“Best country ham!”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We had lunch at Old Chickahominy House today:

PROS:
-Wonderful country ham biscuits - if you like true salty country ham you will love this place.
-Friendly staff
-Nice gift shop attached with plenty of places to sit while you wait for your table and visit with the resident cat

CONS:
-Their operating schedule is a little strange (closed between breakfast and lunch) so I would advise checking out their website to plan your visit beforehand. They do take reservations for lunch but be prepared to call at 7am the day of to put your name on the list.

We would definitely eat here again - the reason to come is the ham biscuits but my Dad had a club sandwich that he said was also very good. It is not fancy at all so if that is your expectation then look elsewhere. But if you want excellent ham biscuits and sweet tea, look no further!

2  Thank ProfFarnsworth

Reviewed June 8, 2012

This lovely old house/antique/gift shop is a requirement whenever we visit Williamsburg. I became a fan when I lived there for 5 years - and I still crave Miss Melinda's country ham biscuits and gravy. Nothing like them!

Be prepared to wait a long time on the weekends -- the place only seats about 24, and you may have to share a table w/strangers, but you won't mind - the food is THAT good. while you're waiting for your seat, browse the gift shop, and pet the 'house cat', or rock on the porch.

Everyone absolutely must try the ham biscuits. Very finely diced/shredded country ham, with a creamy white gravy, served over tiny square biscuits --- OMG it's to die for. You can BUY the ham from the gift shop, which I always do, and take it home, freeze it, and serve it whenever I have company back home in NC.

A lifelong fan who will always visit here when I'm in Wmsbrg!

1  Thank alisluv
Reviewed May 25, 2012

My husband and I always try and stop for a ham biscuit and to the pet the cat. We love the food, and the possiblites of shopping for knick knacks too.
Always good.

Reviewed May 23, 2012

Nice lady served. Was interesting to see Southern cooking and interesting to go right next door to see there wares for sale in the gift shop.

Reviewed May 23, 2012

We had lunch last week at the Old Chickahominy House. I can honestly say it was one of the worst dining out experiences ever. Yes, the wait staff was friendly, as was the owner, and the prices were certainly good. But the "salad," "biscuits," "ham," and pie were just awful. The ham was salty and dried out -- looked a little like chipped beef. The biscuits were hard and cold and the Brunswick stew was -- in my husband's word -- disgusting. Maybe they were having an off day, but I would not recommend this place to anyone except maybe Gordon Ramsey, Would be interesting to see if he could save it.