“Overall nice two bedroom unit” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Historic Powhatan Resort
Ranked #22 of 75 Hotels in Williamsburg
Wayne, Pennsylvania
“Overall nice two bedroom unit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

We stayed here as a group of five, 3 adults and 2 teens. Could definitely have slept 6 as comfortably since the sofa bed sleeps 2. Beds were comfortable and overall everything was nice with our unit. A few complaints about the kitchen: not enough dishwashing detergent or trash bags for the length of our stay were left in the kitchen so we had to go to reception to get more, and no spatula among the cook ware made. But other than that I thought our unit was nice and we were all happy there.

We were a bottom unit and I was thankful that the family above was not very active. When the child upstairs ran around it was easily heard by us. Fortunately it never went on for a long period of time. But a family who is less concerned about making noise would have been a major annoyance.

As far as the grounds, the mini golf was great for my kids and me. While not included with your resort stay, it was $10 for the three of us to play which was a very reasonable price. There are several playgrounds on the resort which is nice for younger kids. There are 3 pools (4 if you count the one foot deep baby/toddler pool). One just for adults, a more shallow family one and a regular one, as well as a hot tub. There's also an indoor pool and two additional indoor hot tubs. There's a good amount of pool chairs and many in the shade so that was nice too.

My major complaint about the pool was the lack of supervision from the hotel staff. I know most hotels don't have life guards, I'm okay with that. But during one of our visits to the pool there was a group of older teens/young 20 year olds doing repeated back flips, front flips, no handed cartwheels, twisting jumps, and just all out goofing around that I felt was very unsafe. At no point did a staff member go over and tell them to discontinue their behavior. It went on for at least 20 minutes before they apparently got tired of their antics and then just did more regular swim stuff. I guess since nobody cracked their head on the side of the pool it was considered safe by the staff and didn't need addressing.

While we didn't participate in any of the family activities offered there were several events throughout the day for families to enjoy as part of the "DRIven for fun" summer event. They just didn't happen at times we were free or we would have checked them out. Nice selection of activities though such as Bingo, dancing, scavenger hunt, mini golf, race walking and more.

3 Thank Marianne A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
sanford, nc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

If you are looking for the Ritz Carlton this place is not for you. But if you are looking for a fantastic family resort look no further. We came here for the week of the 4th of July. We had a great time. Our room was roomy and comfortable for 4. We had a 2 bedroom. Spacious rooms, nice size living/dining area, galley kitchen and 2 baths. There also was an outside deck that was ample and comfortable. Very close to all the attractions and many restaurants.
The resort itself has many pools. One adults only pool, a kiddie pool and two other pools for everyone. Also there is a bar at the pool. A restaurant, an indoor pool. Activities all day and night everyday. I can't say enough about this place.

4 Thank sturtzy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

The set up was perfect for our family of 6. We had a ground floor unit and everything was great. We appreciated having a washer/dryer in the unit and being able to cook our own meals as needed. The location was ideal- close to a grocery store, Jamestown, Williamsburg, etc.
The kids enjoyed the pool, and if we had time we'd like to have rented bikes onsite. We also found the price to be very affordable for the set-up. If we were ever in the area again, we would stay here!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank TylerSuzanne C
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

I stayed at the resort the end of June, 2014. I was quite concerned because many of the reviews I read were extremely negative, or, just so-so. But, I was going to make the best out of it, because the price was so good! Well, I was pleasantly surprised by everything. Our unit was one of the updated ones. The first floor unit in Building 77 was spacious, clean, and just lovely. Thank goodness there were no children above us, as we could hear the people walking. A family with small children did check in our last night, and we could certainly hear the kids running all through the unit above us. But, things like that are to be expected; I am glad, though, we only had to "live" below them one night!
The second bathroom was quite small, with limited shelf space for toiletries. I love the built-in chair in the shower.
There needs to be a mirror placed in the second (smaller) bedroom. It's a hassle to try to get dressed and get one's face ready when others are in the two bathrooms. It wouldn't take much at all to hang a mirror somewhere in the unit.
The beds (twin beds in the second bedroom) were extremely comfortable. This was one of my concerns as I am accustomed to a queen sized bed.
I shared the unit with my sister and brother; we "gave" our brother the larger bedroom.
The grounds are lovely. I enjoyed waking up early, and going for a walk, and then, to the small exercise facility. Consider investing in an elliptical for the exercise facility.
Our unit had a patio, as well as a sauna. Definitely didn't need the sauna, but my sister enjoyed sitting there in the early morning. And, when my nephew came over to visit us, he took a quick nap out there.
It is clear that daily housekeeping is not part of the experience, but available for an extra fee. When we did call for extra towels, they were immediately brought over.
One of the concierge we dealt with was not pleasant at all. My sister said perhaps she was new. I disagree; one can be new, but still be pleasant. This young lady simply was not pleasant or helpful. I wish I knew her name, as I would include it in this review. Management needs to know about her.
I would definitely stay here again, and would recommend it to others.
Overall, fantastic experience!

Room Tip: Ask for an updated unit.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Wilma C
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

So many places these days have gotten rid of the real wood-burning fireplaces, but not Powhattan. For this, my husband and I were grateful. We stayed in a unit that had a king bed in one room and twin beds in the other room. Two friends came with us and were very comfortable in the twin beds. I, for one, could have stayed in our king bed the whole trip; it was just that comfortable. We all were delighted too with the fully stocked kitchen and modern appliances and dining area. The washer and dryer were another bonus along with the hot tub -- which was in addition to the Jacuzzi off from the master bedroom that had its own flatscreen TV too. There was an outdoor patio as well. Powhattan is older than its pretty little sister, Diamond Resorts, but DR has lovely accommodations but a fake fireplace. Powhattan, too, is well maintained. Some people may need a little stool to climb up on the wonderful king beds. And when we dined out, we were referred to a place on Rt. 60 called Food for Thought. We knew by the number of cars in the parking lot that the food must be good. And it was -- along with reasonable prices! It could even be called a rival for Cracker Barrel! Can't wait to get back there when the weather is cold and the fireplace is begging to be lit!

Room Tip: Two-bedroom condos offer more amenities. Units come with king beds and a queen bed or a king bed and...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

Our family stayed in a 2 bedroom unit for 3 nights recently on our 2 week long vacation from the west coast. The price was very reasonable and the condo was spectacular. It was an upper unit with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a small deck patio overlooking a creek, a full kitchen and a nice living room. Everything was in great order and the furniture was very comfortable. In fact, both my husband and I dont
sleep well typically and both agreed that the beds at this resort were amazing. We had wonderfully sleepful nights. We are also the type of people who typically require a noise maker to drown out any small noises from outside. While at this resort, we never needed it and had some of the most restfull nights. We were busy the whole time we stayed there, so we didn't have time to enjoy the amenities of the resort itself. On our last day, my daughter and I escaped to the pool for 1 hour and it was a fabulous morning dip. We highly recommend this resort.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

We spent a week at Powhatan and loved it. Our first room wasn't in a good location so they switched us to one by a lake. We had geese and ducks right outside our deck, loved it. This resort is in a great location and has a guard gate. Their restaurant has the best breakfasts! OMG, great eggs....

We shared a two bedroom, two bathroom condo with our friends. They own timeshare packets at different places through RCI.

The kitchen was nice as well as the furnishings and beds. I would recommend this resort to people going to Williamsburg.

Room Tip: Try to get a room off of one of the many lakes.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends