Holiday Inn Express & Suites Williamsburg
Ranked #39 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We chose this hotel based on a good rate for a suite ($130) and the reviews seemed good. We were only planning on staying two nights as we were driving back home from a trip to Myrtle Beach and wanted to spend a couple of nights in Williamsburg. The lobby area seemed nice at first look. Check in was quick. The room was awful. The bathroom was dirty. Little hairs all over the floor and stains on the toilet. The room was a non-smoking room and smelled like smoke. The room overlooked the roof and you could see were people opened the window and threw cigarette butts out onto the roof. We turned around and checked right back out. We were able to get a room down the road at the Marriott (we usually stay here when in town, we decided to try something new.). They were wonderful as usual. They even gave me a great rate ($96 for a suite). From now on we will stick to what we know.

4  Thank Raspberrygang
Kathy S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Williamsburg, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Thank you for your comments, I will use them to continue our ongoing training, I'm sorry you had to leave and hope you will give us another chance if you are in our area again.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

Filthy, found trash on the floor, musty smell, mold in bathroom, sticky cabinets, greasy marks on the headboards, window falling apart, hair-dust-dirt on bathroom floor. Breakfast area chairs were black around where you would put your head. Shelf in frig broken. Air conditioner vent full of dirt and trash stinks when you turn it on. No mattress pad on roll away, torn blanket. Towels frayed. Thin old stained sheets. Breakfast-tables dirty, out of many items, warm yogurt. Things out of order like toasters. Ran out of spoons. Pool area filthy, black around the edges, too slippery and gross to let the kids go in. Shower had so much pressure, if you put your face in the shower it was actually like being pelted with bb's. We were supposed to say 2nights cancelled the second night. Huge disappointment for a holiday inn express.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel. Sorry holiday inn express needs to fumigate this one.
1  Thank Julie S
kstudwell, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Williamsburg, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

I would like to opologize for your stay with us. We will use your comments as a tool moving forward. We strive to make everyone happy and in you case I see we failed. I do hope you will consider giving us another chance if you are in our area again.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed here sun aug 5th thru sat aug 12 in a family suite.......The good- great central location,6 mournings of free breakfasts for 4 people=$300 in savings,the beds were good and confortable and the air conditioning worked fine........ The bad- swiming pool heater was broken and we were informed the part was ordered and to be fixed in a week.I see from a previous post here that previous guests were told the same thing 2 weeks before us.My wife and youngest son were really dissapointed when they would check the pool daily and it was still ice cold. The heater been broken at least 3 weeks sounds to me and I question if they intend to fix it at all and tell the same story to every guest. The bathroom -it had no fan and it got all steamy,the toilet ran and made noise for the whole week(i kept the bathroom door shut so we wouldnt hear it).The first mouning we left for busch gardens for the day and got back late and found they cleaned our room just fine but left no clean towels or bath mat.My wife went to the desk to request these items and night clerk accused her of taken the towels swimming and she had beg them for towels.We did recieve towels correctly the other 5 days.The doors were set up in such away tey kept slamming loudly all night and early in the mourning.......We really enjoyed Williamsburg VA and will return but probably not to this hotel.

1  Thank chewie3

First let me say we are very sorry about the pool heater, there was an isssue in getting it here fast from CA. The pool was back up on Friday the 10th. I have checked on your other issues and will keep an eye on the exhaust fans, they seen to be working ok now. We do take your comments very seriously and use them at meetingst to improve our service.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night on a family vacation to the area. There were things about this hotel that did not meet the usual Holiday Inn Express standard. The indoor swimming pool was freezing cold and the kids did not swim. The a/c unit did not work through the night and the room never got below 75 degrees thru the night...it was uncomfortable. The best part of the stay was the breakfast and the hotel seemed to be newer. There are many hotel options in the area and this one should be considered. However, don't pay more money to stay here.

1  Thank PeterL23
Kathy S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Williamsburg, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2012

I am sorry to hear about your issues during your stay with us, the pool heater did break down and a new one will be here this week. I hope you will give us another chance when your travels bring you to our area next.

Reviewed July 27, 2012

After having experienced a very positive five day stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Athens, AL, I was very disappointed. You would not have known this hotel was from the same group. Although the lobby looked nice, a cushioned chair in the seating area had an arm with several rips in the material and it was stained. The staff later covered both arms of the chair with cloth like dinner mats. When I arrived in the requested first floor room, I noticed the sink drained very slow. Like a relative staying in the hotel on the second floor, I did not have cold water and the vent did not work. The entire bathroom fogged up and moisture was all over the bathroom. The toilet top, counter top, mirror, and everything in the bathroom was wet. The comforter on the bed was worn and had rips in it. The thermostat on the wall did not respond to resetting. One of the two nights I could hardly sleep it got so hot in the room. I called the front desk on one night twice and could not get anyone to answer the phone. After the second try, my wife walked down to the front desk and the attendant was in the front office area holding someone's (coworker I believe) baby and talking. They completely ignored the phone call. Most of the staff was nice, but a couple of times during our stay we observed inapproriate body language because they were busy or talking and did not want to be bothered. That is totally unacceptable for any reason. We even had one of the maids walk in on us unannounced while we were in the room changing. The exercise room contained two tread mills and one was out of order. The only ice machine on the first floor was out or order and the water fountain looked dirty. Lastly, there was no coffee in the lobby except at breakfast time. I will not stay here again or recommend it to anyone. Like I said in the beginning, I was disappointed and surprised.

1  Thank sircrowe

First let me apologize for any issues you experienced during your stay with us. We take all of the comments very seriously and have addressed them with the entire staff. While we have had some maintanence issues we are working to get them all corrected and again I'm sorry they were not perfect during your stay. I do hope you will give us another chance to show you that we try very hard to make our guests happy and not diappointed.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

The hotel overall was average and we chose it as well due to the proximity of Busch Gardens and the Water Country. The breakfast was a step up from continental style because they provided eggs, pancakes and other hot selections which were replenished regularly. To our dismay, we were very disappointed at the events that occurred during our stay. Unfortunately, we had to endure the toilet over flooding in our room as soon as we checked in. If you can imagine this was not a great way to begin our vacation. After notifying the front desk, we were informed that the maintenance worker would not be on duty for another 2-3 hours. Of course that was unacceptable! As a result, one of the housekeeping employees named Ms. Bernice rectified the situation and sanitized our bathroom without a pause. Another concern that was unacceptable was the inoperable safety lock on the room door. My daughter secured the safety lock on the room door when we went downstairs to the pool. To her surprise when we returned we used our room key to enter and the safety lock didn't hold at all. In fact, it was loose at the hinge. Now speaking of the pool, we were totally disappointed after deciding to go for a swim. The pool water was COLD!! There were other teens in the pool when we got there and they informed us that the water was cold. Of course we had to test it for ourselves. So we stuck our feet in the water and it was rediculous. Now this was the "nail in the coffin" because due to thunderstorms Water Country closed its attractions. So now we couldn't even swim at our hotel. We waited for a bit to see what others thought when they entered and their faces told it all. What a total letdown! Needless to say we all left the pool. Well, we do look forward to returning to the Williamsburg area but as you know, we will be choosing a different hotel!

2  Thank Felicia B

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I truly apologize for any inconvienence you may have experienced while you were here. I have taken your comments and discuused them with the staff and how we can better take care of any issues in the future. I do hope that when your travels bring you to our are again you will give us another try.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

The issues we (fiance and I, plus other family members in other rooms) experienced here are inexcusable.

To start with, some of us had our reservations canceled twice. This created a major headache for our family member that reserved this block of rooms for her wedding.

Upon arrival, there was a room available at 1:45pm, so we were thankful for that. Had I known what condition it was in, I would have waited for another or requested an upgrade as a PC Platinum member (near-capacity, so couldn't receive one).

The room smelled of mildew once we walked in. We had just been to Busch Gardens, and with a heat index of 105-110 that day, we weren't overly concerned and just wanted to relax and clean up.

When we walked in the bathroom, there were noticeable black and pink mold spores on most of the bathroom walls. I would notify the front desk later.

Later that afternoon/evening, we found out the sink stopper did not work. That was right after we noticed that the hot water would not drain. The issue with the hot water was that we had the lever pushed all the way over to the cold side. There was absolutely no cold water... the entire weekend. Also, the vent did not work (the reason for the mold?).

So, the bathroom had no cold water, the sink would not drain, the sink stopper didn't work, there was mold on the walls (later found out it was also on the ceiling and door), and the vent didn't work. How does this happen? This is an obvious top-down management issue. It's simply a lack of having control and care of the hotel. The maintenance member that showed up to correct the issues was very polite, however, and the response time was appropriate. He fixed most of the drainage issue, the sink stopper, and wiped off the mold from the walls. Still no cold water or working vent. Everything was unpacked at this point, and no more non-smoking King rooms were available.

Apparently, quite a few of the A/C units trip after a power outage. We experienced one Saturday morning for about 10 seconds. We went back to the room after this, and breakfast, and didn't notice anything until several hours later. The temperature was up to 75 degrees (from 68 that morning). Maintenance was called, again, and they showed up, again, in an acceptable amount of time. He informed us this happens a lot during a power outage, and that the thermostat must be reset. If this happens so often, they should be proactive with this issue and inform all guests. He also checked the air filter, noted it was well past due for being cleaned, and asked when we were leaving. Once I said "tomorrow", he said he'll get on it when we leave. Wow, thanks for taking care of it, now...

Also, only caffeine free diet coke, water, and one powerade flavor were available in the Pantry for purchase or as part of the Platinum amenity. I waited a day to get mine since it took that long to restock.

I will agree with the hallways being loud and the housekeeping staff going in and out of rooms constantly and yelling at each other through the hallway around 7am in the morning... on a weekend!

I really don't understand how management can let a hotel deteriorate like this when it was in such a good condition in the recent past. All of the staff was friendly and seemed to want to do their job, but they obviously don't have defined expectations or duties handed down to them. For what they do, they seem to do well.

There are many other hotels or inns we could have stayed at and, unfortunately, we did not due to most of the family being at this hotel. I do not recommend staying here anytime soon.

Room Tip: All are loud, smoking floor is rancid. Good luck.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Kathy S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Williamsburg, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2012

Dear Sir, We strive to make all of our guests 100% satisfied with their stay and we all take great pride in the hotel, in you case I'm very sorry we did not meet all of your expectations. I was glad to see that most f your issues were addressed while you were here and taken care of. I will certainly use your concerns in all of our future training.