“The night that the lights went out in Williamsburg”

Capt. John Smith Inn
Ranked #67 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Chicago
“The night that the lights went out in Williamsburg”
Reviewed August 17, 2004

My two cousins and their families along with mine chose Williamsburg for our vacation this year. After driving from Chicago in 3 vehicles with 6 kids for 13 hours we finally made it there. Only to find out there was a power outage. The hotel we originally were scheduled to stay at, The Country Hearth Inn and Suites was blacked out. And from reading the review on that motel here , we were spared. Anyway the mgr of the Hearth, told us they had another motel in the city, the Captain John Smith Inn, that was not blacked out and they would call and see if they had rooms to accomodate us. Of course they did, and we got the rooms for $57 a night... cheaper than what we would have paid at the Hearth. Because I check Tripadvisor even before I make reservations, I knew that this motel didn't have sparkling reviews. So I told my cousins that, and asked that we check the rooms out first. We were showed one room, I immediately went to the bathroom and it was clean. The room was neat and ok in the first light. So we decided to stay, for 2 nights. Once we had checked in and had turned on all the lights, we could see that the carpeting needed a good shampooing and I would not let the kids walk around barefooted or play on the floors. They had a breakfast room, which my husband said was okay, but the manager was very indifferent when my husband pointed out that they had run out of something and he made no move to replenish it. My one cousin had a dirt ring in their toilet for those 2 nights and all of our carpets looked the same. Bottom line, it was tolerable for 2 nights, would not have stayed there any longer. Housekeeping came in, they did not make up the beds ,did not leave towels, and only emptied one garbage can, that's how I knew they were there. I wonder what they came in for. We couldn't get towels at night only in the day from housekeeping. I was just grateful not to wake up itching. It's true , you get what you pay for, almost.

• Stayed August 2004
6 Thank MarieParker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Reviewed July 31, 2004

This place is gross. Our room took dirty to a whole new level. We were actually able to wipe dirt off the sheets with a washcloth. We checked out with-in minutes of checking-in. It was pretty aparent in the lobby that other guests were having the same experience. We were refused a refund on our reservation and headed to the Motel 6. I have stayed in some pretty rough hostels through out Europe and never run across a place this dirty.

Reviewed July 13, 2004

Place is dirty and old. We checked in and out in minutes. I booked through travelodge.com and they refuse to refund. It cost me $200 but I was not going to let my wife and kids sleep here. It's apparent this place is not kept.

Reviewed June 20, 2004

The picture is very nice, but the stay was worse than horrible, the train is right behind the hotel. The manager on duty was rude and informed us he did'nt care about public relations, we were quoted one price charged another than when we checked out he informed us his clerk made an error and we would need to pay more money, if we did'nt he would just charge our credit card without authorization. Take advise from someone who stayed there don't stay there.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 14, 2004

We arrieved at Captain Jhn Smith Inn on Saturday June 12th. I had reservations for 4 Adults. We were all present at check in. The clerk was nice I gave her my credit card and she put the chanrges on it for 2 nights. Our experences were ok until Sunday night when my Niece call the front desk to get a wake up call. The Manager answed the phone and said he would do the wake up call, but someone needed to come to the office and pay the rest of the bill, Needless to say he was very rude. He said we did not pay for all the people and went on and on. I will never stay at this Motel again and will tell my friends about the experience. Thanks, Shirley Swink

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
OH
Reviewed June 13, 2004

We stay at his motel for 1 night every year on our way to the OBX. It is definitely not a fabulous place and there is a train that runs by. I would request a room towards the front of the motel where it is a bit quieter. A bunch of the rooms have been remodeled, but that ones that have not are a bit run down. During the summer, they have foreign exchange students that run the front desk and it may be difficult to get good service. The good news is that the location is good. There is a Red Lobster across the street and a place for breakfast next door. And it is much cheaper than many of the other places nearby (for a reason). When I called recently to make our reservations for this year, I asked about the photos on the internet and was informed that they were trying to get that taken care (the pictures are not of their hotel and would be VERY misleading). All in all, not a bad place for the price considering the location. I am not sure that I would stay here if Williamsburg was my final destination. Good for a night of "roughing it".

3 Thank tstackett
Reviewed May 31, 2004

Do not be fooled by the pictures of a canopy bed and luxury. This Inn is a dump. The bathrooms, the towels and the bed sheets were dirty and full of hairs. We found left over food and drinks in the mini fridge from previous guests. It is not colonial at all, the pictures are false advertisement. We addressed these issues to the manager and he didn't care, he kept saying we have to deal with the 1800hotels were we placed our reservations. Do not make the mistake of staying there, it is a terrible experience, especially because the place is dirty.