“So-so food, service and decor”

The Jefferson Restaurant
Ranked #109 of 395 Restaurants in Williamsburg
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Over 4 Generations - Since 1956 the family owned and operated,Jefferson Restaurant has been serving mouth watering specialties such as our very own Virginia Peanut Soup, steaks,seafood, southern favorites, and Italian dishes served in an English Country setting. Lobster and SteakGuaranteed to bring great memories for all.
Reviewed April 15, 2013

This restaurant looks very tired. It tries to be colonial, from the buggy outside to the colonial costume of the hostess and the decor, but it falls short. The tables, chairs, wallpaper and curtains look old, but not in a good way. The Jefferson salad, which comes with the meal, consists of iceberg lettuce, a few onion rings, several fat slices of carrot, 1 slice of green pepper and 1 small tomato wedge. The menu has many fried selections and healthy choices are few. We had the grilled salmon and the broiled shrimp. The fish was brought out at least five minutes before the baked potatoes, which meant that the fish was cold by the time the remainder of the meal arrived. Our waiter promptly filed our water glasses, but made no effort to make us feel welcome or to explain anything on the menu. The specials, which were all fried, were listed on a small paper attached to the menu. We thought we would try this restaurant because it is not part of a chain, but I think we would have had a better meal at a chain restaurant.

1  Thank Crcb

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Excellent food ,and service. I had the southern sampler with peanut soup. Ribs ,southern fried chicken and ribs were delicious. The soup was home made and very good, the rolls were hot and fresh.my wife had the chicken parm and my son had the Delmonico steak . We had a great dinner with excellent service. We used our 10% discount so dinner with a bottle of wine with 2 extra bar drinks was 103.09 well worth every penny!
I noticed some bad reviews, and I can't understand why,I've gone to the Jefferson for years at Easter break and never had a bad meal here,

Reviewed April 14, 2013

stoped by for lunch outside appearance was great. greeted at the door quickly and seated. Hostess offered some excellent suggestions. Waiter offered histroy facts. Do not understand how they got "best steak 2012" meal was poor quality and not as printed o the menu. my wife ordered ribeye with paper sauce. It was not rib eye not scent of pepper.

1  Thank toys4dad
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We were drawn to the "Best Steaks in Williamsburg" sign outside of the restaurant. Parking lot was not full, when we walked in dated colonial style restaurant. Staff was pleasant. Food was overpriced but given the location it's expected. For what you pay for a steak ($20-$30) you'd expect much more than what you pay for. We've had better steaks elsewhere. At least we can say we've visited The Jefferson Inn, which was the first and last visit.

1  Thank BizTravlerJunky
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We went for an early dinner. First off the interior is extremly dated. The staff are very pleasent, but not in a big hurry. The menu has some neat things on it, and we were told the chops and steaks were fabulous. I got the ribeye with peppercorn sauce. I ordered it medium rare. It was $24. It came and was very thin. It was tough and tasteless with a thin brown sauce on it...no hint of pepper let alone a peppercorn. My baked potato was undercooked. One member of our party got the pork chops and said they were good. Two others got the stuffed chicken over ham. The chicken was tastelss and covered with pepper. My husband decided to try my steak, and he is not picky...and he said..this is awful, and it tastes like round and not rib eye. I can tell you there's no way it was grilled...Do yourself a favor and avoid this place...and I don't know who votes for food in Williamsburg..but they should try the food first.

1  Thank bumblebeeMaine