's Chris and Commander's Palace in New Orleans, The Prime Rib in Washington DC, etc. None served a tastier, juicier, or more tender steak than the Chop House. In addition, the service was very good, attentive without being overbearing, and definetly friendly rather than aloof.
The price was quite reasonable for the meal- you can't go wrong here.

Reviewed October 18, 2008

My husband and I went there to have a nice dinner. The food was 'AWFUL AND OVER PRICED" My husband ordered "Prime Rib" $ 26.00 . It looked like "Prime Garbage". The meat was over cooked, very dry, had lots of fat and the meat looked like it was rolled in dirty mud. As for the side choices, who wants french fries as a side choice when you are paying good money for a meal! There must be a shortage on lettuce in this country. There was not enough salad on the plate to feed a rabbit! Oh, let's not forget about the slice of tomatoe, it was more like the end piece with the core attached to it.

As for my meal, what a joke. I ordered the "Rainbow Trout" (stuffed with crab meat) $28.00 . The fish still had the head attached to it with the eyes winking at you. The fish was dry, the skin was slimy and the so-called crab meat was dry as well. The portion of the fish was not enough to feed a kitten. As for my side choices, garlic mash potato or french fries (here we go again with the french fries) or one piece of Broccoli . Thats right! One piece of Broccoli. I ordered the garlic mash potato. The serving size was almost a table spoon and the mashed potato was cold.

After our wonderful meal, which we hardly ate any of it, the waiter asked if we wanted any dessert. Who in their right mind would order dessert when the meal was so bad!

I must say the waiter was pleasant and the restaurant was cozy, but we went there to have a nice dinner and left hungry. McDonalds sure taste good after we left there.

If you want to take anyone out to eat who served you a terrible meal at their house, this is the place to go. !

Reviewed September 6, 2008

Food was excellent and the restaurant appears to have been renovated nicely since our last visit several years ago. I would give the service about a grade of a B as the server could have been a bit more attentive and once forgot about our drink refills. Overall, a nice place to dine in Williamsburg amid of a sea of over-priced, low-quality tourist traps.