“Shocked sums it up...”

The Jefferson Restaurant
Ranked #126 of 383 Restaurants in Williamsburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Over 4 Generations - Since 1956 the family owned and operated,Jefferson Restaurant has been serving mouth watering specialties such as our very own Virginia Peanut Soup, steaks,seafood, southern favorites, and Italian dishes served in an English Country setting. Lobster and SteakGuaranteed to bring great memories for all.
United States
“Shocked sums it up...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

We were drawn to the "Best Steaks in Williamsburg" sign outside of the restaurant. Parking lot was not full, when we walked in dated colonial style restaurant. Staff was pleasant. Food was overpriced but given the location it's expected. For what you pay for a steak ($20-$30) you'd expect much more than what you pay for. We've had better steaks elsewhere. At least we can say we've visited The Jefferson Inn, which was the first and last visit.

1 Thank BizTravlerJunky

Maine
“Best Steak House??? The others must be really bad...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

We went for an early dinner. First off the interior is extremly dated. The staff are very pleasent, but not in a big hurry. The menu has some neat things on it, and we were told the chops and steaks were fabulous. I got the ribeye with peppercorn sauce. I ordered it medium rare. It was $24. It came and was very thin. It was tough and tasteless with a thin brown sauce on it...no hint of pepper let alone a peppercorn. My baked potato was undercooked. One member of our party got the pork chops and said they were good. Two others got the stuffed chicken over ham. The chicken was tastelss and covered with pepper. My husband decided to try my steak, and he is not picky...and he said..this is awful, and it tastes like round and not rib eye. I can tell you there's no way it was grilled...Do yourself a favor and avoid this place...and I don't know who votes for food in Williamsburg..but they should try the food first.

1 Thank bumblebeeMaine
Harrisonburg Va
“Outdated, But Still a Nice Place to Eat”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I have been visiting the Jefferson Inn for over twenty years now. The inside has not changed much in that time. The staff has always been very friendly and helpful. I have noticed over the past few years that the quality of the food has gone down a little. For quality and price there are better places in Williamsburg, but for sentimental reasons we will continue to frequent the Jefferson when we visit Williamsburg.

Baltimore, Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I ate MREs' (Meals Ready to Eat) that tasted better!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Nice atmosphere, nice staff, disgusting food! While completing our tour of Colonial Williamsburg, the family and I decided to eat at this elegant, colonial styled restaurant. The staff were pleasant, all dressed in colonial wear. The decor matched the theme - 1800s. My wife and son ordered the sugar cured ham, one with the pineapple sauce and one without, with a side of mashed potatoes and french fries. I ordered the swordfish with green beans. When the waiter tells you something is not good, take their advice. The business was somewhat slow for the evening so the food came out fast. Not only was it cold, but no taste at all. My swordfish was bland, fishy - an indication that it was frozen, not fresh. My wife and son's ham was lousy. Sad to say, very overpriced for the quality of food. We recommend that you do not eat here.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Mark C
Clifton, Virginia
“Lovely staff, good service, good food -- not so much.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

We picked this restaurant because it offered the charm of Williamsburg, and it did deliver - at least as far as ambiance. The staff was very friendly, and attentive and we were looking forward to some wonderful food. Sadly, we were disappointed.
I ordered Southern Fried Chicken anticipating the juicy, crispy coated delicacy that usually characterizes that dish. What I received had nothing in common with Southern Fried chicken. It was dry, hard, bony and terrible tasting." Homemade" applesauce from a jar, and a "Jefferson" salad which, while not terrible, was at best unremarkable - a few iceberg lettuce leaves, one wedge of hothouse tomato and two rings of onion - nothing I could see that made it special.
The peanut soup was the one positive note of the meal and I wish I had stopped with that.
I feel sorry that I cannot recommend this restaurant for everyone was so nice and friendly; But I will not be returning.

• Visited March 2013