“We would have loved to have stayed longer.”

The Historic Powhatan Resort
Ranked #22 of 74 Hotels in Williamsburg
A TripAdvisor Member
“We would have loved to have stayed longer.”
Reviewed December 20, 2005

Our holiday arrangements were thrown into turmoil when my brother passed away three days before we were due to fly out from England. New arrangements were made though and we eventually flew out on Thursday having lost 5 days of our two week stay at Powhattan Plantation. Having read some of the reviews, I had great reservations about the resort - expecting to be met by indifferent staff and wading through plies of Goose droppings but we had a wonderful time. We arrived at 2.30am after a long flight into Washington Dulles and then a long car journey to Williamsburg. Checking in was easy at that time of the morning and our first floor (2nd floor to Americans), two bedroomed unit was fine. The decor was dated and the beds became uncomfortable after a week but the unit was pefectly acceptable to anyone not used to living in a palace or with grandoise ideas. The grounds were very well maintained and as much as we searched, we couldn't find any goose droppings. The restaurants provided good food although The Kitchen was expensive (and the wild mushrooms rather overpowered the dilicate food they were served with). The outdoor pool was fine although a bit cooler than I like. All the staff were very friendly. It is a wonderful resort to be based at and from which to learn how us Brits started America (rather than the Boston experience which tells us how the Americans beat the British). The whole area will be celebrating 400 years of America in 2007 and we will be going back again. Everyone in the area made us feel welcome and we had a great time. We will also stay at Powhattan Plantation again. It is really nice to find an area where the British are warmly welcomed. Note for British visitors - No bank - anywhere within 100 miles - will change foreign money so make sure that you take alternative means of payment.

• Stayed September 2005
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
Reviewed December 12, 2005

We stayed at Powhattan Plantation on December 9th & 10th 2005. I could not believe how nasty the place was when I first opened the door. The carpet was so disgusting that you certainly did not want to take your shoes off. Everything was dirty, dingy and old. I cannot even express how disappointed I was in these accommodations. BEWARE, the pictures on the internet make this property look nice, I have no idea where those pictures came from, but they were certainly not taken anywhere I could find. The mattresses were the most uncomfortable things that I have ever has the misfortune to sleep upon. The twin beds were like sleeping on a stack of lumber and the sofa bed mattress was 2 inches thick and had to be placed on the floor in order to get any sleep. I have now been home for three days and my back is still killing me. I do not see how ANYONE could rate this as anything but terrible. I was not expecting the Ritz, but when the local Rodeway Motel looked like the Ritz in comparison to this, you know there are too many problems to list. We left earlier than expected just to get away from "the bates motel."

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Williamsburg hotels

Reviewed December 7, 2005

My family and I visited Powhatan in September of this year and had a great time.........so we returned in December. We stayed in unit 106C and the unit was excellent. Full kitchen, new appliances, two bathrooms, two bedrooms, fireplace and hot tub. The unit had been recently refurbished and was way past our expectations. The staff was friendly and helpful. Check-in was a breeze and included coffee and cookies. My family and I are looking forward to our next visit to Powhatan.

• Stayed December 2005
15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 5, 2005

As usual the check in (at 4PM) went smoothly.The second part, to pick up our parking pass was even better. I told the lady "before you ask, I don't want a breakfast or lunch reservation,just 15 min of one of the timeshare reps time to update some things".Without being pressured she let me know the advantage(wonderful gifts)of making a reservation for the 1 hour "pitch".SHowed up, skipped the meal,got my business done and was out in an hour(gift card and other goodies in hand).The trick is to reserve an early breakfast time so you can have the rest of the day to sightsee. This is our 5th trip there and we have virtually no complaints. I can deal with an unbalanced washing machine and a broken switchplate cover.The place was clean and neat and all furniture in good shape, as usual. After all, we were on vacation at a reasonablly priced resort. I did not check into the Penthouse of the Ritz. I just would like to see computer modems in the rooms or at least an updated system in the business center for the guests to use. And thatks to the night clerk that directed us to the wonderful Williamsburg library to use their computers. And yes, we are headed back, this weekend to meet family there.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 4, 2005

We spent 5 nights from 11/27 to 12/2 and the unit was clean and everything in working order. There were no bed bugs or insects of any kind. The furniture was in excellent condition. There were some carpet stains but the carpet was not dirty. The unit did not have a jacuzzi. There was no instruction manual for the micro/convection oven but we asked for one at the front desk and received it within minutes. We had a lovely view of the lake. The weather was great, and we enjoyed 2 good inexpensive meals at the Grill. Not sure why reviews on this place vary so much, but we had a very positive experience. We definitely would go back.

4 Thank LoveFL365
Reviewed November 25, 2005

Just returned last night. This was probably our fourth time at PP over the last several years (we sublet from friends who timeshare here). The good news: Check-in was fast and friendly, the condo was the one we requested (first floor due to my grandson's broken leg) and we got right in, even though we arrived at 1:00 rather than the 4:00 check-in time.

The ugly: The condo has not been upgraded since it opened about 15 years ago. The carpet was stained, the linoleum in the kitchen was chipped, the diswasher leaked water all over the floor, the blankets--I don't wish to even elaborate on the blankets, which were absolutely shredded--really awful). The couch (sofa bed) was so worn down that the cushions were slid back into the frame and couldn't be easily retrieved. It sat so low that you dared not sit in it because getting out was a chore. My grandson sliced his toe open on a piece of glass in the bottom of the hot tub (not the one with the leg cast, who couldn't use it, of course!). We felt around and fished several pieces of glass out. Of course, after that we never felt safe to use it. The coffeemaker leaked.

The bad: Called maintenance one evening around 4:30 because the oven wouldn't turn on. At 6:00 I called again. At 7:30 I asked when someone would be out (I'd been told in the first call, "I don't know anything about the stove, but someone who does will be out shortly.") Tough to feed a family with no oven. Got angry and someone showed up 10 minutes later and got it working. Had him check the hot tub (the was pre-glass discovery) because it took HOURS to heat. Pretty much said that was the way it worked (these are ancient!).

The good: A note pinned to the inside of the front door said the units were scheduled for a complete overhaul between Feb and May of 2006, so things should improve. The bathrooms, though dated, had great showers. The towels were in great shape. The unit had all the dishes, linens and items on the list and they were all in good working order. The unit was clean.

More bad: The miniature golf on the grounds is ratty and--wait for it--my daughter and two grandsons paid $13.00 to play on it!! Can't believe they charged to use this! The guest book says there is firewood (for the fireplace) in strategically located areas. I asked at the general store and was told that "there was no wood this year" and no kindling being sold at the store (as I'd been assured by the front desk.)

My recommendation: If you're booking for 2006, ask for a refurbished unit and make sure you get one!

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 13, 2005

After waiting 20 minutes to check in, we went to our room to realize they checked us into the wrong room. The room we booked was suppose to have a fireplace and jacuzzi. After calling the front desk and an additional 30 minutes, we finally moved to our "correct" room (i.e., one with a fireplace and jacuzzi). To our disappointment and frustration, our correct room had a jacuzzi but it only had about 7 inches of water in it. We called the front desk once again to be told that maintenance would "try" to come out that night to fix it. Maintenance did fix it that night however we still could not use the jacuzzi because the water needed time to heat up. When we went to use the jacuzzi the following day, we couldn't because the water had "leaked" out again. Once again, I called the front desk and the manager said she would send maintenance "right away." Six hours later maintenance refilled the jacuzzi with water but again it was too cold to utilize. In addition to the jacuzzi not working, the carpet had bleach stains all over it. The service was poor and when we complained to manager about the jacuzzi, she was indifferent. This resort is not worth your money.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member