Our holiday arrangements were thrown into turmoil when my brother passed away three days before we were due to fly out from England. New arrangements were made though and we eventually flew out on Thursday having lost 5 days of our two week stay at Powhattan Plantation. Having read some of the reviews, I had great reservations about the resort - expecting to be met by indifferent staff and wading through plies of Goose droppings but we had a wonderful time. We arrived at 2.30am after a long flight into Washington Dulles and then a long car journey to Williamsburg. Checking in was easy at that time of the morning and our first floor (2nd floor to Americans), two bedroomed unit was fine. The decor was dated and the beds became uncomfortable after a week but the unit was pefectly acceptable to anyone not used to living in a palace or with grandoise ideas. The grounds were very well maintained and as much as we searched, we couldn't find any goose droppings. The restaurants provided good food although The Kitchen was expensive (and the wild mushrooms rather overpowered the dilicate food they were served with). The outdoor pool was fine although a bit cooler than I like. All the staff were very friendly. It is a wonderful resort to be based at and from which to learn how us Brits started America (rather than the Boston experience which tells us how the Americans beat the British). The whole area will be celebrating 400 years of America in 2007 and we will be going back again. Everyone in the area made us feel welcome and we had a great time. We will also stay at Powhattan Plantation again. It is really nice to find an area where the British are warmly welcomed. Note for British visitors - No bank - anywhere within 100 miles - will change foreign money so make sure that you take alternative means of payment.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Little Piece of American HistoryVirginia is one of the best places to visit if you are a history buff and want to learn more about the birth of a nation and see relics from days gone by. Williamsburg is a 170-acre historic town that has been restored to its original English condition. The Historic Powhatan Resort offers guests a little piece of colonial history with the restored Manor House (circa 1735). Nestled among 256 acres of beautiful woodland, this resort is loaded with fun things to see and do, and learn a little bit of American history. Rest, Relaxation, and a Whole Lot MoreIf you are looking for a resort that has all kinds of things to do, then you need look no further than The Historic Powhatan Resort. Here you can enjoy both indoor and outdoor swimming pools, tennis courts, an outdoor pavilion, and even a playground for the kids. Each three-bedroom suite has a fully equipped kitchen with a two-burner stovetop, a private balcony and a loft for the ultimate in relaxing vacations.If you are looking for a great meal, you can find it at The Historic Powhatan Bar & Grille, where you will find a casual family dining atmosphere for both breakfast and dinner. Open seven days a week, The Historic Powhatan Bar &Grille has an outdoor patio where you can enjoy a nice, cold drink while watching the peaceful pond (weather permitting, of course). During the breakfast buffet, enjoy being entertained by the resort's very own "first lady", Martha Washington, who will regale guests of all ages with amusing and entertaining stories.Whether you are looking for rest and relaxation, or fun and excitement, you can have it all at The Historic Powhatan Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Booking.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Historic Powhatan Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Historic Powhatan Hotel Williamsburg
- Historic Powhatan Hotel
- Sunterra Powhatan Plantation
- Powhatan Plantation Williamsburg Va