New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Travelodge Williamsburg Central

Travelodge Williamsburg Central
Ranked #72 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reston, Virginia
“I wanted to like this hotel!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

We are seasons pass holders to Busch Gardens and we have had 6 different stays in Williamsburg hotels in the past year. We wanted to try a different chain as the previous chain has trouble with their internet. We need wifi for emails, facetime, etc. As I named this, I wanted to like this hotel!

Pluses
-The wifi certainly worked and worked well
-There is a fridge in the room
-There is a microwave in the room
-There is a safe in the room
-The room was relatively clean. Absolutely the bathtub was clean!

Minuses
It is rundown (we wouldn't have noticed all of the minuses if there were a few less. We would have seen them as OK but as one of our lists got longer, the other person's list got longer.)
- The electric outlets are from the 70's or 80's. Wiring that would normally be inside the wall was exterior.
- The wallpaper, bedspread, and curtains were from the 90's (I'm being generous). We talked about if they set aside one weekend's profits new bedspreads and wallpaper could easily be accomplished making this much more modern.
- We each heard the train. It must run directly behind the hotel. This would have been better if our son was with us as he LOVES trains. But, let's face it hearing trains from midnight to 7 am... this is a minus for nearly everyone. These were the times of night/morning we heard them running.)
- Weird people hanging out outside their room. We were OK with it but would NOT have been if our son was with us! They must know weird people are out because you had to be buzzed into the hotel at night.
-The clerk told us to park on the other side of the hotel near our room. This would have been fantastic advice if there were ANY parking over there. (Remember the weird scetchy people? Yeah. They were watching us as we were stuck in an overfilled lot and had to do an 8 point turn.)
-Bed was the worst thing either of us have ever slept on. We are both achy 2 days later.
-Breakfast! (This was the straw that broke the camel's back!) Let me tell you, breakfast was the worst downfall of all! EVERY hotel around has waffles for breakfast! EVERY HOTEL HAS THE SAME WAFFLEMAFFER! This onehad the wafflemaker as well but that was ALL! The breakfast in entirety was make your own waffle, two loaves of bread to make your own toast, coffee, OJ, a gallon of milk in a mini fridge, a tub of margarine out on the counter, syrup, corn flakes or fruit loops. There was NO fruit! There was no water! There were no donuts or danish! There were no yogurts! There was nothing more than a sign that ticked us off telling us to keep breakfast in the breakfast room. THIS IS THE WORST BREAKFAST IN THE AREA! Every other hotel has bananas or apples or something there. Every hotel has water! Not all in the area have hot breakfast with eggs, bacon, etc.; but, they are in Williamsburg and they are only $5 - 7 more a night to get that! (Think that through. When you divide $5 - 7 between the two of you in the room, a $2.5 - $3.5 breakfast that I want with bacon, eggs, fruit, water, yogurt, waffles, cereal, and muffins is so so so worth it!)
-I called ahead of time to ask about what was on the breakfast. The girl had no idea stating she had never set it up so she didn't know. I am sorry I gave her and the hotel benefit of the doubt!

We will try the chain again... But NEVER this location! It looked like there was a Travelodge up the road that I would try but not the one across from Yankee Candle!!!!

Room Tip: Go to a choice hotel chain... The wifi may be spoty, but at least the breakfast is dependable and t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Erie, PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

Overrun by minorities that enjoyed hanging out on the porches until 10-11 pm at night. The room felt dirty and musty. Its ok if you're looking for a cheap room, but I wouldn't recommend. Also, even though I had already paid for my room through a 3rd party website, they took my credit card number and said it was if I didn't return the key (it was a standard slide in door card key that hotels typically don't care if they get back)... a week later I had an unauthorized charge on my card for $900 at Home Depot in Atlanta, GA (I live in PA). I don't know for sure if this was connected, but I have a bad feeling it was.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank camper427
Randallstown, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

This hotel seemed nice on the website, As soon as you enter the room you are hit with this musty smell. The furniture is out dated and my AC would not cool down the room. The maintenance man came to look a the unit and said everything was fine and that it was simply too hot outside. Well let me tell you, when I am at home and it is too hot, I crank the air and the house cools down. They need to upgrade the décor, furniture, televisions (because who really has tube TV's anymore) and the other appliances in the room. I left at the crack of dawn. This was not a good stay at all.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Anika W
Chester, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

We were pleased with our room. The property was clean and taken care of by the staff. The front desk was helpful and friendly. Yes, the property could use a facelift, but for the price it was nice. As far as the trains passing by...they were noticeable when awake, but did not interfere with my rest. The shower had plenty of Hot water. We will choose this property again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

Pictures on the website made it look nice. When we got there, the place was a TOTAL dump. It looked run down and ghetto. Which was shocking for the great location it is in. Walked in to our room & there was evidence of bedbugs, the blankets on the bed had hard stains, the A/C did not work (even after giving it a good 20 min), & it smelled bad. The owner was nice to my face & told us we would have to call the website to get a refund. The website called him & he did not want to do so. I called him back & he was extremely rude & did not want to refund us the money & hung up on me. And good luck sleeping, for when we were there, there is a train track right behind it & is very loud!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kacie555
Dayton, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

We have stayed at the hotel a lot of times in the past few years. We have always had a clean and safe place to stay while visiting Williamsburg. Good places to eat all this location. Yes, if you're a lite sleeper know that there is trains passing behind the hotel, but that is true of every hotel on this side of Richmond Rd. for miles. The staff has always made us feel at home here.

Room Tip: We like staying in the smaller building which is located near the pool
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Midlothian, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

This hotel really is located in the middle of everything. Right across the street from Yankee Candle, plenty of places to dine located all around. We were greeted warmly by the very friendly front desk staff & check in was easy. The room was clean, the beds were comfortable with lots of pillows available. The bathroom was clean also & the towels are good, the soap & shampoo provided are very nice. Yes, the train runs by at different intervals all day long but it's not loud (Think My Cousin Vinny) or obtrusive - no whistle blowing or loud rumbling. Breakfast is served (Continental style) every morning but we slept in & missed it this time. Checkout was a breeze & again, the staff was personable and friendly. We will be staying there again in the future as it fits our needs perfectly! You can't go wrong with this hotel.

Room Tip: I would ask for a second floor room for less foot traffic noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TLGeneralManager, Manager at Travelodge Williamsburg Central, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
thank's to put review