“Dated place but very convenient location.”

Quality Inn Historic East - Busch Gardens Area
Ranked #65 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed January 22, 2014

This motel is very convenient to the historic area and Busch Gardens and is very reasonable. The breakfast is also a big plus and the staff is very friendly and nice. However, the rooms are in sore need of refurbishing as well as the hallways and the metal doors which are very noisy when shut. I guess you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank LACASAZ
Chad L, General Manager at Quality Inn Historic East - Busch Gardens Area, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Good Morning LACASAZ,

We thank you for your feedback I will definitely give kudos to the staff and I am glad you enjoyed breakfast. Also, we are currently repainting the rooms and refinishing the bathroom tubs. We will definitely take the door issues under advisement and look for a solution.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

There are too many things to list here that were horrible about this hotel. We had 2 rooms, both non smoking but REAKED of cigarettes. One room and no towels and when they were requested we were told they had no more left. The train ran directly behind the hotel. In my bathroom shower there was a used bar of soap and in the microwave there was a half eaten fried chicken dinner. Disgusting! The location was perfect for easy access to colonial Williamsburg though, so there was at least 1 perk.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank jjallen76
Chad L, General Manager at Quality Inn Historic East - Busch Gardens Area, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Good Evening jjallen76,

We thank you for your feedback and I apologize about your experience. After investigating your reservation I see that you were offered $20 per night per room for compensation for the smoke smell and the towel issue. I also see that we offered to move one of the rooms to our Non-Smoking two double bed suite with a full kitchen and living room, but declined to move. I wished I would have been notified of the other issues directly. I am glad that you decided to finish out your two night stay with us. However, since July 2013, we have made numerous changes to the training, staffing, and the property in general. I invite you to visit our property again!

Reviewed January 14, 2014

indoor pool was nice, could jump right in! rooms were ok, bed was nice. Housekeeping wasn't very good, found empty soda bottles between bed & nightstand, and TV remote behind the bed against the wall, had to search and crawl to get to it. Breakfast was pretty good, at least it was edible and the bagles were fresh. Customer service people were very nice!

Room Tip: check prices for rooms, found that with the interior corridor rooms you didn't have to go outsid...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Good Morning 1dixiegirl,

We thank you for your feedback and I do sincerely apologize for the inconveniences that you encountered. Over the past month and a half, we have made major changes to our housekeeping department to ensure things of that nature do not get over looked. Our front desk team is 2nd to none and I thank you for acknowledging them as I will be sure to give them major kudos!! Even though we are not busy...busy...busy during this time of the year, we still strive to ensure the breakfast is well kept and fresh.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Enjoyed a long weekend in December - front desk staff very helpful with dining suggestions and tourism ideas. When a room issue was encountered they immediately set to action to remedy it, even giving us a second room next door to make use of. Hotel GM is terrific, as were all staff members we encountered. Pool warm, hot tub not too terribly hot, always plenty of pool towels. Room clean and breakfast plentiful (several waffle irons as well as all the usual continental fixings). This is our second stay here and we will be back. Location excellent- walking distance to colonial area yet near main roads.

• Stayed: December 2013
Chad L, General Manager at Quality Inn Historic East - Busch Gardens Area, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

Good Morning MDmomofTwo,

It was a pleasure to accommodate you and your family while in the Williamsburg area. We appreciate all of our guests and especially our repeat guests. We look forward to servin you and your family in the future!

Reviewed January 9, 2014

As the guests before me mentioned, at this price its hard to find fault.

I believe that both the previous positive and negative reviews are both equally correct.

My family and I needed a hotel that was reasonable, that was family friendly, and took dogs, so this hotel fit the bill. I immediately looked at the bathroom when we got there due to previous reviews. Unfortunately, it was really dirty. There was hair all over the bathtub and the toilet looked like it wasn't cleaned in months. Of course, my 5 year old son had to go right then and my husband had to break out the wipes that we had brought to do his best to clean the toilet. We called the front desk immediately and they sent someone over immediately to clean the bathroom who was really friendly.

My husband and I were so disgusted that we didn't end up using the shower for the rest of our 2 day stay because even after the women cleaned it for us, there was a lot of hair and grime in the shower. In fact, the toilet looked cleaner when we left.

I know that for this rate, I shouldn't expect a fancy hotel, but I do expect a clean one. Otherwise the room was clean enough for our stay.

The positives are that the staff is really friendly and helpful, the price and location are good, the breakfast is good, and the pool is nice.

The main negative for us was the dirty bathroom.

So basically we are torn, as there was a lot of good at this hotel, but the bathroom really made us question if we will stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Chad L, General Manager at Quality Inn Historic East - Busch Gardens Area, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Good Evening snowboard,

I do apologize for the condition of the bathroom. However, we are currently refinishing all of the tubs in the bathrooms. We have started on the interior building and we will begining the exterior building in mid-late february. We did have some temporary workers here during month of December, but there is no excuse for the cleanliness issues and I personally apologize. I will ensure to give kudos to the staff. With the plans in place I can assure you that this will not repeat itself. I personally would like to invite you back and I can assure you that your stay will be excellent. Please email me at gm.va222@choicehotels.com and I will personally handle your accommodations!

Reviewed December 24, 2013

Found the hotel room to be more spacious than expected. The staff could not have been any nicer. When my wife and I decided to stay an extra night, The woman working the desk worked it out that we could remain in the same room. The included breakfast was tasty and plentiful. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms with the king size bed also have a sofa.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gregory F
Chad L, General Manager at Quality Inn Historic East - Busch Gardens Area, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2013

Good Evening Gregory F,

We are definitely glad that you choose us for your lodging needs while in Williamsburg, VA. We look forward to serving you and your family when you are in town again! I will be sure to give Cathleen a pat on the back for assisting you in your reservation extension!

Reviewed December 18, 2013

This hotel has a few worts like they all do, but overall this is a very good value. It is obviously an older place that has been remodeled but everything was clean, the staff was efficient, friendly, and helpful, and the breakfast was the best I have had in a long time in an economy hotel. You don't often get waffles, eggs, and sausage at these places. Mostly continental type offerings. Not only did this place have all three, but they were all quite good. The electrical outlets are somewhat of a problem as they are so old cords don't always make contact. But we found there were enough to get by, even if they were not exactly in the spot we wanted them. The internet service was very adequate, the room was clean, the bed was reasonably comfortable, and the location is very convenient to Colonial Williamsburg, only about a 5 minute walk to the outskirts of the restored area on a well lit street with sidewalks.
Yes there are hotels in the area with more elaborate, newer, or comfortable services. But in my recent experience you can pay twice the rates here and not be doing better if as well overall. Very good value and I would easily recommend it to anyone with reasonable expectations against what they are paying. And we were here for three nights so they had plenty of time to look bad if they were inconsistent but we were completely satisfied with the entire stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Good Evening Parandyb,

It was a pleasure having you here for your 3 night stay. We have already replaced the outlets in the room and we thank you for the feedback. We are currently going through other rooms and replacing outlets too! I thank you for the comments about the staff, breakfast, and overall hotel. We do pride ourselves on the great staff that we do have here! Hope to see you return soon!