“Nice accommodations but staff needs more training”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Williamsburg
Ranked #34 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed June 23, 2010

The location of Holiday Inn Express in Williamsburg, Virginia is convenient, and its accommodations were very nice. Also the desk staff were helpful. The only improvement would be with the cleaning staff. When the double lock is on the door and the sign says"Do Not Disturb" then they should be instructed not to try repeatedly to enter because they didn't finish what they were working on that morning. If I had been traveling alone, I probably would have been screaming and dialed the police.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank littlejasmine
ANDREW1452, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Williamsburg, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2010

littlejasmine

Many thanks for your comments concerning your stay at the Holiday Inn Express - we appreciate the feedback both positive and negative as it allows us to improve our service to our customers. I have shared the feedback on the housekeepers with them so we can not disturb guests in the future

We look forward to welcoming you back

Andrew

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express & Suites Williamsburg

Reviewed April 26, 2010

We were quite happy with our three-night stay at this hotel. Room was clean, beds were good, not much noise, refrigerator (a cold one, too) and microwave provided. Good job by housekeeping. The breakfast was great -- big, varied and free, and enough tables to accommodate everyone. People were nice, and the lady at the front desk in the evening (sorry, I've forgotten your name!) was very efficient and pleasant.

I've seen a couple of people knock the pool area. It's the typical indoor pool for this size hotel. I didn't notice the deck being slippery. What I liked was that they kept the air moving in there. I don't like those indoor pools where it's really steamy and humid. Whirlpool wasn't working when we were there.

One note about the room fridge: It's in the main part of the room, not back by the bathroom, and it does make a little bit of noise when it runs. If you're a light sleeper, you might want to consider that.

Location is great, just west of W&M and the historic district. New shopping center next door has a Mexican restaurant, Plaza Azteca, that we liked, and down the other way a few blocks is Food for Thought, a great dinner spot.

Only drawback we found, as other reviewers have, was the shower. The water comes out fast and hard (one daughter named it "the shower from Hell," and it's hard to keep all the water in the tub.

This wasn't a huge problem, though, given that the room price was good. Williamsburg hotels seem to fall into two categories: nice and expensive, or affordable but sketchy. This one split the difference very nicely, and we would go back again at the same price.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank jhawkwalk
Reviewed April 10, 2010

This isn't a luxury stop, but it is clean and comfortable, well-priced and close to absolutely everything. The cleaning and the breakfast staff are competent and friendly. We stayed 4 nights for the price of three. The room was all it was promised to be and everything worked. The AC was a bit noisy, so a light sleeper might notice it kicking on and off thru the nite. Only complaint--the pool. The whirlpool did not work, the water was coldish and the tile surrounding the pool was very slippery (scarily so). I would stay here again and am happy we spent our little vacation here.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank mrose414
Reviewed February 21, 2010

We stayed here for one night while in Williiamsburg. It was exactly what we needed. Great price, clean room and friendly staff. The pool was warm and clean.

Two small Cons: I agree with another reviewer about the shower. It is a weird spray. Also, we purchased some snacks from the front desk and I thought they were a little pricey. $13 for two ice creams and a drink. Especially for a Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 11, 2009

We decided to make an unplanned overnight stay while traveling through Williamsburg. Knowing that I had not booked in advance, I figured I would pay an out-of-this-world rate for a room with 2 adults and 4 kids. I searched for a Holiday Inn because of the Priority Points and came to this one first. Am I glad that I did!

The desk clerk was very friendly and found a great rate that really surprised me. Walking the kids up to our room, I was very impressed with the clean hallways and elevators. I'm not sure if this hotel has been newly remodeled, but everything looked and smelled new. Our room was very spacious, with a couch that turned into a full-size bed. Our two King-size beds had spotless clean sheets and down blankets. Not the run-of-the-mill "hotel bedspreads" that usually have unknown spots on them!

My only concern was the floor in the indoor pool. It was very slick, especially with water on it. That made me a nervous wreck with the kids using it. Other than that, all other aspects of this hotel deserves applause.

The breakfast itself was worth what you paid for the room! Biscuits, sausage, cerealy, yogurt and fruit. Again, I am impressed with this hotel and will recommend it to anyone in the area.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 24, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in September while visiting Williamsburg. We paid approx $75/room plus tax per night. Our room was clean and of a good size (with a desk, sofa, fridge and microwave) but we weren’t quite as happy with it as some Holiday Inn Expresses we have stayed in – the taps wouldn’t run cold water and the shower pressure wasn’t very comfortable. Minor complaints perhaps but they affected our overall impression.

Breakfast was standard Holiday Inn Express fare – cereal, fruit, pastries and some basic hot items (kept warm rather than freshly made). It’s not the best breakfast ever but there’s a reasonable choice and it’s good value. The hotel also offers an indoor swimming pool (although it is quite small) and I think there’s a computer for guests to use in the lobby. Internet access is available in the bedrooms.

There were also a number of restaurants within walking distance. They were mostly fastfood-type places but one place – Food for Thought – really stood out for us. It had a great selection of dishes on its menu and a fun atmosphere and friendly staff (the manager stopped to talk to us and remembered us when we returned the next day). Within Williamsburg, The Cheese Shop seems to be the place to go for lunch – it was recommended to us by several people and we did very much enjoy our sandwiches there.

All in all this Holiday Inn Express was a good value and just-acceptable place to stay in Williamsburg, which seemed to be a fairly expensive place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RJB21
Reviewed October 18, 2009

Relatively new, nice hotel, a couple of miles from the College of W&M and Colonial W-burg. Breakfast buffet was much better than expected…about as good as any that I’ve ever seen.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple