“Gorgeous, fun and well worth it!”

Colonial Houses-Colonial Williamsburg
Ranked #10 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed July 17, 2011

My 10 year old son and I recently took a 3 day trip to Williamsburg and treated ourselves to the Colonial Houses! We were both awed at how pretty everything was. The room (with a wood burning fire place for use in the winter) was HUGE, beautifully decorated and clean, clean, clean!! I didn't think it could get better when I rounded the corner into the bathroom but ... WOW! Everything looked brand new and was spotless!! Very, very pleased! We ordered dessert room service one night and even though it was just after regular room service hours, they kindly and promptly delivered us our dessert. The concierge was wonderful. The bellmen were very helpful with driving directions, the staff at both restaurants we ate in were all so nice. We didn't want to leave! Would HIGHLY recommend any of these houses for a bit of a splurge. My son can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank lenab

Reviewed June 17, 2011

What an absolute pleasure to stay in a Colonial House in Williamsburg. It made you feel that you were really a part of history. The room was authentic down to the beautiful canopied bed. The service was extraordinary. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 13, 2011

My wife and I stayed in the Isham Goddin shop and loved it. Right next to Christiana Campbell's Tavern and its lovely garden, where we ate on our 2nd night. We ate at Chawning's Tavern on the first night and both were great fun with nice food as well as entertainers.

The cottage had 2 bedrooms and actually a nice bathroom - with lovely toiletries from the on-site spa. The upstairs bedroom was a bit cramped as it was in the eaves in essence but the history made up for it. We're Brits and this is similar to some National Trust properties I'd seen: historically correct and very nicely done, with a bit of added 5 star service thrown in - lovely concierge staff at the Inn, where you check in and there was even room service (which we didn't use). And the cottage even had modern conveniences like AC and flat screen TV. You really felt you were part of the action. We were at one end of the high street but that's no problem. Parking was a private spot under the trees right behind the garden.

Colonial WIlliamsburg was fascinating and I can recommend a stay in one of the Colonial Houses - we'd definitely go back if we get the chance.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank precky1234
Reviewed May 2, 2011

We stayed in the first floor of the Nicholas-Tyler Office over a long weekend in April/May 2011. The location couldn't have been better. We were directly across the street from the Magazine and Courthouse. All we had to do was cross the street and we were in the middle of the city.

The office itself was built, I believe, in the 1980's on the foundation of a prior building that burned to the ground. We were advised that it was on this property that John Tyler was told President Harrison had died. The Nicholas-Tyler Laundry is another reconstructed building on the same property.

Our room was the entire bottom floor of the house, which included a living room, bedroom with two canopied double beds, kitchen area (no microwave, but there was a sink and shelves for storage), and bathroom with dressing room. There was plenty of space and a great feel to the place.

We had daily maid service, access to all the amenities at the Inn -even room service -and much more space and atmosphere than any hotel room. The price was a good value for essentially having an entire house to yourself. If their were guests upstairs we never heard them. The building has three doors. Two for the ground floor and a third separate entrance for the second floor. If you're a bigger group, there is a door that adjoins both levels.

Definitely recommend for families who need some extra space and couples looking for some romantic atmosphere.

A note for joggers: from the front door of the office you are only a couple blocks from the college and Duke of Gloucester Street is directly across the street. It was so much fun running around CW early in the morning when the streets were deserted except for the costumed employees heading to their postings. I literally ran into "Thomas Jefferson". CW is a joggers paradise.

Room Tip: Look at the descriptions for each house on website
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
9  Thank Tippy1781
Reviewed April 5, 2011

My husband, son and a friend of ours went in January. We stayed in the Brick House Shop. It was so nice to turn the corner and be right on the main street. It was so nice in the off season. It was not crowded at all. The bed was ok. I itched the first 2 nights until i figured the wool blanket was the cause. Pillows were very fluffy that was not my thing. I wished I had taken my own pillow. Over all we had a great time. A nice family vacation.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank cmollys
Reviewed February 13, 2011

We stayed in a room in the Brick House Tavern. It was fantastic...high ceilings, a queen sized poster bed, a (non-working) corner fireplace, and replica period furniture. Even my husband, who is not easily impressed, thought the room was awesome. And it was right in the center of everything. We could leave the building by a door in our room, and it would get other tourists talking every time. People asked us, "Are you staying in there?" They were really surprised that it was even a hotel room option. The best part is, we got this room at an unbelievably inexpensive rate because it is off-season. The reason the room loses a star is because of the bathroom. Although the hotel brags that the rooms have "all modern amenities," the only thing modern about the bathroom is that it has running water and a toilet. The communal hall bathroom in my old college dorm beat this one hands down. The bathrooms are in desperate need for an upgrade. I think if we had paid full price for the room, I would have been more disappointed because of the bathroom.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank lynncy1
Reviewed January 13, 2011

If you love history, this is the place for you. I've been coming to Colonial Williamsburg for 12 years. I am a Colonial Williamsburg foundation society member. My fiance and I were just here in the beginning of November with my grandparents and had yet another amazing time. If you really want to emerse yourself in history, staying in a colonial home is the way to do it. My advice on booking a house perfect for you, is to look through their home description booklet at http://www.history.org/visit/hotels/colonialhouses/images/ColHouses_0.pdf. You must call ahead in advance to get the house you want and you cannot book online. This trip we were fortunate to have reserved the Brick House Tavern Shop.

Well let me tell you about our fall experience. Once we arrived in town, we drove up to the Williamsburg Inn to check in. You must go to the Inn to check in for the homes. Check Inn was a breeze like always. They had keys, tickets, and all information right on the counter waiting for me. A wonderful bellhop walked me back out of the hotel and got on antique bicycle to take us to the Brick House Tavern Shop. He showed us where to park and helped us with the bags. He opened the door and I was instantly impressed. The living room of this house is HUGE. It has a nice plush red couch, fireplace, pretty coffee table, huge tv cabinet with a flat screen, two red wingback chairs with a lovely wooden table in between. The picture, window treatments, lamps, and rugs are gorgeous in the entire home. The bedroom downstairs has a very unique canopy bed with two night stands, another set of wingback chairs, a tv cabinet with another flat screen. There is also a very nice mirror and table in this room. The bathroom is very cute and has a window. There is a walkin closet in this room too. The downstairs area also has a table with a coffee maker, mugs, glasses, and a small frig. Upstairs there is a another great room with two full beds. Again this room is decorated beautifully. This room also as a tv cabinet with a flat screen tv, mirror, wingback chair, antique wooden chair, nightstand, and very nice lamps. There is another adorable bathroom with a window. Both bathrooms have tub/showers. The closet in this room isn't a walk in, but still has a ton of room. You will have everything you could possibly need. Amazing soaps and bathroom amenities, umbrellas, laundry service, and firewood. This house is perfect for a party of four.

While we were there, we had breakfast at the Regency room at the Inn each morning, as we were on a fall package. The Inn is just a short walk from this house, so it worked out perfectly for my grandparents. The Regency room is lovely. They serve a HUGE breakfast buffet fit for a king every single morning. Once we were done with breakfast, we would participate in whatever activites this amazing place had to offer. We took a carriage ride in one of the nicest carriages Williamsburg has. It is owned by the hotel and only the guests can use it. It was originally built by Queen Victoria and she actually rode in it once. The carriage driver Tommy is very funny and informative. We toured all the buildings and admired all the decor. The new coffee shop is great, because they let you sample the coffee and hot chocolate you would have had back then. There were many performances right in the street as you walked by. There are reenactors all around ready and willing to talk to you and answer your questions. We explored Market Square which has lots of little wonderful shops, with all kinds of unique items. Went to Jamestown and Yorktown, which is just a short lovely drive away. We had dinner at the King Arms Tavern, which not only has wonderful food, but singers and musicians that walk around and entertain you. We did two ghost tours. The first one took you into different colonial buildings where great actors acted out ghost stories. The second tour took you around the location where workers and guests have actually had experiences. We just enjoyed so many things. You can never be bored here.

As for the staff, I didn't run into anyone that wasn't helpful and happy. All of the staff at the Inn were not only helpful, but would tell you short stories and answer questions. Most of the staff has worked for Williamsburg for over 20 years and they love it. They really are at the heart of what makes this place so great.

I can't say enough about Colonial Williamsburg. It is truly a magically place.

Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple