“Spacious but basic”

Ranked #23 of 74 Hotels in Williamsburg
Arlington, Virginia
“Spacious but basic”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We rented two units. Each unit had two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a large living/dining area, adn a kitchen. The TVs did not work when we arrived. When we called the front desk a maintenance person arrived promptly and told us they had a problem with the TVs and in order to keep them working every week or so, they had to turn off the breaker in the fuse box for the TV, wait 1 min, and then flip it back on . . . he showed us how to do it in case the problem reoccurred. The construction is builder's basic grade. Everything (other than the TVs) was functional. Unit was clean. Restaurant menu was limited - not much in the way of healthier options. Kids enjoyed mini-golf.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank 150nightsperyr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
Prince George, Virginia
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I went through Expedia to rent this condo for a long weekend with the girls. I spent thirty minutes checking in because the lady that said she was going to help me with check in began immediately trying to sell a time share. After thirty minutes I finally said I don't want anything that you are offering, she shoved the guest packet at me and told me that someone at the front desk would help me. I asked to speak to a manager and all the sales people stood on the wall and stared at me while I spoke with her. This is not the way to treat your customers. On another note, it wasn't a bad place just to relax at night after busy days of shopping.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank KPannill64
diamondresorts, Manager at The Historic Powhatan Resort, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
We are very sorry to hear that your check in experience was not as pleasant and relaxing as the remainder of your stay. The goal of our Concierge program is to offer the ability to learn more about our company and Vacation Ownership, without pressuring our guests. We regret the agent you spoke with was not aligned with our belief that tour offers and sales presentations should not be a high pressure situation, and we recommend any guest encountering this report it to management, as you did, so we may address this behavior and provide any necessary training. We are confident that if you stay with us again, your check in will be much smoother.

Travelers are raving about these Williamsburg hotels

Concord, New Hampshire
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Upon check in, we were directed to another area for our "welcome package"... a very pushy you-must-make-an-appointment- for a timeshare sales pitch. No thanks. It was unbelievable how rude they were about it.
We arrive at our rooms ( we had both the upper and lower unit) and the door wouldn't open. The green light for the key pad came on, but the door would not budge. My husband kicked it, and it opened. Upon further investigation, we discovered it looked as if it had been painted shut.
We start to unload, with the kids helping, and I noticed dirt and leaves on the floor. At first, I thought the kids had tracked stuff in. As I start to put things away in each room, I am noticing odd things - a screw on the floor, dirt, lint... I then proceed to a bathroom and discovered it had not been cleaned. Clean towels hung on the rails, the the shower had definitely not been cleaned. My husband called the front desk, and they promised housekeeping would be over first thing in the morning. ok. whatever. Won't use that bathroom (the others looked ok).
Since we arrived late, and the younger one was tired, I started to put her to bed..... and oh my God!! A dead bed bug! I yelled for my husband.... told the kids to get off the furniture and stand in the middle of the room. I checked all the other beds.... and sure enough- another one! I called the front desk and at first the tried to say they did not have bed bugs. I said OK - send someone here.... she finally just said to come to the front desk for a new set of keys to another condo.
Needless to say, I spent quite a bit of time making sure this condo did not have bugs and had been cleaned - I even found a "cleaned by" card which the first condo did not have.
The entire week we were there, not one person apologized for what we went through the first night.
The pool was warm, but most of the sports equipment was worn. The mini golf area was cute, but all the balls were white, instead of colors. It is an easy drive to Yorktown & James Town, but I would not stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank mom2fourkidz
diamondresorts, Manager at The Historic Powhatan Resort, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
We always strive to deliver exceptional hospitality and offer good quality accommodations to each of our guests who stay with us, and it is concerning to us that our accommodations and customer service did not meet your expectations. Our maintenance staff oversees an aggressive pest-control program in order to protect against pest problems during the seasons where these types of issues are imminent in Williamsburg. Two separate in-depth inspections of the room in question were made, and after examining the results; it was determined that there no issues of bed-bugs. We have also brought the issues you mentioned in regard to your room to our housekeeping staff’s attention as this is not acceptable for their level of standards when preparing our rooms for our guests’ arrival. We are sincerely and truly sorry that we did not make things completely right during your stay. If you are willing to give us another chance, we are extremely confident that your next stay will be much more enjoyable and even exceed your expectations. Your business with us is sincerely appreciated and we wish you the best on all your future travels.
Bethany Beach
Reviewed December 15, 2013

This is was our 3rd time here, each time we have seen a deterioration. Great location, great amenities (not that we ever have used them), and for the price of a hotel room you get a whole condo! I am not sure how they decide where to put you, condos do vary in decor and lay out. I wish they could keep it well maintained and avoid the negative reviews I am reading here, I also wish they did not come down so hard on the whole time share thing.

Room Tip: Be prepared to dodge the time share, also ask for what you need. Even with the condos being a bit if...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bethanygirl51
diamondresorts, Manager at The Historic Powhatan Resort, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Ensuring that our standards are being continuously upgraded is very important to us and so we are equally disappointed to read about your feelings following your stay. We assure you that we are working towards a full refurbishment and we are certain that soon all the negatives will be addressed. We hope that you will give us another chance to impress and will visit us in the future. Until then we wish you safe travels.
Luray, Virginia
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Although I was told on the phone that we could not be given a fully accessible room as they were kept for condo owners, the only difference in our room would be a step in shower (my mom is in a wheelchair). Well, my idea of accessibility must be very different from theirs.

I was using a Travelzoo voucher, and had been told to expect the sales rap to attend a presentation, but they accepted 'no' fairly quickly. I confirmed that we were in an accessible unit and we were on our way.

The reserved parking space was at least 4 spaces from our unit, plus you had to walk to the end of the parking and past another unit to get to ours. Thank goodness mom was in a wheelchair, and not using a walker! There was only one curb cut - and it was actually a parking space. Twice we came back to a truck in the parking space, partially blocking the curb cut. I did not see any handicap parking spaces at our building.

Yes there was a 'ramp' to the building, but it was a fairly steep grade, and only a couple inches wider than the wheelchair, so a bit tricky pushing her in when it was dark. And there wasn't much manuvering room on the small porch or entryway to our unit.

The condo unit itself was quite large, good sized bedrooms and living room. Furniture was a bit dated, but the linens were fine. Kitchen was in good shape. Unfortunately the toilets were on the floor. We had to call maintenance to bring a lift seat - which took over an hour. There were grab bars in both bathrooms, but some were not within her reach. The club chairs and couch were also too low for mom to sit in. We had to add cusions to a chair, but I still needed to help her out.

I can't believe this resort has over 850 units, but only four handicap accessible rooms - which are reserved for condo owners.

Oh yeah - and the handicap parking for their restaurant was on the other side of the lot and at least 4 spaces down from the entrance. The spaces right next to the door were just regular parking. What's up with that?

Unfortunately we will not stay here again. The travelzoo was a great deal, and we have more exploring to do in the area, but not at this resort.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Denise F
diamondresorts, Manager at The Historic Powhatan Resort, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
It is with deep regret to read that your stay here at The Historic Powhatan Resort did not meet your expectations. We always strive to deliver exceptional hospitality and offer quality accommodations to each guest that stays with us, and it is very concerning to us that we did not meet these expectations. We are deeply concerned with your statement that you were advised that our accessible rooms are reserved only for condo owners. Accessible rooms are available for all guests, regardless of their affiliation with the resort. However, due to the limited availability of these rooms, we cannot always guarantee we can reserve these rooms for our guests. Your concerns will definitely be addressed by our staff. . If you are willing to give us another chance, we are extremely confident that your next stay will be much more enjoyable and even exceed your expectations. Your business with us is sincerely appreciated and we wish you the best on all your future travels.
Wayne, New Jersey
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We were there during an arctic blast, and we found out first hand how uninsulated the units were. We were freezing inside as well as outside. We had to turn the heat up to 76 just to feel comfortable. That unused room (that used to house the hot tub) was pumping out cold air into the bedroom through a quarter inch gap between the door and the wall. Brrrr. Their check-in practices were a bit questionable -- they actually took my husband's driver's license and credit card, and wouldn't give them back until they had given us their spiel about the timeshare tour. We've gone on enough timeshare tours to know that they have to accept our "no", but we were a little afraid in the meantime. Between that and the old furnishings, we won't be staying there again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Betsy07470
diamondresorts, Manager at The Historic Powhatan Resort, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
While we don't receive many complaints regarding this, the insulation in the units hasn't been adjusted since the property was built and could explain some of the draft. A significant refurbishment project is underway where we are enhancing and updating many different aspects of the resort. It was very concerning to read your impressions of our concierge. We would like to offer our apologies for any dissatisfaction this may have caused you and assure you that we do not advocate 'pushy' sales approach and encourage all guests who feel inconvenienced to contact our reception team. We feel sure that if you do return here, your experience will more than exceed your expectations.
Bristow, Virginia
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Where to begin…… My mother, daughter and myself were excited to get away for a quick girls weekend in Williamsburg. The facility seemed like a perfect fit for our needs. When we arrived the grounds were beautiful. Very clean and well manicured. When we arrived in the lobby we were greeted by a very friendly staff that was eager to help with check in. Our room wasn't quite ready but that wasn't a problem. We were wanting to head to Christmas Town and start enjoying our get away. Before leaving the concierge called us over and said they had a welcome package to give us. Bottom line is they were wanting us to attend their presentation in exchange for 3 free tickets to Christmas Town and and additional free 2 night stay to be used anytime within the next 18 months. Okay, I could do that. After we left the lobby and were heading to another site to receive our tickets I get a call from the concierge. They apologized, seems I didn't qualify for all of these perks because my husband wasn't present. We were a bit disappointed but decided we didn't come down to receive perks. We went to the park and had a wonderful time. We returned back to the resort at 9:00 totally exhausted from out long day on the road then in the park. Just wanting to take a shower, relax and get some well needed rest. Well this is where the real fun begins. Little did we know this would be the most stressful exhausting night ever! We arrived at the front desk and retrieved the key to our room. After finding out building we took all the luggage out of the car and headed to our front door. Low and behold we find on the front deck a plastic bag filled with empty liquor bottles and beer cans. My 14 year old daughter made a comment about we must have missed the party. We opened the door to the shared foyer just to find a big, scary man standing there with his room door wide open, smoking a cigarette. Upon further examination we saw he had a dog in his room. He was just staring at us and mumbled something like Merry Christmas ladies. Mind you he was quite intoxicated. We open our room door and carry our luggage up two flights of stairs. Our room was reeking of cigarette smoke. My daughter is very asthmatic and we knew she wouldn't be able to make it in that room. I called the front office to ask for another room and explained that our room was filled with cigarette smoke. They said that they couldn't help me. I explained that my daughter was not able to stay in that room and that it would be compromising her health. They said that they would send house keeping to our room. I told them our room was clean. It was the smoke. I asked if smoking were permitted in the rooms. They said no, but it was permitted outside. I told her about our neighbor and she said she would send security to handle him. With that I said NO. I truly felt that if our neighbor knew we complained we feared for our safety and we would have to leave the property and find other accommodations. After about 15 minutes she agreed to give us another room. So we grabbed our luggage and loaded it back in our car and headed to the office. We were given a key to a new room in a different section of the resort. PERFECT! We were very happy. We arrived at our new building but noticed that there was a car parked in our reserved parking spot. I really didn't care. I found a spot and once again unloaded the care and made our way to our new building. We opened the door to our shared lobby, but when we tried to open our room door the key didn't work. I tried for 10 minutes to open the door with no luck. UGH! It was 33 stinking degrees outside. By now we were freezing our butts off. So once again we load the luggage back into the car and drive back to the office. (This is now getting pretty old). I explained the situation to the front desk. They said that this was impossible. REALLY!!! They said they would send security over with us to check the electronic door device. It may be a battery. So off we go again with security in tow. When we arrived at the building I explained that I was parking in someone else's spot because I had been takes. (Please don't give me a ticket or anything). He looked at the car in my spot and shined his flash light in the window to check out the parking pass. Low and behold it was issued to the room I had been assigned. Upon further inspection and many phone calls made by security we find out our room was already occupied. Once again we were standing out in the cold for 30 minutes. Lets not forget its getting later and later. So once again they assign us yet another room. Yea!!!! No smoke, no drunk neighbor with a dog and not already occupied!!! BINGO! I must say that our room was very nice and clean. The furnishing were very nice and homey. The next day we were given a free breakfast for our troubles. I was hoping they would have tried to make it right by giving us at least a partial refund. But no. Not even the offer of another night or weekend on the house. I really wish I could say I would like to return for a long weekend. But I really can't. We only live about 2 1/2 hours away. This would be a perfect place for my whole family. But I really don't want to chance anything like this again. I'm not saying this is a bad place. I'm simply saying we had bad luck. I also feel that the staff should be better trained.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Samantha K
diamondresorts, Manager at The Historic Powhatan Resort, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
We value your feedback and appreciate you for it. Please know that it is not typical that our guests would experience challenges such as you did when checking in. We regret that you had such an experience; however, we are glad that you notified our front desk and security team members immediately so that they could take appropriate actions. We sincerely hope that you would be willing to give us another chance to make a better impression on you in the future.