“Pretty Good”

Ranked #31 of 75 Hotels in Williamsburg
Jersey Shore
“Pretty Good”
Reviewed September 3, 2010

Can't say too much about this hotel one way or the other. There wasn't anything that stood out in a positive or negative light. If I had to sum up the most disappointing things... I expected the breakfast to be better. The eggs were pretty terrible, and they only had a vegetable oil spread for the toast YUK. Plus, the waffles were the kind you heat in the toaster. Coffee was average. It was convenient to have breakfast downstairs(and complimentary), but it was very poor quality food all around. I enjoyed my breakfast at a Country Inn. The other thing you may want to consider was the location. This hotel is one of the farther ones from Busch Gardens/Water Country. Driving everyday started to become tedious after a long day. The Fairfield Inn and suites was the same price, but same location so I am glad I did not choose there. Personally, I would probably try the Crowne Plaza next for a similar price as H.I.Express or maybe the Country Inn and Suites(with the indoor pool), which both looked nice from the outside (and online). Indoor pool does not have a whirlpool; fitness center not impressive. Lobby was nice; many tables to sit at but tv was too small for the large area. Hallways were always smelly...why? I do not know and the other H.I. I stayed at in N.Y. had the same icky smell...strange. Rooms were very nice, good size. Great size bathroom too, but would be nicer to have sink separate. Sheets, pillows, and bath towels were above average. Very pleased with the linens. I slept well all 4 nights with no hallway noise or issues at all. ANother great thing was the fridge and microwave. Fridge was huge for a standard hotel room. It even had its own freezer! All in all, I liked it but didn't love it and would probably try another chain next time I go to Williamsburg.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
ANDREW1452, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Williamsburg, responded to this review, September 7, 2010
Many thanks for your frank review of our hotel - it was great to hear the positive and negative feedback as it allows us to prepare for our future customers - I hope that when you return you will stay with us again as we strive to improve all of our services

Thanks again
Andrew Mercer
General manger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 18, 2010

I was very nervous staying there after reading the horrible reviews. Thank God I didn't believe what was writtien. The hotel was extremely clean, the free breakfast was awesome not to mention what a savings not having to take a family of four out to breakfast. The front desk was so nice and helpful. All of the employees we encountered greeted us with a friendly hello and smile. Towanda at the front desk gave us great advice on where to eat. I have to say I have a new favorite place to stay.
Not to mention free internet in the hotel room, that was great for the kids and for me to work from the room when needed. I would definitely recommend this hotel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
ANDREW1452, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Williamsburg, responded to this review, August 24, 2010
Soccermom1618 - many thanks for sharing your experience and having confidence in us - this is the typical experience that our guests have with us - not the ones outlined below - thanks for taking the time to commend our employees as well - we look forward to welcoming you back

Houston, TX
Reviewed August 13, 2010

OMG, we checked into our room and as I always do, I checked out the room. The bed skirt wasn't put on correctly, instead it was all bunched up. My sheets had pubic hairs on them. I nearly died. The bathroom was filthy. The toilet hadn't been scrubbed, so please let your imagination run wild. When I went to exchange rooms there was NO one at the desk. I waited for over 20 minutes before she returned. Instead of finding me a new room, she wanted to hand me a new set of sheets. That was NOT an option. I pitched a fit and eventually got a new, cleaner room, but it certainly wasn't perfect, but no pubic hairs is a great start.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank lsullivan68
ANDREW1452, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Williamsburg, responded to this review, August 16, 2010
ISullivan68

Many thanks for sharing your comments - obviously you did not encounter the type of service that you expect from the Holiday Inn Express - based on your comments we have made some dramatic changes in our housekeeping department and are implementing the new Holiday Inn Express Sparkle program.
Please contact me and I would be delighted to share more information with you

REgards
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed August 8, 2010

I have never in all my years seen a room as nasty as this one.From the time I walked in the room I saw finger prints on the mirrior .The tub was black and housekeeping said it was made like that.The sink had hair in it. The pull out sleeper was not made not even a matress cover.Floor was never vacuumed should I go on .Anyways I ended up getting sick from the room.The people at the front desk was nice but the housekeeping staff rude and need to be trained to standers.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank jkmaidservice
ANDREW1452, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Williamsburg, responded to this review, August 10, 2010
to jkmaidservice

Our whole team at the Holiday Inn Express would like to apologize for not having things as they should have been. We are working hard to correct the problems and have been retraining housekeeping - please contact us and we would like to invite you back to visit with us

Our apologies again
pa
Reviewed July 26, 2010

I like to stay at Holiday Inn Express(hungry teens and breakfast bills along with the rapid checkout and they tend to be newer facilities), so I debated whether to stay here or at the more highly rated Holiday Inn. The negative reviews for the express weren't absolutely terrible. Take my word for it, the reviews for this place should be lower. The problem is cleanliness. The rooms weren't totally filthy but they weren't clean. Little signs of neglect also make you wonder how much "invisible" dirt is there. For example, the tissue box holder was melted from a curling iron, there was some sort of obvious stain on the bathroom wall that didn't even appear as though anyone had tried to remove it, there was no trash can in our room, and there was a half empty bottle of water from a previous guest inside the fridge along with food residue, and our toilet gurgled unless you jiggled the handle. Our friends who stayed in another room had only one room darkening curtain on the window, the second one was missing. I know Williamsburg is a heavy tourist area, but that shouldn't exempt businesses from working hard to do a good job. The employees were very helpful and friendly. As for location, this is in a heavy hotel/restaurant/shopping area with convenient access to highways, yet it was quiet at night. The pool was adequate but not large, same for the adjoining "fitness center" , 3 pieces of equipment if I recall correctly. The hotel does have one computer with a printer in the lobby/breakfast room, so expect a wait if you intend to use it. To reprint a pass, my husband had to request use from another guest who had been playing video poker for 15 minutes while he waited in line. I realize that is the hotel's fault.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank PAfamily07
pafamily07

Many thanks for your comments concerning your stay with us - I apologize for not meeting your expectations with your stay - we appreciate your feedback both positive and negative at it allows us to work to make the hotel a better place to stay

Please contact us if we can help you make your arrangements for your next visit

Hilton Head, South Carolina
Reviewed July 9, 2010

I usually stay on Williamsburg property but decided to try a new place. Beware!!! Rooms were FILTHY. I checked in my room and was gagging at the standard of clean. I immediately doubted the sheets were clean, I needed a family member to smell them! The entire room was gross. The dust was horrific on the lampshades. I was afraid to take off my shoes. When I was checking out I overheard housekeeping chatting while doing their duties. Some one had checked out of a room, the staff said to change the sheets and thats it, that was "good enough". All I can say is EEEWWWW!!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank cassiam
cassiam

On behalf of our entire team I would like to apologize for the problems you encountered during your stay with us - we work extremely hard to ensure that all of our guests have a wonderful stay and obviously we fell short. I would like to discuss your stay with you further. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel

Plymouth
Reviewed June 23, 2010

The location of Holiday Inn Express in Williamsburg, Virginia is convenient, and its accommodations were very nice. Also the desk staff were helpful. The only improvement would be with the cleaning staff. When the double lock is on the door and the sign says"Do Not Disturb" then they should be instructed not to try repeatedly to enter because they didn't finish what they were working on that morning. If I had been traveling alone, I probably would have been screaming and dialed the police.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank littlejasmine
littlejasmine

Many thanks for your comments concerning your stay at the Holiday Inn Express - we appreciate the feedback both positive and negative as it allows us to improve our service to our customers. I have shared the feedback on the housekeepers with them so we can not disturb guests in the future

We look forward to welcoming you back