“Excellent Place for Lunch and Dessert for Chocolate Lovers”

Mad about Chocolate
Ranked #48 of 395 Restaurants in Williamsburg
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: MAD about Chocolate is a delicious chocolate cafe in the heart of historic Williamsburg, Virginia. Renowned for generous and gooey cookies, double MAD brownies, the W&M Tribe cookie, Golly Polly Doodles and and other amazing chocolate confections, MAD also offers lunch, drinking chocolate, home-made ice cream, double-brewed coffee, beer and wine. MAD about Chocolate is open 6 days a week for your chocolate happiness. All can be enjoyed in our cafe, our pet-friendly patio or taken to go! We don't just make chocolate. We make happiness.
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I came to MAD About Chocolate for lunch during a day trip to Colonial Williamsburg in early October 2012. A friend who went to William & Mary recommended to get the 'Death by Chocolate' dessert that Marcel Desaulniers created at Trellis. But since I was planning on eating elsewhere for dinner, I wanted to get a light, fast lunch during a break from activities at the Colonial Williamsburg. I found out about the Desaulniers' new venture MAD About Chocolate on TripAdvisor as I looked for a good option for lunch place.

The location of MAD About Chocolate is a little out of the way from the main commercial areas (DOG Street area), but it was within short walking distance. I thought it was actually nice to take a break from the big crowd.

The restaurant was small but had a very welcoming atmosphere. It was very nicely decorated in with lots of bright colors and patterns. I thought it went well with the 'main attraction' of the place, its chocolate-related products. The kitchen was right behind the counter, so you could see Mr. Desaulniers and his staff preparing the food for the guests.

I ordered the savory cheesecake of the day, which was served with salad and came out quite quickly. It was very delicious and perfect for a light lunch that still leave some room for dessert.

I also got the signature dessert, the MAD cake (I suppose it's their equivalence to the Death by Chocolate at Trellis). My first mistake was to underestimate and not checking the real size of this dessert. One slice was big enough to feed four people, and that's probably how most people eat it (to share). I was alone, and I had this monster chocolate cake to eat.

My second mistake was to attempt to finish that cake myself. I still had another half day to walk around in Colonial Williamsburg, so I didn't want to tote around leftover chocolate cake (which I wasn't sure would still be good if not refrigerated). So I went through about half of the cake until one of the store staff who came to pick up my empty lunch plate asked if I wanted a to-go box for the cake. I declined and told her I would try to finish it, but she knew better and gave me a box anyway.

I finally gave up and took the rest of the cake in the to go box. I went back to my car at the Visitor Center and left the leftover cake in the back seat covered with a jacket, and that turned out to be fine. In hindsight, I should have just enjoyed small portion of the cake and take the rest home.

The cake itself was not only about quantity but also more about quality. I thought it was among the best chocolate cakes I had ever had, you could taste the high quality and the mastery of the preparation, and I didn't feel sick of eating like what often time happened if eating too much of rich and sweet dessert.

While I was eating, I noticed also that Mrs. Desaulniers went around and talked to some of the patrons who gave great feedback on the lunch experience (and I noticed her responses on TripAdvisor reviews as well). That's a wonderful, personalized customer service that showed the love and care that went to this business by its owners.

Overall, I really enjoyed my lunch at MAD About Chocolate, and would highly recommend it (w/ caution on the cake size!) to anyone going to Williamsburg.

1  Thank rsetia67
Connie D, Owner at Mad about Chocolate, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2012

Wow, what a wonderful report of your MAD visit. Thank you so much - and most of all, we are glad you enjoyed the food and were able to pace yourself on the MAD cake (you're right, every bit of the 8-layer cake is made from scratch). I hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Williamsburg and will come back to the area often!

Reviewed October 28, 2012

What an awesome additon to the Williamsburg eatery line up. The selection of sweet treats is wonderful, offering a different and memorable experience. If you like chocolate, go here!

Connie D, Owner at Mad about Chocolate, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Thanks, Navigator556! I hope you can return again soon to enjoy Williamsburg and MAD about Chocolate. Connie

Reviewed October 28, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by the whimsical and upbeat decor and happy to see the tables were surrounded by entranced consumers. The limited menu was surprisingly savory and very fast. Entrees are soups, salads, quiches, and other specials. Of course, the best part was the desserts as this is owned by the original chef of the Trellis which was world renowned for its"Death by Chocolate" dessert. You will find it here, just a few blocks from the Trellis in Merchants Square. There are other wonderful treats and the prices are very reasonable.

1  Thank DeAnna T

Thanks, Deanna T, for your nice comments about your recent visit to MAD about Chocolate. We are now in our 7th month, and the feedback is so helpful. I hope you can come again soon. Connie

Reviewed October 28, 2012

I know it is very "in" to wax poetic about this place, but it just didn't do it for me. Now, I have to be honest to say that deserts are not really my thing but they advertise that you an get lunch options there so my friend and I decided to try it. Two choices was what was offered; a soup and a savory quiche. The soup was ok but nt worth the price and my friends quiche was large, filling and tasty but she did no feel it was worth all those calories and cholesterol! I am sure many people love the deserts but it was not for me.

Hi Doglover30 - we are so sorry you were disappointed when you visited MAD in April. We sincerely appreciate your feedback. Yes, indeed, we are a dessert-lovers place, and you're right, we also have a few lunch items - including some new ones, e.g. savory bread pudding and a savory tart. All come with a side salad for $8. Since everything is made from scratch (including the salad dressing) we feel it is a good value, but understand everyone has different needs and priorities. I hope you'll come back and try us again. Connie

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Please relocate to my town! Durham would welcome you with open arms!!!
We have visited the cafe each time we were visiting Williamsburg. And, on both occasions, left with smiles and a box full of treats. The staff are welcoming, the food is fantastic, and the decor and art are lovely. Our first visit was in April, and we met Connie - a wonderful lady - enjoyed our conversation and orientation to the menu and displays. We immediately signed up for their mailings. I love the newsletter and look forward to them. When we visited the area in October, we had friends who we had to take by there prior to our leaving. They also loved the place.
This is one of those places you can go to and relax, chat with friends, enjoy some great dessert, wines, and light-fare tastings (salads, etc). They keep the menu interesting, not overwhelming, and I can't say enough how much we enjoy the food. I haven't tried ordering and having things shipped to us, possibly I will over the holidays and let our friends here enjoy the experience as we did.

We love Durham , but have our hands full in Williamsburg! Hopefully you can get back often. We really appreciate the nice comments and are so glad you have had good experiences when you visit. We are always adding new things - come back soon! Connie