“disappointing this time”

The Trellis Bar and Grill
Ranked #40 of 383 Restaurants in Williamsburg
Cuisines: American, Soups
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Bar scene
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Standing as a monument to regional cuisine, the Trellis Restaurant is at the forefront of modern American dining. With a focus on local,responsibly raised products and small scale,artisan farmers, the menu brings the very best of the region to your table with outstanding flavors and beautiful presentation. Monday thru Friday Lunch: 11am till 3pm Afternoon menu: 3pm till 4:30pm Dinner: 5pm till 9pm Saturday Breakfast 8am till 10:30am Lunch: 11am till 4pm Dinner: 5pm till 9pm Sunday Brunch: 10am till 3pm Dinner: 4pm till 9pm
new jersey
“disappointing this time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

I have been to Trellis many times for breakfast and lunch on my visits to Williamsburg, but this was the first time I had dinner there. I have to remind you that Marcel Desauliers is no longer the owner. We arrived early to join our party, so decided to have a drink at the bar. The female bar tender gave me a long strange stare when I asked for an eggnog with rum. My husband and I both noticed an uncomfortable attitude at the bar.
This is a lovely looking restuarant, all decorated for Christmas. I have no problem with the physical appearance, but I do with the food. A slate of bread arrived, all cut up and not arranged nicely. It was dry and nobody ate it for this reason. My appetiser was a sweet pepper soup with some crabmeat . It looked attractive, but was much too heavy on the cream. My entree was T bone lamb chops. I love lamb, but although the presentation was good, the lamb, sausages, potatoes and asparagus were over spiced and swimming in a dark sauce , which tasted like a bottle of worschestire sauce was poured on it. I have to admit, that I make much better, better lamb at home. I tried, but couldn't eat my dinner. The young polite staff of women never asked if we enjoyed our meal at any time. I didn't have dessert and left disappointed with my meal. I may go back for breakfast again sometime, but not for dinner.

• Visited December 2013

• Finnish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Warning: This Is Not Your Old Trellis”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

In the past no trip to Williamsburg was complete without a trip to Trellis. This time, we should have skipped it.
We lunched there on Wednesday afternoon, the day before Thanksgiving, but wish we had gone elsewhere. I had the clam chowder which was very bland. I asked for hot sauce, but it didn’t help. Hubby and I split the roast beef sandwich, which was also tasteless. The kitchen apparently cannot even infuse any flavor in horseradish sauce. Other diners around us were commenting on the blandness of the food and everyone was salting heavily trying to infuse some flavor.
Wait staff was indifferent. Our server left the cold, congealed and discarded chowder on the table although it was clear I was done with it.
Marcel Desaulniers is no longer is associated with Trellis, and his absence is clearly felt. Dine and spend at your own risk.

• Visited November 2013
3 Thank SidelineObservant
“Thanksgiving, turkey optional ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

Dining here with my large family for the holiday was the right call: Friendly service, a full bar, and no one blinked when my two-year old had to get up frequently to walk around -- despite the fact that the place was definitely in the fine dining category. The hostess was particularly friendly and helpful with him.
The turkey dinner plate was great- so I heard from my husband - but I opted for blackened salmon, seared to a perfect medium rare and deftly seasoned, served over mixed greens. As the frequent Thanksgiving cook, it was great not to have to eat turkey and clean up.
The tiniest complaint was that the food took longer than I had hoped and we had to skip dessert. But since we had a large party and several kids, my sense of time may have been altered.
We'll be back with older kids!

Windermere, Florida, United States
“One of the Best Breakfast Experiences Evah!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

Truly. This was epic. If you visit Williamsburg and go to the Farmer's Market, then visiting The Trellis for breakfast completes one of the best mornings of your life. Every detail, every dish was magnificent. My husband had the Slow Roasted Duck Hash which totally rocked him. These people care tremendously about food and it shows. Do not miss this.

Visited May 2013
tennessee
“Delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

Just had lunch here so can't comment on dinner but lunch was excellent. We had 4 different entrees between the group and everyone was happy.

Visited November 2013