“Below the competition”

The Trellis Bar and Grill
Ranked #41 of 383 Restaurants in Williamsburg
Cuisines: American, Soups
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Standing as a monument to regional cuisine, the Trellis Restaurant is at the forefront of modern American dining. With a focus on local,responsibly raised products and small scale,artisan farmers, the menu brings the very best of the region to your table with outstanding flavors and beautiful presentation. Monday thru Friday Lunch: 11am till 3pm Afternoon menu: 3pm till 4:30pm Dinner: 5pm till 9pm Saturday Breakfast 8am till 10:30am Lunch: 11am till 4pm Dinner: 5pm till 9pm Sunday Brunch: 10am till 3pm Dinner: 4pm till 9pm
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
“Below the competition”
Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

Had reservations at 6:30 and were seated promptly and our orders were taken but our food didn't arrive for 50 minutes.
Waitress didn't know what the roasted vegetables were. After asking for our check it took another 15 minutes to finalize our evening. The food was ok but nothing special. Oh and did I mention the bug on the table!

• Finnish first
Chesapeake, Virginia, United States
“Not such a Grand Illumination”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

On Sunday, December 2nd, I attended the Grand Illumination at Colonial Williamsburg. Knowing that I was to be there for the day and the crowds that come, I set up reservation for the Trellis at 6:30pm. I have been to the Trellis many times, but just recently learned that it was sold and is under new management. I have since eaten there since the buy out, and it was good at that time. I arrived at the restaurant about 30 minutes early and checked in. I wasn't in a rush and could wait until the table was ready. Since I was dining alone, I was placed at a two top table, which was fine for me. It was the location that wasn't so fine. The day had been pretty mild, but by 6pm it had started to really get cold. My table was just in front of a door that lead to the outside patio. Just after I sat down, the door started being opened every two minutes. When each opening, a blast of cold air would hit me. After about five minutes, my waitress came to the table and asked how I was doing. I told her that I was starting to get really cold. She just laughed and said, "And they placed you right in front of the door that gets opened a lot." She then took my drink order and left. She didn't even offer to see if there was another table. So I used my sweater to cover my legs and hoped for the best. I placed my order for warm fig and dates on a goat cheese tart to start off with and an entree of shrimp and grits. I am from South Carolina and have cooked for a living. Shrimp and grits are one of my favorites. Plus I had had them before so I knew what to expect. After my trio of bread, another waitress brings my entree. I looked at her and asked if I wasn't to get my tart first. She apologized and brought my tart. The tart was good. I was a little surprised by what they warmed the figs in, but overall it was good. By this point, I was freezing. I had taken my sweater off my legs and put it on in a bid to keep warm. I even made a face as one of the many wait staff came in the door. She stopped and asked if there was something I needed. I told her that I was freezing. She didn't know what to say. After a moment of silence, I dismissed her. Then my second dish of shrimp and grits arrived. I should have known this wasn't going to be good when they brought a spoon as well. The shrimp part of the dish was fine. Not seasoned really well, but was ok. But the grits were swimming in broth. As I tried to eat the grits, it was mix with the broth and tasted like gritty soup. It wasn't anything like what I had before. I finished the shrimp and tried to eat the "Soup" but it just wasn't any good. This was not shrimp and grits. It was soup. When the waitress returned, she offered me dessert which I deleted. I was so cold by that point I just wanted to go. I payed for my meal and headed out the front door. As I left, I told the hostess that this had been one of the worst meals I had ever eaten. I told her that first they had placed me in front of a door that opened so often that I should have just been on the patio freezing with all the others that had not made reservations. And that the shrimp and grits weren't shrimp and grits. It was soup. All she could do was stand there and say, "Ah". I just walked out. Since last night I have heard nothing from them. They took my name and phone number when I placed my reservation along with my credit card number. Since nothing. I have to say I am very disappointed in the service and food this time. I will make sure next time to find a different place to go.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Michelle D
Linden, Va
“Thanksgiving 2012 at the Trellis”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Our family of 4 enjoyed a delicious traditional meal at the Trellis for Thanksgiving Day 2012. They serve a meal with all the trimmings...turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, cranberry sauce and stuffing. Everything was terrific! We also ordered a crab dip style appetizer which was one of the best that we've had! Be sure to save room for dessert as they're Death by Chocolate cake is to die for!
The ambiance in this restaurant is great for a relaxing yet fine dining experience. Great for families or couples. The seating is quite comfortable in the curved booths in the main dining hall. I hope to reserve the more private table closer to the back for a large family gathering at the holidays when my nephew is large enough to appreciate and understand the experience.
We will definitely be back for another great meal when we visit Williamsburg next holiday season!

Visited November 2012
“A little disappointed”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

WE dined at The Trellis several years ago and loved it but this trip was just OK. We had to wait to get in which was expected but once seated the server unattentive and slow. Her mind must have be elseware. When served, finally, I would call the food just OK, and the prices were a little on the high side. Being just outside the entrance to Colonial Williamsburg I guess they can get away with it for tourists who just come and go. It did not meet our expectations!

• Visited November 2012
new jersey
“my #1 choice for breakfast!”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I have eaten and reviewed here, but never for breakfast. We needed an early breakfast, and this restaurant opens at 8am, when mostly everything else is closed or only opened for brunch on Sat or Sun. Trellis is so charming and quiet. Their breakfasts are lite fare, yogarts, bagels and oatmeal with fruit or a more hearty breakfast of omlets and french toast ranging in price from $5.95-$10.95. Parking directly behind the restaurant for free. Our waitress was very efficient and cheerful, pouring french pressed coffee at our table. Portions are generous and arranged artistically on warmed plates . Christmas music was playing. We enjoyed our breakfast so much that we returned the following morning before our road trip back to NJ. We orderd ham and biscuits which were placed in sturdy plastic containers along with our left over coffee and fruit. I can't praise this restaurant enough. It is truly a gem and a grat find.

Visited November 2012