“Absolutely the Worst!”

Williamsburg Plantation Resort
The Poconos, Pennsylvania
“Absolutely the Worst!”
Reviewed January 4, 2006

Our stay at Williamsburg Plantation in June 2005 was the worst stay we have ever encountered. I would never return to this resort, or reccommend it to anyone. To think we wasted our one family vacation for the year on this! We should have known from the moment we arrived, when we were being checked in by THE RUDEST Front Desk Manager, that this was the start of a disaster. We woke up every morning by 7am to the sound of nail guns that the construction crew were using to put the new roof on the building next to ours. Then in the middle of breakfast the phone rang..the staff called EVERY morning to see if we had wanted to spend an hour or two out of our day listening to a sales pitch and they'd give us free admission tickets to the area amusement park or the waterpark. We reminded them EVERY morning that we were not interested and stop calling us! Then we went to use the indoor pool and was told by the staff that the indoor pool is under construction and is closed. Finally, we were so disgusted that we actually cut our trip short by two days and went home early. So much for a relaxing vacation...we only have to wait one more year to have one.

Stayed June 2005
29 Thank justsumchik

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
virginia beach
Reviewed December 29, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the resort on 12/16-12/23. Overall our stay was OK. The unit was spacious but the layout was a little odd. The master bathroom was connected to the guest room. I asked a girl at the front desk why the master bathroom is connected to the guest room and she said just incase we want to share the Jacuzzi with our guests. This made no sense to us. I have family that live in the area so I invited my younger siblings ages 9 and 10; my husband and I just moved the twin beds together and stayed in the guest room. We participated in Bingo and were impressed with the turnout. Besides Bingo there is not much to do in the winter unless you love to shop. My husband and I were invited for a 45 minute “Survey Meeting”. I asked several staff members about the length of the meeting and all said it would take 30 to 45 minutes. We were told we would get a free meal out of the meeting so we decided to participate. Once we arrived we were greeted by young man and I told him we had to leave in an hour (We had other plans for the day that is why I asked several people about the length of the survey, we wanted to plan accordingly). Once we told him that we had to leave in an hour, he excused himself and came back to tell us he couldn’t do the survey because that would not be enough time. I explained to him we were told on several occasions that the meeting would take no more than 45 minutes. He told us he had never heard of the survey being 45 minutes long and that we were misinformed and had to come back to do the survey when we had more time. That made us furious because we were lied to. The day after we checked out I realized I forgot two electric shavers, blow dryer, and a Brazilian Wax kit. When I called I was told that the room was already occupied and they would call me back once they got a hold of the people. Two days passed and I heard nothing so I called and was told that the house keeper did not turn anything in and I was basically out of luck (I don’t understand why somebody would want to keep a personal shaver and Brazilian wax kit). Bottom line make sure you don’t forget anything because you won’t get it back.

• Stayed December 2005
21 Thank davina1979
Reviewed December 23, 2005

Just got back today. Stayed in a two bedroom suite. Very clean and attractively furnished. Nice fitness center and indoor swimming pool. Convenient location to shopping center and other attractions. Suite had televisions in living area and each bedroom. VCR attached to living room TV. Kitchen was fully equipped with stove, refrigerator and other appliances to prepare home cooked meals. We spent a great deal of our time in the suite so we had a chance to enjoy all of the amenities. Everything worked properly. Front office was very attentive and helpful with directions, places to visit, etc. Really enjoyed the Prime Outlet. Spent two days there shopping. Got some really great bargins there. Overall we were pleased with our stay. We were invited to participate in a survey at the resort. Got free breakfast. Couldn't believe they didn't try to sell us a timeshare. They gave us everything they promised.

• Stayed December 2005
20 Thank waynepat
Reviewed November 28, 2005

We just got back from here (Thanksgiving week) and had quite a few problems. It is for sure not a 5 star resort at all! We had traded through Interval and expected a unit with a full kitchen, and brought Thanksgiving dinner including a 16 lb. turkey. Our first unit (39B) had a little kitchenette, no VCR or DVD player, the fireplace didn't work, unit was dirty and needed maintenece in several areas. When we called, we didn't get good satisfaction even after calling Interval. We were told there were no units available aywhere within a 60 mile radius. PLUS, we discovered our unit was above the model and so from 9 a.m. on, there was a solid stream of people going in and out of our building and talking very loudly and slamming doors...not cool! The next day finally we got a pair of decent front desk employees who arranged for us to move to another unit with a kitchen. Less issues except cleanliness of bathrooms and rugs.

Our unit was ok, but we had horrible trouble with one of the sales staffers who was rude, nasty and wasted an entire morning of our time. We signed up to do the '40 minute survey comparing our home resort with this one". We knew it would be a sales pitch but were very prepared as our home resort truly IS a 5 star, amenity-loaded place and couldn't be compared at all. Like most, we wanted the free goodies they were dangling. The details don't matter but I ended up screaming at the top of my lungs at this rude woman (and I am NOT a screamer by nature)and had to demand to get what they had offered us despite the fact that we had met all of the requirements. Avoid this unless you like being treated poorly!!

We were also bummed that the hot tub in the pool area was unavailable the first day and the staff was very weak in handling our questions about when it would be available.

SO...tips here are that make SURE you get a unit with the amenities you want as there is a wide variety of units, don't allow yourself to be manipulated by the sales staff and just know that this is more like a 3 1/2 star place, and you'll be fine.

Stayed November 2005
22 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Williamsburg hotels

Reviewed November 16, 2005

My husband and I went on a getaway to the Williamsburg Plantation mid September. We were very pleased with our accomodations which was comfortable and clean. The weather was exceptionally warm so we were able to enjoy the beautiful, well kept outdoor pool. Towels for pool use were in the closet in the condo. The indoor aqua center was still under construction but it looked like it will be a great place to spend time in inclement weather. We don't play tennis but did note that there were 2 outdoor courts. The was plenty to do and see within a short car ride and directions were readily availabe at the desk. Employees were very accomodating and willing to go the extra mile for you. We enjoyed our stay so much that we bought a time share so that we could bring our children and grandchildren down.

Stayed September 2005
15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 17, 2005

We used two getaways through Interval. Our accomodations were very nice, and everyone was satisfied. We were traveling with 8 adults. I requested a first floor unit because of health reasons for one of the units. They were very accomodating. We enjoyed our stay in Williamsburg and all the historic attractions.

• Stayed October 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 9, 2005

My husband and I got to the Williamsburg Plantation on friday 10/7/05 @5:30 check in was fast unknown to us we were supposed to stay in a local motel, but they upgraded us to the resort w/a jacuzzi, we had a great time. They told us about great places to eat and even gave us maps to get there(CAPTIN GEORGE). It rained all weekend but we found lots to do. Great pub next door w/great music (J.M.RANDALLS). We purchased a time share and will be back next year. Great get away! THANKS!

• Stayed October 2005