“Spent an enjoyable week in Kings Creek Plantation cottage” 5 of 5 stars
Review of King's Creek Plantation Resort

King's Creek Plantation Resort
Ranked #14 of 78 Hotels in Williamsburg
florida
“Spent an enjoyable week in Kings Creek Plantation cottage”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

Even though there was a sign on the living room table stating that the unit would soon be refurbished, "almost" everything was in working order. There was no DVD remote, but the LCD tv in the living room and the TV's in the bedrooms had remotes and worked just fine. The only other thing was that the coffee cups were really small, but we corrected that by buying a souvineer mug in Williamsburg. We had the 2 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath "A" unit and really enjoyed the balcony on the warm weather days.

Directions we were given were not 100 % correct - only about 100 yrds. beyond the Water park. But we found it.

Right now, there is no grocery store in the immediate area (except for the limited item selection from Target), but that may change as building seems to be going on in the area.

Colonial Williamsburg is about a 10-15 min. drive. Not much traffic on the roads there, so it was a relaxing drive every day. The drive to Jamestown was very "woodsy" - very enjoyable.

We chose Kings Creek based on the Trip Advisor reviews. We would definitely stay there again (we had a time-share trade and had no problems with the arrangements) and gave our comments to someone yesterday who is interested in a time-share to stay at in VA

• Stayed March 2009
1 Thank walkan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
smithfield, va
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2009

The only thing I liked about this resort is the location. I read so many reviews about how great this place was so I was excited to surprise my husband with a Valentine's weekend getaway there. What a major disappointment! I paid for the trip in full through Yahoo! travel but when I went to check in I had to stand there for about 15 minutes while the desk clerk tried calling her manager to find out why her system stated I owed $169. No one could figure out what the balance was for so I was told I would have to give them by credit card number to charge the $169 or they wouldn't let me check in. I was told they would research the fee and if they didn't call me back then the fee was correct and my credit card would be billed. Reluctantly I agreed to just give them the credit card information. We stayed in a 1 bedroom unit. What a dump! It looked more like a low budget motel room than a so called 5 star resort. I wouldn't plan on watching TV in the "living room". The TV was a 12" screen that sits on top of the refrigerator. The bedroom furniture looked like they picked it up at the trash dump. We could hear every conversation our neighbors had. I called the contact number on my reservation through Yahoo! travel to find out why I was told I still owed money and the representative had no idea why I was being charged additional money. He tried calling the manager to clear up the situation but was told the manager wouldn't be back for another 2 hours. I wrote down all the reservation information and left it at the front desk for the manager to call and confirm that I did not owe any money. About an hour later the "manager" called and told me the $169 was a mandatory cleaning fee. What??? I explained there was nothing listed when I reserved the room about a cleaning fee. He then got an attitude and stated "We are a 5 star resort and we charge a cleaning fee." I responded with "The room you gave me is sure not a 5 star room." He then stated I am staying in a 1 bedroom unit and if I wanted to pay extra he could give me a 2 bedroom unit. I guess the only rooms that are 5 star are the 2+bedroom units. I declined his offer because as far as I was concerned what I was paying already was too much. He eventually agreed that I would not have to pay the cleaning fee. Our experience with this resort was so bad that I didn't even want to stay our 2nd night. I was actually considering checking out and going to the Days Inn down the street. Check out time at this resort is 10 AM. My husband was packing the car at 8 AM while I was in the shower. Much to his surprise they had inactivated our room keys 2 hours early and he was stuck outside until I got out of the shower and heard him knocking at the door. That was the last straw and I was done with this place - the whole experience was unbelievable. When I checked out I had to wait for the desk clerk to finish with the gentleman in front of me. She was so nice and polite to him and finished the process with thanking him for staying and asking how his stay was. I don't know if it had something to do with the look on my face or whether the "manager" made a notation on how disappointed I was with the room but she took my room key and said "your balance is zero". That was it - no thank you or how was your stay. So beware - if you are thinking of reserving a 1 bedroom unit - I would think again or better yet stay somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ruddwallacefan
Central NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2009

I just returned from a Interval Exchange for the Estates at the Plantation. The one bedroom facility (104B) was brand new. Stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, new carpet, bathroom, furniture, everything all new!

My boyfriend and I loved the room, the king size bed was confortable, the bathtub and clean and got really hot! The water inthe shower was equally hot.

We used the Aquatic center as well. The pool was great for both swimming laps and playing water basketball. The hot tub was nice after a long day walking around.

The Plantation is a short drive to Colonial Pkwy and Rt 60, where all the restaurants are.

My only complaint would be that although they provide towels, you only get one per person for your entire stay. There is a washer/dryer but you need to provide the detergent. There is dish soap but no sponge. When I requested a kitchen sponge, the front desk (very pleasant) informed me they do not provide sponges and I should put everything in the dishwasher. I also asked about fresh towels. The front desk suggested I go to Target down the street and pick up detergent, that the store has the individual wash, one dollar boxes.

This was a minor inconvenience. We had a wonderful stay and would definitely return.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gabs789
South Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2009

If you're looking for 5 stars, it misses the mark. That said, we have stayed here 2 times on summer vac., 2006 & 2007. Don't believe it all-- This place is GREAT for families, & we have alot. The location can't be beat, right next to Water Country, 10 min. to BG & Colonial W'burg. I am rather picky about hotels and I will agree, they could use a little upkeep-townes are beginning to age: small stains on carpet, peeling wall paper in corners, but, hey, so if your missing a spatula, call the front desk and they'll get you one! The place is clean! and these minor issues don't stop us from having a great time at the parks & being together. We're not there to stay all day in the rooms, we're gone all day. Hey, the air-conditioners work Great in July & August and I have never seen a roach. Pools are nice. Lots of amenities, work out room, even massage service! Customer Service is hit or miss, but mostly 3 star. It's a timeshare people!! Just think, I almost booked at Powhatan! WHEW! Anyway, have fun! We Did!

• Liked — Location, Size of unit, Whirpool, tub, Massage srvc
  • Disliked — No Housekeeping, Pool closes at 8pm, No Bar/Restaurant on site.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank luilala
Starbuck, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2009

We traded an off season week through RCI for a wonderful, 3 BR, 4 Bath unit in the Cottages area. The unit was exceptionally spacious and served our family well.

There were a few problems: The huge big screen in the living room was awful!! In this day, when we become used to crystal clear TV, it was so grainy we gave up on watching it and instead, all sat on the bed in the big bedroom next to the bath with the jacuzzi. We had come for the inauguration so good picture quality was critical!! At check in, I asked if our unit would have one of the mentioned flat screens, and the desk person said they didn't know which units contained those, so we went ahead. The unit at first was not welcoming - no heat on, and outdoor temp was in the 20s. When I inquired about another comparable unit, I was given the same answer about not knowing which had the new TVs, so we just settled in.

Other than these small things, the place was great and if we decide to trade to stay there again, we would appreciate info from others as to which specific units have the upgrades.

• Liked — spacious
  • Disliked — horrible big screen TV
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
davidson nc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2009

We traded through RCI for a 2 bedroom townhouse. Reading the reviews I was not sure what to expect. Unit was large, comfortable and clean. While there was a flight of stairs to get to the equally large bedrooms, it wasn't the "many stairs" as described in RCI. The half bath on the main was helpful Since it was winter, we only tried the indoor pool. The sauna in the ladies wasn't working well, but other than that we had a great week. Staff was helpful.

Stayed December 2008
Gloucester, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

We're owners at Kings Creek Resort and have chosen to divide our 'week' up into a week in the 1-bedroom unit and another week in the 2-bedroom unit. We're currently (Dec 27 through Jan 3) staying in our 2-bedroom unit. We have never traded our time there and have owned there for about 8 years. The units continue to show their age. Several items/unit amenities were 'missing' this time - hopefully due to refurbishments. For instance, there were no chairs, no pictures, no window treatments (except for venetian blinds) or no luggage stands in the bedrooms. The wall phone in the kitchen was hanging loosely on one screw (I went home, got some screws and fixed that!), all the color-coordinated window valences were gone, the table lamps in the living area (except for one) were not there (I called and had two brought in) and even the sink strainer/stopper was missing. I asked at the check-in desk to speak with an owner services rep and were told none were available at the resort - they're available by phone in an adjacent city - so there's no one onsite to complain to. On the plus side, they have added a large screen LCD TV in the living area that has a great picture and housekeeping is quickly responsive.

We'll be going back twice a year like we've been doing but we can only hope our maintenance fees get used for maintenance and they get around to finishing the unit refurbishment.

• Liked — Its location
  • Disliked — Lack of maintenance on existing units
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family