“Fantastic Experience!”

Ranked #32 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Fantastic Experience!”
Reviewed February 28, 2011

We came to Williamsburg to shop and sight see. What a great hotel! From the minute we checked in we knew it was special. The employees were pleasant and very helpful. And we LOVED the welcome from the General Manager! The hotel was VERY clean and well maintained. Breakfast was good as well. The location is close to everything...Williamsburg Pottery, Yankee Candle, Merchants Square, Colonial Williamsburg, etc. I have never written a review for a hotel, but our stay was so good, I decided to do this one. This is a GREAT hotel. We will definitely be back!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Kernersville, North Carolina
Reviewed February 24, 2011

We arrived and were greeted by the manager- Mr Mercer- who was very hospitable. He took the time to explain where and when breakfast was served. He was very helpful with directions to Colonial Williamsburg and even recommedned a few restaurants off the beaten path. Our room was well lit, clean and the beds comfortable. I would recommend this hotel to any guest looking for the best value . We have two kids and even they commented on how nice it was to stay in such a nice place!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank jjoneskw
winchester, va
Reviewed November 7, 2010

Upon arriving the desk staff was very polite and professional! But, that would be the first and last positive outcome of our stay. When we started to settle in, I did an inspection of the room, this is something I always do when I stay in hotels. First thing I noticed was one of the pillow cases had stains all over it and was very worn. The housekeeping staff was still in our hallway so I asked them for a new pillowcase, which they gave me. The fitted sheet on the bed had many small holes and one of the corners was completely torn, so much that you could see the corner of the mattress. There was a used dirty towel on the bathroom counter and a stain on one of the towels that was neatly folded and meant for our use, which needless to say we didn't use it. After flushing the toliet you had to make sure you pushed the flusher handle back in position, otherwise the toliet would constantly run. The position of the fridge, which had the microwave on top was too far from any usable plug so we had to move the unit to where the plug would reach. The vending machine on our floor didn't work, but yet there was no out of order sign, the drinks from the machine were $1.50 but yet the drinks at the front desk were $1 more. The lady at the desk said she had been telling "them" that it hasn't been working. The eggs the next morning were under cooked, just the icing on the cake, I suppose! I have stayed at other Holiday Inn Express hotels and have always been 100% satisfied, but I guess things have gone down hill, at least for this one. I am not sure if I will ever stay at another Holiday Inn Express again. Completely not what I expected and not what I have experienced from other locations. What I do know, the next time I visit Williamsburg, I will not being staying here!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jodiro76
ANDREW1452, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Williamsburg, responded to this review, November 16, 2010
I am taking this opportunity to apologize for the shortcomings you found at our hoel - we work very hard to ensure that everyone leaves happy - your comments will help us improve for our future customers - please contact me as I would like to discuss your stay with you further.

Regards
Andrew Mercer
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed October 19, 2010

My family and I went on a vacation to Colonial Williamsburg, and this hotel was wonderful! The staff was pleasant, our room was comfortable, and it was very clean.

I was concerned when I saw some of the older posts about this hotel, but it is obvious there is a new crew working focused on servicing the guests and ensuring they have a nice hotel! We didn't encounter any of the issues mentioned in the past.

We asked for dining suggestions, and the associates at the front desk were very helpful. The two women that worked the breakfast each morning were very friendly and kept things stocked and clean. They deserve accolades for their hard work!

The pool was nice, the breakfast was fresh and tasty, the rooms clean. What more could a family with small kids ask for! Thanks for a nice stay at your hotel!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed September 27, 2010

We recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and would definitely return. A very comfortable place for a family of 6--rooms were spacious, very comfortable, and the free breakfast was tasty. A really nice place.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Jersey Shore
Reviewed September 3, 2010

Can't say too much about this hotel one way or the other. There wasn't anything that stood out in a positive or negative light. If I had to sum up the most disappointing things... I expected the breakfast to be better. The eggs were pretty terrible, and they only had a vegetable oil spread for the toast YUK. Plus, the waffles were the kind you heat in the toaster. Coffee was average. It was convenient to have breakfast downstairs(and complimentary), but it was very poor quality food all around. I enjoyed my breakfast at a Country Inn. The other thing you may want to consider was the location. This hotel is one of the farther ones from Busch Gardens/Water Country. Driving everyday started to become tedious after a long day. The Fairfield Inn and suites was the same price, but same location so I am glad I did not choose there. Personally, I would probably try the Crowne Plaza next for a similar price as H.I.Express or maybe the Country Inn and Suites(with the indoor pool), which both looked nice from the outside (and online). Indoor pool does not have a whirlpool; fitness center not impressive. Lobby was nice; many tables to sit at but tv was too small for the large area. Hallways were always smelly...why? I do not know and the other H.I. I stayed at in N.Y. had the same icky smell...strange. Rooms were very nice, good size. Great size bathroom too, but would be nicer to have sink separate. Sheets, pillows, and bath towels were above average. Very pleased with the linens. I slept well all 4 nights with no hallway noise or issues at all. ANother great thing was the fridge and microwave. Fridge was huge for a standard hotel room. It even had its own freezer! All in all, I liked it but didn't love it and would probably try another chain next time I go to Williamsburg.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
ANDREW1452, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Williamsburg, responded to this review, September 7, 2010
Many thanks for your frank review of our hotel - it was great to hear the positive and negative feedback as it allows us to prepare for our future customers - I hope that when you return you will stay with us again as we strive to improve all of our services

Thanks again
Andrew Mercer
General manger
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 18, 2010

I was very nervous staying there after reading the horrible reviews. Thank God I didn't believe what was writtien. The hotel was extremely clean, the free breakfast was awesome not to mention what a savings not having to take a family of four out to breakfast. The front desk was so nice and helpful. All of the employees we encountered greeted us with a friendly hello and smile. Towanda at the front desk gave us great advice on where to eat. I have to say I have a new favorite place to stay.
Not to mention free internet in the hotel room, that was great for the kids and for me to work from the room when needed. I would definitely recommend this hotel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
ANDREW1452, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Williamsburg, responded to this review, August 24, 2010
Soccermom1618 - many thanks for sharing your experience and having confidence in us - this is the typical experience that our guests have with us - not the ones outlined below - thanks for taking the time to commend our employees as well - we look forward to welcoming you back

Andrew