“Good place, could be better”

The Historic Powhatan Resort
Ranked #23 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I have stayed here before and the quality and cleanliness of the rooms is about average for a timeshare development of this size. We stay here because if it's convenient location. We have stayed in many timeshares and this one is about average in all aspects. I will say that the in-unit hot tubs are a plus for us.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for The Historic Powhatan Resort

Reviewed October 15, 2013

We just recently took a trip here this past Columbus Day weekend. I got a 2 night , 3 day weekend groupon for $159 with a $25 dining credit. It was 2 bdrm, 2 bth. It rained the entire time we were there except the day we left. I went here with my husband and 2 young girls. I was Leary because of the tripadvisor comments. I booked by Diamond resorts over the phone and requested 1 queen and 1 king rooms twice. Once when I booked a month in advance and 3 days before going. Needless to say when we checked in they did not have my request.I had even called the resort itself for the 2nd request. The lady would not give me what I asked for. She said they were fully booked. She said there was nothing she could do which I think was crap. What was the whole point of calling twice to make sure. I'm sure not everyone requested the same thing I did and even if they did why didn't I get what I requested for twice? Also, we requested at check in for a late check out and apparently the lady at the front did not put that in either. My experience with the front desk was not a great one. Not sure why none of theses requests were NOT processed.

The villa was very nice. Very spacious. The furniture was nice except for the couch. It was very worn and uncomfortable. The lamps and baseboards were not dusted. We could not figure out how to put the shower on in the master bathroom. We had to call the front desk. You have to pull the circle on the faucet down. They should tell you that because we had never seen a shower like that before. The water pressure was great. The beds were pretty comfortable. There was a sun room that had no furniture or anything in it. It was very mostly only in that room. It needs to be aired out and they should put some wicker furniture or something in there. It seems pointless. The back patio had cobwebs everywhere. Looks like it hasn't been cleaned in years. The kitchen has all the appliances you need. Toaster, coffee maker, microwave...full size refrigerator and stove, washer and dryer.

We did go to the grill on the grounds. It was empty and were the only ones there. It was overpriced, but the food was decent. There was no soap in the ladies room and I told a lady that thinking she would refill it, but when I tried to wash my hands again it was till empty after 20 mins. We went to the indoor pool. It's nice, but since it rained it was packed. Not really big for that size of a resort. The grounds are big and they have security at the front which is nice.

We had a nice time even though it rained. Wish they had more activities indoor. Nice place, but the front desk and housekeeping need work. The guest services were nice.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room.
Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
diamondresorts, Manager at The Historic Powhatan Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

We are sorry to read that there were certain aspects of your stay you were not satisfied with. With regards to the housekeeping issue mentioned by you, please be assured this will be addressed with the Head Housekeeper. As for your requests, we are sorry that we appear not to have been able to fulfil your needs on this occasion. Unfortunately, with the resort at its full capacity it is not always possible to allocate our members with rooms fully meeting all their requirements. Should there be any alternative solutions available, we assure you that the resort would do all they could to assist you and we regret that on this occasion this was not the case. We hope that you had an otherwise pleasant stay, however, and wish you all the best on your future travels.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

My parents had a timeshare here. I had stayed there 20 years ago. I booked it through a "vacation club" I belong to for my 40th high school reunion. We used to live in the area and had decided to be tourists in our old stomping ground. The location was perfect. The resort is just minutes from Colonial Williamsburg and shopping. The place was clean and well stocked. HD TV had SD service. Lousy picture. WIFI cost $30.00 for the week but they have free computers in the resort lobby. We toured the Historic plantation house. The guide was very knowledgeable about the history of the house. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Before I booked my stay at the Historic Powhatan Resort I have to admit I had some reservations based upon what others have written...In my case - I went off season which always makes for a quiter stay - I checked in late in the evening upon my arrival and did not experience any time share selling pressure and I didnt bother with the welcome package during my stay so avoided any conversation - and enjoyed my stay in the midst of all the history the location has to offer - close to everything.
I found the outdoor pool to be fantastic and a relaxing way to start the day.
I am sure the place needs some updating but wasn't in want of anything while I was there,
I stayed on the second floor to avoid any noises of neighbors and in one of the larger units with a full kitchen.
The tour of the Manor House itself was very interesting and I also suggest catching the Fife and Drummer talk and musical presentaiotn to get you in the spirit of things and talk an evening stroll in nearby Colonial Williamsburg.

Room Tip: If possible - Second Floor Unit
Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Our trip to Williamsburg was enhanced by our stay at the Historic Powhatan Resort where we were able to relax in a 2 bedroom condo, enjoy the indoor pool and hot tub and make a few meals. The service at every part of the resort was outstanding

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Brother in law booked this stay for us, as they are time share owners. We wanted to visit the Williamsburg area and this resort is in a location close to Jamestown and Williamsburg. When we checked into the room, we immediately noticed a broken table lamp on the dresser in the 2nd bedroom. We called the front desk and they said they would take care of it. It is 24 hours later and still no action from them. Guess this follows the previous in-action from management. There was also a burned out light in one of the other lamps. Also noticed that some of the dinnerware in the cupboard were dirty. There are several loose and cracked ceramic tiles on the floor as well as a broken window pane on some odd room that is attached to the patio and bedroom. The furnace cold air return panel is loaded with dust. There is only a shower in the hallway bath and there is mold around the shower door. No shower in the master BR bath, only a tub. You would expect from a resort, of this supposedly high caliber, there would be a shower in each bat. Internet is a subscription service, so nothing free here. There is a patio, but the deck above does not protect it from the rain. You could be sitting there and if the guests spill anything, you would get the results of the spillage as the cracks between the deck boards are going to drop directly on the patio below. The bathroom sink finish was damaged.

We attended their timeshare presentation and were told about the 9 million dollar renovation that Diamond Company was spending on the property, but not apparent to us where they are spending the money. Timeshare guy said that the property was not going to put non-owners in their good units. Makes sense to me. What a great marketing strategy. Book your potential buyers in a unit that needs work, rather than the good ones. NOT...

Unit was quiet enough, until the maintenance staff was walking around in the unit above us this morning. Glad there has not been anyone in the unit above us as it was easy to hear them walking around.

We did eat the the bar and grille and it was very good. Had crab cakes and they were excellent. Fries were OK as was the coleslaw. Had a nice Willamsburg pale ale on tap. Bar staff was great.

Best part of the resort is the location. It is located on the beautiful piece of property. Resort is OK, therefore a 3 rating.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Donn T
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Me and my family stayed here a few weeks ago and had a wonderful time. All of the staff was very polite and helpful. We arrived late on Sunday evening (after 11pm) and they were able to change our suite so that each one of my daughters could have their own bed. The suite was great if you call it that. It was more like a fully furnished apartment. It had all of the amenities of home including baking dishes in the kitchen. The living areas were warm and inviting with tasteful decorations on the walls but not so much to distract you form spending time with your family. The beds were great and the pillows were very soft.

Having two full baths was nice as well. We never had an issue running out of hot water either. The suite also came with a washer and dryer as well. This was kind of an added bonus so we did not have a ton of laundry to do when we got home. They even included laundry soap. My daughters like being able to have their own separate beds. Kind of gave them a little private space in a shared room.

I really liked the DVD rental feature. This way incase you were hanging out with your family in the room you had some entertainment right and ready for you. The selection was good as well with over 300 movies to choose from. We were able to find a movie for each night to be able to sit and watch as a family. They also had board games you could use free of charge. We also got a few of these. We had a blast being able to spent time as a family not in front of a TV for a while or constantly on the go exploring the area.

The grounds were very welcoming. We spent time in the indoor pool and hot tubs. They were not overly crowded which would have kept me away. The exercise room was very nice as well. It had several pieces of equipment so you did not have to wait for others to get off for you to use it. There was also TVs by each of the treadmills and ellipticals. It was also nice to have a full dumbbell set there as well.

The activities were great as well. One night I had a daddy daughter date with my youngest at an outdoor showing of Hotel Transylvania. They had nice chairs setup under a pavilion with one of those giant blowup screens. It was fantastic. Once again not overly crowded so you could not find a seat. The only thing that would have put it over the top was having an old fashioned pop corn machine out there handing out pop corn.

My wife and oldest daughter did the jewelry making class and the haunted manor house tour. They had a ton of fun doing both. each of them made a wonderful bead bracelet and had fun hunting ghosts. They got to use all of the equipment usually used in the professional hunting of ghosts and was shown how to use it correctly. I am pretty sure they actually heard or saw something as well. This tour was a very nice touch.

The location was great as well. From the resort it was a short drive to almost anything. It made our daily excursions very pleasant. We were able to find things to do very close with ease. There is plenty of shopping near the resort and also plenty of attractions to go and visit. There is now even a neighborhood Wal-Mart not even a mile away for you to be able to get groceries for your stay.

Overall this was a great place to stay. I will definitely stay with them a second time!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Mikitus
diamondresorts, Manager at The Historic Powhatan Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

It is with a great delight and gratitude that we read such extensive positive comments - thank you so much for your words of appreciation and recommendation. Ensuring that our guests have a relaxing time here at The Historic Powhatan Resort means the world to us and we are glad that you and your family enjoyed yourselves! We are looking towards your visit and until then, we wish you save travels!