“Charming Stay”

Ranked #22 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
north carolina
“Charming Stay”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Wonderful experience from the moment we arrived. Staff escorted us to Peter Hay's kitchen, a private, 2 story building. Downstairs, a living area with a large fireplace( with a sign posted regarding seasonal use), some rather uncomfortable but period appropriate furniture and a small kitchenette. Upstairs, a queen canopy bed and small but servicible modern bathroom. The location was perfect- I enjoyed a late night walk through CW. The house was cozy and clean, the bed beautiful and comfortable. Right on the grounds of Colonial Williamsburg. Spa amenities available at the Inn, as well as prioroty seating at CW restaurants and a parcel delivery service. A very unique and special place to stay. Easy, designated parking which is a big plus in this area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank nowservingno4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Greenville
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stumbled upon these treasures a few years ago, and now stay at them every time we travel to Williamsburg, VA (2-3 times a year). The rooms are modern, each with it's own bath, but decorated in the period. All are ON the Colonial Williamsburg property and each has its own personality. One can stay on the main street (DOG - Duke of Gloucester), or within a block or two. Some can hold a whole group (a house with individual rooms), others are more like a B&B. The folks operating this are warm and friendly and make the experience all the better

Room Tip: you can book an exact room when you call - so look at the pdf of the room locations on the Colonial...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kait58
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The wife and I have stayed at multiple Colonial Houses during the last few years, and I highly recommend a stay if you have not done so already. Other reviews have pointed out these residences are peppered throughout the Colonial area. This is true, so location can be important. And yes, some of these houses are original to the Colonial area, with others being authentic reproductions - on the outside, at least. The insides are all updated to 20th century standards, with TVs, irons and ironing boards, coffeemakers, telephones and digital clock radios. Keep in mind their construction style prohibits much in the way of insulation, so you will need to adjust the climate control accordingly. Having said that, my wife (who sleeps cool) and I (who sleep hot) have never had any serious difficulty keeping comfortable.

Your room service and amenities are provided by the Williamsburg Inn, and we have never experienced anything but prompt and courteous service from their hotel staff. Small fireplaces are attached to most properties, and the hotel requests you call the desk to have a fire lit. It seems inconvenient at first, but staff has cheerfully tolerated calls from me at 1am on New Years Day after the Lodge's Gala to have the fire tended. Room Service has an extensive menu, and can cater to most meal needs, breakfast, lunch or dinner. They are also your source for ice unless you are staying at one of the taverns, which have ice machines in the basement.

The swimming pools are a short to medium walk away, depending on location, and the concierge desk at the Williamsburg Inn lobby is at your disposal for reservations, tickets, and information.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jack M
Grapevine, Texas
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My husband and I came to Colonial Williamsburg with our mothers, and we rented both rooms in this cottage for a long weekend. We all loved being right in the "heart" of Duke of Gloucester Street. The cat from the Post Office stopped by to visit us in the morning!

The mothers stayed upstairs in the room with two twin beds. It had several windows and was very comfortable for them. Their larger bathroom also had a small, free-standing cabinet for towels that provided a surface for toiletries, toothbrush, etc.The bellman happily carried their suitcases up the steep, spiral staircase. My husband and I stayed downstairs with the queen canopy bed and fireplace. Our bathroom was a little smaller, and had only a small shelf for items, and only one plug (in the light fixture). All of our beds were comfortable, and when we called the Inn for more pillows and ice, the bellman was there within 10 minutes. Both rooms had single-cup Keurig coffee makers, and I wished I had bought some k-cups of my favorite coffee! Thankfully, too, CW provided big unmrellas and a lantern flashlight in our closet, and we used both items a couple of times!

The only thing that would have made the rooms more comfortable was some sort of kitchenette, or even a refrigerator. We were a long walk (or a 10-minute bus ride) from Market Square for breakfast, and we would have appreciated being able to keep some food in our rooms. We ended up buying a small cooler at a gas station, and it served the purpose.

Sure, if you want luxury, stay at the Inn; and if you want better value, stay in town. But if you want the "real" Colonial Williamsburg experience, stay in the Colonial Homes!

Room Tip: Definitely read the description before booking your room so you make sure you are getting the right...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ChristieP
Sparta, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Just got back from staying at a room in the Marketsquare Tavern right in the middle of Colonial Williamsburg. What fun! Very quaint. Turns out that Thomas Jefferson stayed in one of these rooms while studying law. No one knows which room, but we are pretty sure it was ours! Also, our room was featured in the Patriot movie shown at the Visitor Center - canopy bed and all! Check in and all amenities are through the Williamsburg Inn, so you can't beat that.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Christine_B_12761
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed August 16, 2012

The Brick tavern is great fun & we have stayed in multiple rooms there. My only real complaint is that there is a complete lack of shelf space in the bathrooms. Barely enogh room for your toothbrush and forget makeup. Remember that these are acutal old spaces so if you want the Disney version without quirks, funny angles or creaky floors, this isnt for you.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jackie b
Florida
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I'm about to make my third "package" visit to Colonial Williamsburg which means staying at one of the properties. The "Autumn Stories" package is worth exploring if you're reading this near the end of the summer and thinking about a visit. There are others at different seasons. Check the website for full details or call the information number to speak to someone, as I did. They are incredibly helpful! This visit will be my third staying in the Brick House Tavern. When I went on my own last spring I had the corner room on the ground floor. The large four poster was very comfortable, and there was the bonus of the double aspect windows looking out onto Duke of Gloucester at the front and Botetourt Street at the side. It was not noisy at all. Last October was a girlfriend's getaway and we had the room just along the hall so we could have twin beds. They are canopies and very comfortable. The bathroom in this room is larger, and the room overlooks the back of the tavern with a view of the new Armoury and the Anderson kitchen. This is the room I've requested for the upcoming visit when I'll be sharing with my sister.
Guests staying in the colonial houses are considered guests of the Williamsburg Inn, and the magnificent Inn breakfast is included in the package! I did stay a few nights at the Inn about six years ago, and it was luxurious, but I do prefer my little room in the Brick House Tavern. Stepping out the main door one morning I was greeted by the baa-ing of sheep in the meadow on the next block. I'll take that over plush carpeting anytime!

Room Tip: If staying in the tavern ask for a room on the ground floor.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends