“Upscale Seafood”

Seafare of Williamsburg
Reserve with OpenTable
Seafare of Williamsburg is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 396 Restaurants in Williamsburg
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Richmond Road
Description: A 2012,2013 DIRONA Award Winner featuring three unique dining rooms. The Seafare of Williamsburg introduces a 91-item menu that features fresh seafood, certified prime beef and tender veal. Our speciality is sauton ceramic cooking where seafood is simmered in its own juices and blended with ingredients.
Reviewed January 12, 2013

The Seafare was established in the 1970s and not much has changed since then except prices. Many of the niceties of fine dining from that era still remain such as white tablecloths and cloth napkins, amuse bouch before the first course, sherbet palate cleansers between courses and tableside flaming dessert preparations. Many of the black-tied wait staff have been there for years and know how to serve in a professional manner. Seafood is the main speciality, even though they have steaks I have never tried them. The entree price range falls into the $18.00-$30.00 area, steaks are higher. A unique specialty is called "Sauton" which is your choice of fish or seafood cooked along with vegetables in the natural fish juices inside a crockery pot. The night my husband and I were there, he started with a clam chowder which, being from new England, he found to be okay. His sauteed swordfish was well prepared and topped with sauteed vegetables. I started with a house salad which was overpriced at $6. It consisted of iceberg lettuce, some of which was brown, and a couple of slices of cucumber, onion, and tomato. The vinagrette tasted very salty to me. My entree was a seafood casserole ($24) which consisted of 5 medium sized scallops, 5 medium shrimp and several chunks of lobster prepared in a butter wine sauce. It was excellent. We had an accompanyment of sauteed asparagus with hollandaise which, too, was perfect. I choose a Vouvray ($33) from the Loire Valley as the best choice to serve with our seafood meals. The wine list is deceiving...it look as if it is a thick leather book of a vast array of wines until you open and find that only one wine is listed per page. There were only a couple of negatives with my overall opinion; one being cold bread served in a covered basket one would think to hold in the warmth, but not so. Even when corn muffins were brought to the table along with the entree, they were cold. All wines, even my light white chenin blanc, are served in short balloon type glasses, which are more in keeping with a Burgundy. Otherwise, the food and service here are outstanding.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Was a bit worried when we walked in wearing jeans and sweaters and the staff were in tuxedos, but we were dressed similarly to pretty much all the other patrons. Excellent service, good selection of mainly seafood, our meals were good but not quite up to what I would expect for the price ($25-$30+ entrees).

1  Thank Jeff L
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We dined at Seafare tonight, New Year's Eve, and our server, Gerganna, could not have served us better. Moments after we sat down she served a warm sweet bread and took our drink order. When she returned, our water glasses had already been served and she explained the evenings specials and asked if we would like starters. My sister ordered the Chesapeake Bay Oysters (very nice), my brother-in-law ordered the calamari and I ordered the Chopped Salad for 2 that served all three of us and we brought another serving home. As we finished our starters and salad, Gerganna arrived with a palate cleanser of orange sherbet and by the time we had finished, our entrees arrive and were all exceptional. The only, very minor issue was that the baked potatoes were not hot enough to melt the butter. We were served three kinds of bread throughout the meal and chose to not have dessert. The entire experience was delightful.

2  Thank USArmyMom22846
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Party of 8 with reservation arrived on time but was seated at crowded table that barely held 6 adults. Manager acted as if we were not expected. Waiter acted like it was a bother to serve us. Waited 30 minutes to order while waiter served adjoining table. Waiter did not write down any orders. When food finally arrived one entree was missing. No apology given. Missing entree arrived 15 minutes later after everyone else had finished eating. Missing entree (veal Oscar) was hastily prepared and meat was greasy while crab was chewy. No apology from manager and no offer to adjust bill. One couple in the party of 8 are regular customers and were likely embarassed by treatment of their friends. I will never return to Seafare.

Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

We dined at Seafare during our visit to Williamsburg. Our intent was to have a nice fish dinner, but we got so much more. The atmosphere is comfortable and pleasant. The servers are more than accommodating. The choices on the menu are varied, the presentation was appealing. And not to forget the quality of the meal.
Great find and a place I would not hesitate to recommend for value, service, and quality

2  Thank Rowan1970