Holiday Inn Express & Suites Williamsburg
America's Inn(Williamsburg)
Residence Inn Williamsburg(Williamsburg)
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewshi expressfree breakfastbusch gardensbreakfast baryogurtfitness roomrichmond roadup to datewater pressurevery nice hoteltwo queen bedscomfortable roomhot breakfastfridge and microwavefront desk staffthe entire staffbreakfast staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 2, 2005

After reading some other recent reviews, I was scared of the possibility that our reserved "queen beds suite" would not really be reserved. Fortunately, we had no such problem. Several things were very positive with our 5 day stay. The price was very good ($99 per night secured through a company called VacationCreation). The place was clean with no bad odors. The Continental breakfast was better & much much faster than our slow, cold, half-forgotten breakfast at nearby IHOP. The heat & AC system worked perfectly. Any request I made was handled immediately & with pleasantness.
On the negative side, the "queen suite" that was supposed to have 2 queen beds, had instead 2 smaller size beds. The exhaust fan in the bathroom did not work well, if at all. The bathtub did not slope enough to drain all the water, & this may also be why the slip-strips seemed to need replacement. (My son took a fall in the tub.) My son did not like the comfort of the opened couch; in the end he just slept on the couch, unopened. I didn't particularly enjoy having to request toilet paper; even though the bathroom had 2 paper holders, the far one was close to empty when we arrived, & it stayed that way for the entire stay.

1  Thank whatdayasay
Boston, MA
Reviewed April 26, 2005

In January of 2005, after reading multiple top-notch reviews on Trip Advisor, I booked a suite at this Holiday Inn for mid-April 2005, a good three months in advance. (We had intended to stay at the Williamsburg Lodge but it was closed for renovations.) I confirmed this reservation prior to leaving on our trip, and when we arrived I called to say we would be there in 1 hour. The response was, "Great, we look forward to seeing you soon"! Imagine our surprise when we got to this hotel only to be told that somehow a staff member had made an error and had given our room to a party that wanted to stay-over another evening. Why they did not know this an hour earlier was suspicious. In any case they offered to put us up for the night at their "sister" property, a Marriot Residence Inn. This was very disapointing to our kids as the Marriot does not have an indoor pool. We were told that we could come back the next day and resume our stay at the Holiday Inn, or if we choose to stay at the Marriot we would pay the same rate that we had secured with the Holiday Inn. We arrived at the Marriot and we were told that we were expected to pay THEIR rate, a full $40.00 per night more than the Holiday Inn. In addition, the rooms were not that comfortable (beds were horrible!), and the entire hotel seemed to be under going some redecorating, as all the baseboards were missing. The next morning I called the Holiday Inn to CONFIRM that we would indeed be coming back that second night and spoke to the SAME individual at the front desk whom the night before PROMISED us he would PERSONALLY secure our room. I told this person we would check in later that evening, as we had plans to visit Busch Gardens for the day. We arrived at 7:30 that second evening and GUESS WHAT???? NO ROOM! All that was available was a smoking suite, and the person at the front desk admitted it was VERY smokey on that floor. I demanded to speak to the hotel manager, but she was not in and when I asked them to call her I was told she did not take customer complaints over the phone!!! We were forced back to the Marriot to our mediocre room where they were audacious enough to not only try and charge us for the higher rate but make us pay for the free room the night before!!!
Bottom line: I would avoid this group of hotels (Holiday Inn Express and the 3 Marriots in Williamsburg) as they are owned by the same property management group (LTD) and in all honesty I don't think they really care if they overbook and ruin people's vacations. Infact, we had one staff member at the Marriot tell us it was common procedure to overbook because there are a lot of rooms in Williamsburg and they can usually (but not alwys) locate another one for those people that they have overbooked. Problem is its not always a desirable location. Do yourself a favor and avoid these hotels. There are many others in Williamsburg to choose from.

Stayed: April 2005