“The worst vacation of my life..”

The Colonies at Williamsburg Resort
Baltimore
“The worst vacation of my life..”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My family stayed at this resort..for a week I got 2 units...one of the units had mold in it .I contacted guest services. And they said they could not move me...they came in and half cleaned it.. With a steam cleaner and told me mold is not toxic and dangerous...I had to move my 86 year olf mother into my unit with her wheelchair...I dd not enjoy myself..you also have to pay for everything extra towels and sheets I ad to purchase a mop and a bucket they do not supply them in the units I also had to purchase laundry detergent ..to wash the sheets and towels..I don't go on vacation to wash the resorts sheets and towels..

4 Thank Danah M
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at The Colonies at Williamsburg Resort, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you for your comments because we always appreciate it when a guest takes the time to post about their stay. We’re sorry that we didn’t meet your expectations. Normally we receive many compliments on our beautiful accommodations and our attentive service. Originally you were booked to stay at our sister property in Williamsburg. Unfortunately you didn’t advise Interval International that you needed handicap accessible units. Instead of referring you back to your exchange company we offered to move you to The Colonies so that you could have adjacent handicap accessible units. There was a leak in the unit that resulted in a residue on the carpet and baseboard. We offered to relocate you but no other handicap accessible units were available. You declined the room move so we steam cleaned the affected area while you were there. We don’t have mops or pails in the rooms but laundry detergent is provided. We regret that we couldn’t provide you with the experience you were looking for and we hope you give us another chance in the future to exceed your expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
St. Michaels, Maryland
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I spent a long time researching hotels for our vacation and I am so glad I did or else I would not have found this fabulous place. I almost booked our family of 5 at a couple of different timeshare properties, but they had many bad reviews because of pushy sales people wanting you to buy into the timeshare. No one ever tried to make us attend a meeting or even mentioned it to us. This place will sell itself if you are inclined to buy into it. The rooms were new and very comfortable. Having a washer and dryer is a huge plus! Construction is still going on, but we were never bothered by it. The grounds were clean, the staff friendly and helpful. We will be back.

1 Thank militaryfamilyof5
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at The Colonies at Williamsburg Resort, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for your amazing review on The Colonies at Williamsburg! We’re so pleased that the accommodations were to your liking and that our staff was welcoming. We look forward to hosting your family again on your next Williamsburg vacation.
Hollywod, Fl.
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Let me first state that we exchanged our timeshare through Interval International. We have stayed at many timeshares. The Colonies was one of the best experiences our family has ever had. There is no nickel and diming for amenities such as playing tennis or renting movies. They also give you plenty of towels, laundry soap, kitchen supplies, etc. Staff was friendly...the people who stay there are friendly and the resort is very nice. I cannot think of one negative comment regarding The Colonies. If you stay in Williamsburg, this is the place to stay!!

1 Thank PhilipT
Thank you for a great review! We’re so happy to read that you enjoyed your first visit at The Colonies at Williamsburg and that the level of service we provide pleasantly surprised you. Our employees take great pride in delivering attentive service to guests and sharing this type of feedback lets them know that their hard work doesn't go unnoticed. We look forward to sharing our hospitality with you the next time you visit our amazing city!
Anniston,AL
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This is a wonderful place to call "home" while you enjoy the sites in Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, Water Country USA, and, as we did, drive to D.C. for 2 days. The complex is very nice - still under expansion - but there was never a problem with construction noise. Indoor and outdoor pools, kids game room. The condo was very comfortable and nice, only down side was security was so good we had to use the card key to go through 3 doors to get inside- LOL Catch-22. It is around the corner from the shopping outlets, a Food Lion, travel to Williamsburg was about 15 minutes, Busch Gardens 20 minutes, and Water Country about 20 minutes. There are a ton of good restaurants nearby. Condo was clean, beds were comfortable - even the sofa bed for the grand kids. Although we didn't participate in the resort activities, they appeared to have many available, and they never made us feel pressured to attend a "sales" meeting. I would highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: All rooms will be a small walk to the pool and clubhouse. We were supposed to have a 1st floor room...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at The Colonies at Williamsburg Resort, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you for your lovely recommendation! We’re so happy to know that you enjoyed our hospitality The Colonies at Williamsburg and that you appreciated the value we offer our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back to your home away from home in Williamsburg!
Pottstown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed here in mid-May as a timeshare exchange. What drew us in were the pics of the outdoor pool that I knew my 6 yr old would love and the proximity to Colonial Williamsburg. I called in early May to check on the pool being open because of the recent high temps and was told it would be opened the week after we left. Boo! Surprisingly, it was opened the day before we arrived, so although a bit chilly, it was open and my son had a blast in it! The majority of it was only 3 ft 6 in deep so it was great! There's also a nice sized hot tub that fits a ton of people!

Check in was a breeze and no hard sell for a timeshare presentation/tour- THANK YOU!

We stayed in Unit 8B by the front entrance which was a very short walk to the clubhouse and pools. As other reviews state, there are no elevators and we were on the 2nd floor in a 2 bdrm, 2 bath, with 1 small child and a hubbie w a bad back, so I got to carry all of our belongings. The building we were in had 4 units, 2 up top and 2 below. Not sure what our downstairs neighbors thought of us, but I thought the place was well sound proofed. By the way, I read about a train and construction- we heard neither of these though we saw the nearby train tracks and they are expanding at the rear of the property.

Room accomodations/amenities overall were just right. Clean rooms, nice beds, Flat Tvs in each bedroom as well as living room, free WIFI, sufficient closet and dresser space, nice size bathrooms, one with large shower and one with jetted tub, and a washer and dryer. Kitchen was nicely stocked (with grocery store within mins drive). One issue with the room was that they had a few fake plants with Spanish moss...with a toddler, that's ASKING for trouble...needless to say it was constantly all over the place. I considered calling to see if they could remove the plants from our room for our stay, instead of cleaning it up constantly, but we muddled through. They also had a fireplace that the little hands kept trying to get into, but it was still a nice feature.

The resort had a number of activities throughout the week as well as free game check out, DVDs and a nice game room with ping pong. The indoor pool was also very nice despite the sometimes overwhelming chlorine smell.

One issue we had was outside in the main pool, my husband stepped on something sharp in the water and realized that it was rusted metal that had fallen off of one of the many basketball nets in the pool. He was asked to 'fill out' an incident report that consisted of just his name and address and that was it. No apology or anything. Disappointing. By the next day, the remainder of the metal in the water was cleaned up.

My only other complaint (which is minor at best) was that while sitting on our covered deck during some rains we had, it was obvious that the gutters hadn't been cleaned in some time and the water was just pouring over. It forced me inside becuase it ended up all over the deck. Again, nothing major, but an observation.

Overall, a really nice stay in a nice resort. I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Request near clubhouse and away from construction.
2 Thank Heathe2260
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We’re happy that you enjoyed your time at our resort and would return but we’re so sorry that your husband was injured in the pool. As soon as his injury was known, efforts were taken to remove any such debris and new backboards have since been ordered. Usually it is our policy to make two follow up calls whenever an incident is reported. We apologize that this didn’t happen in your case and will follow up with our staff to see why this wasn’t completed. Our grounds staff makes a concerted effort to stay on top of gutter cleaning on a building-by-building basis but we will raise this issue to the top of our priority list for this service. Again we thank you for your patronage and we hope that we may be able to share our hospitality with you at The Colonies again on your next Williamsburg vacation.
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I was introduced to this Awesome Vacation spot by a dear friend who let me use her time share for me and my Family to vacation in Williamsburg, Va. I am so appreciative for the opportunity to stay there. When I walked into the unit (#60 A) I was amazed at the large bedrooms and the amount of space in the Living room and Kitchen. The kitchen had beautiful granite counter tops, deep sinks, and the refrigerator was one I wish I had in my house. The beds were comfortable and the roll away cot was one I could sleep in on a regular basis. This was one of the nicest places that I have stayed in and the Staff were so accommodating. I needed a pack and play and had walked to the front desk to get it and before I could get back to our unit, they had delivered the bed. Talk about service! There was nothing that I didn't like about the Colonies.The bathrooms were beautiful and the shower heads were amazing. The water stayed hot and had spigots had oscillating head to massage every part of your body. Lovely:) Everything was perfect and the view from our balcony faced the water park and my granddaughters loved every second of it. Even on rainy days, It was still things to do. I would recommend to any one visiting Williamsburg, Va. to stay here. This was the perfect place for my family and when We come back to Williamsburg, we will stay again. My whole family loved it. It was close to all major roads and by the first day, we had learned our way around. Fun, wonderful and spacious.

Room Tip: The rooms are were well insulated and I never heard any noise from the other tenants or from the out...
1 Thank Gequita R
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at The Colonies at Williamsburg Resort, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing your 5-star recommendation of The Colonies at Williamsburg with TripAdvisor and with us! Excellent customer service is one of our highest priorities and we’re glad to know that your interactions with our staff exceeded your expectations. Thank you for allowing us to provide your family with a memorable vacation and we look forward to your return.
Caguas, Puerto Rico
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I picked this resort, among others in the area, based on the pictures uploaded and the reviews on TripAdvisor - still, expecting nothing out of the ordinary; but it was. The room was exceptionally well-taken care of - well-equiped with everything you needed. Free HBO and WIFI kept us busy in the evenings. The indoor pool was a great alternative on windy days, but with good sun, the out door was just perfect - lots of fun. Limited options to buy food at the pool, but you can take your own.

Supermarket and a big outlet within a mile - really convenient. Really close to all the area attractions, Busch Gardens, Colonial Jamestown and a beautiful drive to the Yorktown and Jamestown area.

Must say, the best time share exchange ever for us.

Room Tip: First floor...
1 Thank AlexPena
Thank you for your lovely 5-star recommendation of The Colonies at Williamsburg! We’re fortunate to have such a beautiful resort and a great staff to deliver service day in and day out. We love knowing that we exceeded your expectations and we appreciate you sharing your experience with us. We can’t wait to welcome you back!