“Beautiful resort!”

The Historic Powhatan Resort
Ranked #23 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed November 28, 2013

We arrrived on Friday afternoon. Checking in was a pleasure. Since we were without our husbands, they didn't pressure us on the time share presentation! The unit had two comfortable bedrooms, livingroom, kitchen, empty room and deck. Clean and comfortable!

Room Tip: ask for downstairs.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank cheryl o
There are newer reviews for The Historic Powhatan Resort

Reviewed November 24, 2013

We have stayed here previously and it's always been an okay place. I asked for an upgraded/renovated place. What we got was a recarpeted place - 172c - that has furniture with holes/scratches, tube television( do you believe it), no shower in the master bedroom, in the 2nd bathroom the same steam shower they had the first time we stayed here (15 years ago) with no steam!! I WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN AND I SUGGEST YOU INVESTIGATE A ROOM BEFORE AGREEING TO STAY IN IT IF YOU CHOOSE THIS PLACE! What a piece of crap place. This unit HAD a hot tub in it; the room is still here but empty! Stuck here till next Saturday!!

Room Tip: Nothing good to say about it!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank NyRondo
diamondresorts, Manager at The Historic Powhatan Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Thank you for your review, we regret to read that you have not been satisfied with your unit assignment and allocation. We are, however thrilled that our management team could relocate you to a more desirable unit as soon as we became aware of your disappointment. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and very much hope that you enjoy your stay with us.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

After driving for 6 hours I was horrified at being herded to the HARD SELL counter. There was actually a woman waiting for me to walk me the ten feet to the other counter. Assuming that this was a service to help me visit the local sights- I was informed that I had an 8am appointment to discuss my time share opportunity. When I politely and firmly said no- I was then told about my “One time” 149.00 three night opportunity. I am tired, dirty and have my companion waiting in the car. - I am in Sales- I would never treat a customer like that. Much less one that is coming for a relaxing vacation.
The property has lovely grounds, and is in a great location for visiting-
The Staff at the eatery were very accommodating and friendly-
So I can not say there is any fault with the property- The fault is with the Managements pressure on their sales associates to "Make that deal" no matter what.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the Condos
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Flanders S
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I stayed here - alone - after a co-worker told me she had some timeshare points to use/lose. The grounds are beautiful; the 2br unit spacious, including flat screen wall mounted tv, deck, fireplace, full kitchen, wet bar, two large bathrooms (one a soaking tub) and nice furnishings.
There is indoor/outdoor pools, hot tubs, tennis, playground, volleyball, mini-golf, etc.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
diamondresorts, Manager at The Historic Powhatan Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent stay here at The Historic Powhatan Resort. We were glad to see our accommodations, amenities, activities, and grounds met, if not exceeded, your expectations. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed November 22, 2013

The resort is located about 10 minutes from Historic Williamsburg and from Jamestown. Yorktown and Busch Gardens are 20-25 minutes away. Very easy to get to where you want to go from the resort. Outlet stores/malls and good restaurants are also 5-10 minutes away. I recommend the Haunted Dinner Theater at Captain Georges restaurant for an evening of entertainment.

Check in and checking out was quick. We were offered the time share presentation, but said no and that was it.

The rooms are dated but comfortable. We were in a two bedroom unit on the second floor; the stairwells are located inside the room. At the bottom of the stairs is a small entry room that is good for storage. The unit is large and easy to move around in. The master bathroom is big but has a small standup shower (no tub) in it. The cookware is pretty old. The room itself was clean with plenty of towels and clean sheets on a comfortable bed. The second bedroom also has lots of room in it. Nice TV in the living area, smaller, older model in the bedroom.

The resort has a Grill that has good food. No disappointment on food, but price of dessert was high compared to other things on the menu. The other restaurant onsite was closed while we were there.

The fitness room is small but has the basics: free weights, universal machine, treadmill, and bicycles. The tennis courts are nice with hitting walls. The outdoor pool is extremely nice with lots of lounge chairs (although it was closed when we were there, they keep it full of water because it looks nice.)

There is an indoor pool where water aerobic sessions are available in the morning. There are also activities at night that takes you through the colonial era house for a fee. Can't comment on them as we didn't do them.

The highlight, of course, is the Historic Triangle which has lots to experience for young and old. This resort is comfortable, quaint, and was a good home base for our activities. Deer appeared every evening to welcome us back.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
diamondresorts, Manager at The Historic Powhatan Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

We are delighted to read that you had a wonderful time at the Historic Powhatan Resort, and we feel sure that the advice and information you’ve provided will be much appreciated by future guests! We hope you’ll consider us for future visits to the Williamsburg area – we’d love to see you again!

Reviewed November 17, 2013

We booked a 2 bedroom condo through Travel Zoo. I wish I had more time than 2 nights. The check-in personnel were very nice. They gave us a lot of information on the area, including some dining coupons. The condo was a 2 bedroom and nicely decorated, and it was clean. The kitchen had everything, coffee filters and small sugar and cream packets. I brought my own coffee but they had some there. There is a dishwasher and plenty of dishes, although we only ate breakfast in our room. There were 3 televisions, so everyone could watch. The only issue was there wasn't free wi-fi but my son used his work phone app to hook us up. You can purchase a wi-fi plan for around $10.00 for 2 days. Williamsburg is a lovely town to visit and I would like to come back. They will ask you if you want to hear a timeshare type of talk, but we just said no. There are security gates so it's safe. I went into the older home on the property because I love historical places.

Room Tip: free parking in front of condo, two restaurants on property, one is being remodeled.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Nango
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for the week as an exchange through RCI. The facility was all that we expected and more than the RCI stars reflected. We had a 2 bedroom unit with full kitchen providing plenty of room for us and another couple. I am not a golfer but I suspect they would be happy with the place. It worked out great for us as NPS travelers as it is close enough to Jamestown, Yorktown, Ft. Monroe and Richmond to take care of south Eastern Va NPS Passport sights. The restaurant on site is currently closed but the Bar and Cafe are going strong. Plenty of facilities including an indoor pool and close enough to enjoy all that Williamsburg has to offer.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family