“Very good food”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Very good food”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Arrived with a party of 4. Was seated immediately. Ordered mixed drinks, some items not available due to blender being broke. All had hibachi grill. Food was prepared very well and with great show. Will recommend and return

• Visited April 2013

Newport News, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dangerous for Children”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Went there for St. Patrick's Day 2013 with family and our young daughter. The place was dead (no customers), poorly lit and the front door was grimy. I guess you should be leery of a place in a strip mall next to an outlet mall, but we chanced it.

We decided to have some fun and opt for the hibachi grill. We waited over an hour for the cook to come to our table. The limp salad and salty soup were long gone by then. They never even brought out hot towels (this is a Japanese place, right?) and the plates were dirty and we had to ask for new plates.

The chef was a waste. He asked about the orders and started to cook. The first minute were good with the fire he used to clean the grill and we were excited for the entertainment. Little did we know that this was the extent of the show. Really, that was it. My daughter was so sad that she even asked the guy to dance or sing.

He attempted to twirl and break an egg. It would have been funny if it wasn't so sad. He broke all three eggs on the grill while trying to catch them. He still stirred those broken eggs in the stir fried rice. When they were served, there were broken eggs in the food! My child could have been harmed by that. I told him there was egg in the rice and he said, "so sorry." But he still left the food on our plates and kept cooking. We were shocked, really shocked.

Then he tried to make an onion volcano and fire flew from his hand onto my daughter's lap. It was so dangerous and everyone at the table panicked. He then just slapped all the food on the grill, stirred it together and served it on the egg-shelled rice. He poured water on the grill, and walked away. The grill started smoking and the waitress came over to turn the grill off after the fumes got to be too much.

They still had the nerve to charge us full price for this mess. We didn't even eat the food and tried to talk to the waitress about the issue. She just said, "sorry."

It was so bad that I'm trying to get reimbursed from my credit card company. BEWARE!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank katieandtiggs
“disgusting”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

horrible service. food was horrible. walls are dirty and gross. cooks are messy and food flys everywhere while they cook. unhappy cooks, not fun experience. really, save yourself the trouble. no lunch menu for hibatchi. spent 25 for horrible food and service.

virginia
“Poor. Unfortunate.”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I have a soft spot for the retailer, for the small business in particular. It absolutely breaks my heart to write a bad review. I never do, I'd rather just not comment at all. But in this instance, i really felt that if i had read some honest reviews, I at least could have avoided this place, for sushi. Poorly prepared, inexperienced presentation and poor quality. Our fresh salmon was "pink," and our smoked salmon roll was the same pink salmon. We asked if it was smoked and three different employees told us three different things. Poorly trained and impertinent staff, without even listening to some simple question we had about the menu, the automatic response was to explain us what "Americans usually like are the rolls." Please...

There is a kid menu, but not strikingly kid friendly staff. Not a stand out for atmosphere, old and cheaply decorated. That said, the hibachi or fried rice is probably a safe bet. We would have left but the kids had to be fed. And we didn't eat our sushi. My deepest sympathies...

Maryland, New York
“Waste of money......”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

**BEWARE** I have eaten at quite a few hibachi restaurants and this one is the pits. We arrived at 9pm and there was a VERY intoxicated person sitting at one of the hibachi tables with a large party. This poor soul kept trying not to pass out, eyes closed she kept falling over sideways. I was shocked when we were seated at the very next table right in front of this party, when there were at least 3 empty hibachi tables to choose from. I asked that our party be moved to another table so that my children and i did not have to keep watching this poor woman. The management did send us a complimentary tempura appetizer because of the spectacle. Unfortunately the tempura gave me a tummy ache. Anywhooo... the young male chef who prepared our meal was pleasant but did not have on clean attire plus the table even after it was wiped had old food scattered across the top. As the chef tossed knives and clanged and cut the entrees he frequently sprayed the food on us. Most disgusting was the clean up which the chef handled with an already VERY filthy cloth. All the food was scraped up and shoved down a hole on the chef's side of the table and then the grill was wiped with the same filthy cloth...yuck! There was a hair in my fried rice which just ruined the rest of the meal for me. My kids said their food was just ok, overly seasoned. Hayashi serves grilled noodles instead of the bean sprouts I am used too having in hibachi restaurants. Also way overpriced for what you get, and the ambiance. Sorry Hayashi needs to clean up their act. My advice, in Williamsburg there are so many choices... go somewhere else.

• Visited August 2012