We stayed here as a group of five, 3 adults and 2 teens. Could definitely have slept 6 as comfortably since the sofa bed sleeps 2. Beds were comfortable and overall everything was nice with our unit. A few complaints about the kitchen: not enough dishwashing detergent or trash bags for the length of our stay were left in the kitchen so we had to go to reception to get more, and no spatula among the cook ware made. But other than that I thought our unit was nice and we were all happy there.
We were a bottom unit and I was thankful that the family above was not very active. When the child upstairs ran around it was easily heard by us. Fortunately it never went on for a long period of time. But a family who is less concerned about making noise would have been a major annoyance.
As far as the grounds, the mini golf was great for my kids and me. While not included with your resort stay, it was $10 for the three of us to play which was a very reasonable price. There are several playgrounds on the resort which is nice for younger kids. There are 3 pools (4 if you count the one foot deep baby/toddler pool). One just for adults, a more shallow family one and a regular one, as well as a hot tub. There's also an indoor pool and two additional indoor hot tubs. There's a good amount of pool chairs and many in the shade so that was nice too.
My major complaint about the pool was the lack of supervision from the hotel staff. I know most hotels don't have life guards, I'm okay with that. But during one of our visits to the pool there was a group of older teens/young 20 year olds doing repeated back flips, front flips, no handed cartwheels, twisting jumps, and just all out goofing around that I felt was very unsafe. At no point did a staff member go over and tell them to discontinue their behavior. It went on for at least 20 minutes before they apparently got tired of their antics and then just did more regular swim stuff. I guess since nobody cracked their head on the side of the pool it was considered safe by the staff and didn't need addressing.
While we didn't participate in any of the family activities offered there were several events throughout the day for families to enjoy as part of the "DRIven for fun" summer event. They just didn't happen at times we were free or we would have checked them out. Nice selection of activities though such as Bingo, dancing, scavenger hunt, mini golf, race walking and more.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Little Piece of American HistoryVirginia is one of the best places to visit if you are a history buff and want to learn more about the birth of a nation and see relics from days gone by. Williamsburg is a 170-acre historic town that has been restored to its original English condition. The Historic Powhatan Resort offers guests a little piece of colonial history with the restored Manor House (circa 1735). Nestled among 256 acres of beautiful woodland, this resort is loaded with fun things to see and do, and learn a little bit of American history. Rest, Relaxation, and a Whole Lot MoreIf you are looking for a resort that has all kinds of things to do, then you need look no further than The Historic Powhatan Resort. Here you can enjoy both indoor and outdoor swimming pools, tennis courts, an outdoor pavilion, and even a playground for the kids. Each three-bedroom suite has a fully equipped kitchen with a two-burner stovetop, a private balcony and a loft for the ultimate in relaxing vacations.If you are looking for a great meal, you can find it at The Historic Powhatan Bar & Grille, where you will find a casual family dining atmosphere for both breakfast and dinner. Open seven days a week, The Historic Powhatan Bar &Grille has an outdoor patio where you can enjoy a nice, cold drink while watching the peaceful pond (weather permitting, of course). During the breakfast buffet, enjoy being entertained by the resort's very own "first lady", Martha Washington, who will regale guests of all ages with amusing and entertaining stories.Whether you are looking for rest and relaxation, or fun and excitement, you can have it all at The Historic Powhatan Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia and Orbitz so you can book your The Historic Powhatan Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Historic Powhatan Hotel Williamsburg
- Historic Powhatan Hotel
- Sunterra Powhatan Plantation
- Powhatan Plantation Williamsburg Va