“Need to chill - please.”

A Williamsburg White House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 21 Williamsburg B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Baltimore
“Need to chill - please.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

Just wanted to offer some feedback after staying in this B&B in Williamsburg. I know that staying at a B&B adds a level of local flavor and quaintness - that's why we often prefer to stay at one rather than a hotel. But when the Innkeeper lays it on too thick - it can become irritating. We arrived in a major rain storm to find the unpaved parking lot flooded, so pulled in close to the path and ran for the door to check in. We were greeted with the abrupt greeting that we could check in if I moved the car first, nice first impression. After bringing in our bags we were shown where afternoon wine and treats would be served and warned to not get any crumbs on the floor as he had just vacuumed. And then the rules, posted like warnings throughout the property, don't touch this, don't go here, don't even think of.... again unnecessary and further distancing any chance of charm or warmth. So after bearing a night of heat so intense it was unbearable - again because the warning that we were not allowed to alter the temperature. Oh I forgot, we were told to submit our breakfast choice the evening before, which was strange as the two "choices" were the one cooked offering or cold cereal - hardly a choice at the price of the overnight tariff. But then we were told by the innkeeper that we needed to arrive at precisely 8:30 or we could eat it cold. Nice touch. Ten the first greeting of the morning was " I see we have some strange faces here this morning." did you mean to say new faces or new guests? Then when my wife asked for a Diet Coke, she was informed that they didn't serve soda but he had one in the back that belonged to one of his kids and she could have one if she still wanted it. Damn, what a way to make a guest feel welcome. Everyone at the table could not believe how that was handled. Okay I get it, the clever images of past presidents and all the politico themes, but nothing replaces civility and hospitality. I must say we have never encountered this kind of treatment. An envelope in the room asked for a tip for the house staff complete with their names, minus one name crossed out with a handwritten note from the innkeeper saying that this individual had been "too attentive" to guests. Wow, TMI. All in all, the place is worn, the food average and unimaginative and the room, the FDR suite, hot and noisy from creaking floor boards from the room above ours. So my advice, from someone with a great sense of humor and high threshold for irregularities - dial the signs and rules way back, as well as the heat, give the place a spruce up, stop the sarcasm and demands and buy some real pillows, they were as flat and uncomfortable as your jokes and elementary school rules. We're all adults, we get it, it's your home, believe me, we'll treat it with respect without the pep talk, I promise. Sorry, but won't see you next time.

Room Tip: The West Wing seemed like a good choice but you should select the room upstairs to avoid hearing eve...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Jamesnaylorjr
retiredrnvirginia, Owner at A Williamsburg White House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Well, Jim and Debby, you certainly have expressed your discontent in a wonderful novel.
The reason I even take the time to respond is to clarify that your discontent was evident from your arrival in the rain. We are a Century Old Estate with a gravel driveway required by local law so when you park and block the walkway and are asked to move your car before you check in, it is for the courtesy of the other 12 guests staying here.
Many of the complaints that you listed here are your opinion and very eloquently stated, but in fact falsely represent our property.
As you stated you enjoy staying at B&B's, I noted from your other tripadvisor reviews from other trips they were mostly hotels such as the Residence Inn, the Marriot and a Condo in Ocean City. There was only one other B&B, so like many other people, it is a a personal choice and sometimes a hotel is a better match for them..
I see you were bothered by us asking that our guests respect our property. I know we shouldn't have to leave signs everywhere and remind adults how to treat other's property but the sad fact is that we have to. We ask you not to drop crumbs as we have other guests who prefer not to walk through other guests crumbs. When you are checked into your room, we let you know, if you are hot, feel free to open a window. We are available 24 hours a day so we just ask you call us if you are uncomfortable and we will do our best to meet your needs. Just pick up the phone and call! You sounded very annoyed that you had to turn in a menu for breakfast? All of this is clearly stated on our website as well as the fact that we serve one entrée daily. Signs on the doors reminding our guests to close them behind them? Some people think they live in a barn and leave the doors open? We in fact asked you to close the doors behind you.Why do we need to put those signs there? I guess we could forget the signs and just let everyone do what they wish, but most of our guests would not prefer that!
"A Sense of humor and high threshold for irregularities" is what we here at the White House hold high and strong as we have seen a few guests that think it is all about them! I guess I am not taken back that you will not be visiting us again. Some people have great contempt for rules and regulations and have no problem telling us how to run our Inn to their standards. We treasure the 99.9% of the guests that visit us and return often. This January we will be hosting our 25,000th guest. I think we may be doing something right.
I think the Marriot is probably a place without Century old charm, no noisy floor boards, no crumbs on the floor, paved driveways and cold rooms. It is definitely a place that you won't have to worry about any rules.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
manassas va
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

I took my husband to Williamsburg for the Thankgsgiving holiday weekend as a surprise late 2nd year wedding anniversary present. He had never stayed in a B&B so I wanted to treat him to something new. I had previously stayed in other B&B's and knew what to expect, he, however, was not. Debbie and John were gracious hosts and were very attentive to our needs. Since we were arriving on Thanksgiving day they were able to leave the keys for our room in their "arriving dignitaries" box so we could get settled in before we went to Colonial Williamsburg for our Thanksgiving dinner. We stayed in the FDR bed chambers in the "West Wing". Love all of the presidential touches. Even the parking spaces are marked for "Secretary of State", "ambassador", very nice fun touch. Having to pick our breakfast the night before was a plus, I believe. If, for some reason you had dietary restrictions or just weren't wild about what was being served you had the chance to ask for something else and they were unbelievably accommodating to special requests rather than coming to breakfast and being surprised with something you really didn't like or couldn't eat. Everything was yummy, especially loved the stuffed french toast with blueberries!!! The evening "happy hour" from 5-7 was a nice touch with pour yourself wine and port and always a yummy goodie from brownies to scones and my husband particularly enjoyed being able to chat with the other guests, unlike an impersonal hotel. The room we were in was very nice, The television was very small and, unfortunately, we were not able to control the temperature in the room. The thermostat was outside in the hallway and had a sign on it not to touch so we didn't but it was very warm in the room and we didn't think to open a window since we didn't want to compromise the heat. Live and learn because John told us the next morning that would have been fine to do. The bed was very spacious, comfy and suited our needs quite well. The location was great as well being across from Williiam and Mary and very close to Colonial Williamsburg. Walking distance IF you have the right shoes on! Overall, our experience was very positive and we felt like we were very well taken care of. If we go to Williamsburg again we will probably stay there. Thanks again to John and Debbie for an enjoyable time! And, I didn't have to cook or clean up!!! :-)

Oak Hill, va
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

Been to W'burg many times and have stayed in many places. For the first time we tried a B&B there and what fun we had. The owner is not a big fan of reviews, but I promised him he would see mine!

We have been in all kinds of B&B's, from terrible to over the top, but his place is near the top of the list. First of all for value, you cannot beat it. With the room, breakfast and evening wine and treats, you cannot get a better deal Second, the host and hostess are crazy fun. I admit, I read all the reviews of several inns before booking this place and I always read the bad ones. The people who get the owners have a great time and the people who don't get them have a bad time. By the way, people that did not like this place are people I would not get, because there is no way you have a bad time here unless you have something stuck up your (?????).

The Inn is well kept, and very accessible. We were two couples and we stayed in the two rooms of the FDR suite in the new section. Picked this due to the King beds and they were very nice. I would also note that they were very quite. Even though we were in the back, we spent a lot of time in the main house, as they have a large two-room library to hang out in. We also socialized with other guests and the host there. Breakfast both days was very good. Interestingly I have read that some people were put off by the requirement to make a breakfast selection the night before. I did not find this a problem, have seen it in other inns and actually think it sped service along in the morning as the meals were already decided and served promptly to the group. Also the hostess actually made alterations to some selections at the table (changing a poached egg to scrammbled for example) when a guest requested.

While I generally like to stay in different places, I will definately be back to this place, as the location is great to the campus and the owners are really fun.

Room Tip: If you take yourself too serviously, this may not be the place for you.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

This was our first time at a Bed and Breakfast . We stayed in The Jefferson Bed Chamber is was as Beautiful as the pictures. We were greeted upon arrival by John who was WONDERFUL. Loved the Decor and Charm of this Old Home. Minutes walk to Colonial Williamsburg John Answered and Helped Us.Debbie Baked Wonderful Treats for us in the Afternoon. Meeting other guest was delightful and fun. Breakfast was Wonderful made by Debbie. We LOVED The CHARM and Gracious Hosts. Debbie and John THANK YOU for making eggs special for me accommodating to my lapband at the last minute. We are planning OUR NEXT TRIP LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING YOU AGAIN. Thank You

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
innkeeper718, Owner at A Williamsburg White House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Tara,
It was an absolute pleasure meeting the both of you! We are so glad you enjoyed your time with us. I am glad that we could substitute something for your special diet...You Look Great!! Hoping to see you both again in the Future! Have a wonderful holiday season.
DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

Caution: If you are looking for a "cute" or "unique" B&B experience, this inn is not for you.

Positives: Debbie and John are gracious and very friendly hosts. The rooms are modern and nicely appointed. The presidential theme is nice. Most of all, the location is prime for a walk into downtown/colonial Williamsburg.

Negatives: Almost everything is bleh. Breakfast, consisting of eggs, sausage, two pieces of fruit and scones was well prepared but about as exciting as if you had stayed at a Hampton Inn. Pillows were terrible. Worst of all, if you want any flexibility about when to wake up and eat breakfast, they don't allow it - we were told you eat at 830 or you eat cold/not at all.

We would probably try another one next time...

4 Thank aquaguy6
innkeeper718, Owner at A Williamsburg White House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Enjoyed your review and we are truly happy that you enjoyed our location and hospitality! Sorry you didn't enjoy the breakfast. It sounds like you were here for one night so I guess you picked the wrong morning for your tastes, to enjoy our breakfasts! In regards to your upset surrounding our breakfast time, it is clearly stated on our website what time we serve breakfast. We make our entrees' fresh and do not leave them warming in a buffet style serving so that is why we serve at one time...to assure you fresh, warm food in the morning! We wish you the best and suggest you check with the next place you stay to confirm their breakfast times. All Bed and Breakfasts are different!
Bakersfield, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

Mom and I stayed here for our trip to Williamsburg. It is a beautiful and affordable B&B. We stayed in the Lincoln room. Beautiful! From the large comfortable bed to the sitting area and the plus of TWO bathrooms! The breakfasts were elegant and the hosts loved to visit and give you tips about the area. I highly recommend this B&B, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Youngsville, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

A beautiful and comfortable B & B. Very well done Presidential themed decor throughout the home. Debbie and John were gracious hosts who offered afternoon Sherries and presented a great breakfast. We highly recommend this B&B.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends