“Was pleasantly surprised.”

Ranked #22 of 75 Hotels in Williamsburg
Louisville
“Was pleasantly surprised.”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

After reading the reviews and them not being very complimentary, I was concerned that my time at the resort would be very unenjoyable. After checking in at 3 a.m. the checkin went flawlessly and when we finally found our room we were very surprised. The room had apparently been renovated, still alot of room for improvement but not a place you could not lay your head and be concerned about being carried away by creatures.
We were hit on by the "concierge" but knowing Mr. Cloobeck's (CEO) issues about high pressure on anything, I was ready and willing to say no. We had toured one of Diamond's properties in Tennessee over last Thanksgiving. We were not even asked to do a tour.
The room could have been a little cleaner, definitely not up to Mr. Cloobeck's standards (there is a 30 minute infomercial running on the tv during your stay to see just what he expects you to expect) we had maintenance in once and they fixed the washing machine and the room was very roomy, at least the dishes and pots and pans were nice and matching not a big hodge podge of left over stuff from a thrft store.
The resort was nice and quiet, the room surprisingly large and more than we could expect.
We will definitely be going to try to stay at this resort again when we go to Williamsburg.

3 Thank Mary S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I booked this room on a Living Social deal and it was a bait and switch. I paid for a two bedroom but all that was available for the entire life of the deal was one bedrooms. I didn't let that ruin the trip and because we had 5 people staying in a one bedroom, they offered a pullout bed. When we arrived, the bed had no sheets. After two attempts, we finally received dry, clean sheets from the laundry. The room was oddly laid out and in bad need of 20+ years of updating. The worst part was that at 10 PM, a security guard knocked on our door and asked us to move one of our cars (we were only allowed one but no one had told us that) to a lot about 1/4 mile away. This was extremely rude and inconvenient at this hour with 3 children under 7. We did it and when we returned, our spot was occupied. We then had to go to the front desk and ask that security return to get the other guests out of our spot. Total and aggravating mess at 11 PM with three kids!
The amenities on the property were very nice, especially the pool area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Miranda H
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Booked this hotel via hotwire and was initially concerned due to other postings about them pushing their timeshare. Well when I got there (while not feeling well as I got sick that morning), they did try to push their timeshare, but when I told them that I wasn't interested as I already had Busch Gardens passes and was there for my girlfriend's b-day, they did let me go, albeit they didn't seem happy. When we got into the room, it was huge with 2 bedrooms, however it was dirty with a couple of what appeared to be bloodstains on the pillows in the main bedroom. Since I didn't feel well, and needed to lay down, we went back to the front desk and they first offered to clean it, but then afterwards changed us to another room. The 2nd room was a little better, although it had a dishwasher with a broken door, and some cracked broken tiles in the bathroom. At least their bedroom was better so we stood with this one. We didn't get any additional calls about timeshares as others have mentioned in their reviews so they did at least respect my wishes on not wanting a timeshare. The furniture there is a bit dated, but I will admit that the outside house look was a refreshing change from the typical hotels. The parking by the rooms though are narrow and somewhat slanted which made it awkward to park late at night if there are a bunch of cars. They also had a business room for internet, which I only used at the end to print out plane tix.

Overall I would say that this hotel is on the right track. It's spacious, has a big area for the pool, has great scenery and plays into the colonial setting while being in good driving distance to good food options and a Target. If I come back out this way and the price is right, I might be willing to give it a second chance.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MICHAEL F
Methuen, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed here 7/21-7/28 as part of a group from MA that travelled to the area for a softball tournament. We had friends that stayed at other resorts that had travelled along with us (unfortunately there were not enough rooms at the other resorts so that we could have stayed all together).

During our stay, there was a MAJOR issue with a water pipe. We had 2 inches of water in our bathroom from overflow of toilet. We cleaned it all up with all of our towels and called the front desk to notify them. When we returned, the bathroom was not cleaned (dirty cup on counter) and no replacement towels. We were told there was a pipe burst and that we would have no water (or low pressure) for just a short time. It was DAYS. All they were offering when we complained was a coupon for breakfast. We couldn't use the kitchen sink, couldn't flush the toilet, couldn't do laundry (water was brown). Just awful.

We will be disputing our charge on our credit card as the resort itself is not being cooperative with resolving this issue.

Very disappointed.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
5 Thank J M
diamondresorts, Manager at The Historic Powhatan Resort, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
We are truly and sincerely sorry that your stay here at The Historic Powhatan Resort did not meet your expectations. We always strive to deliver exceptional hospitality, provide exceptional customer service, and offer quality accommodations at an affordable price to each guest that stays with us. It was very concerning to read that the water pipe issue and dirty bathroom had a negative impact on your stay. In regard to the water pipe issue, the pipe break actually happened outside and was repaired the very same day. We were made aware of the issues with your bathroom, and maintenance was dispatched the next day to replace some of the faucet strainers. Our housekeeping staff will be notified of the issues in regard to your bathroom not being cleaned after the overflow incident occurred, for proper training and coaching. We hope the compensation offered (including a future return stay) to make up for these issues that occurred will help assist with repairing the negative feeling you have of our resort. If you are willing to give us another chance, we are extremely confident that your next stay will be much more enjoyable and even exceed your expectations. We sincerely appreciate your business with us and wish you the best on all your future travels.

Travelers are raving about these Williamsburg hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I booked this resort blindly on Hotwire and was very concerned after reading the reviews. However, I did as most suggested and called ahead of time to ask for a second floor renovated unit. That's exactly what I got at check-in. Thanks to Tripadvisor reviewers, I also knew how to avoid the time share sales pitch...just say no. :-) When I was approached to receive my "welcome packet", I simply smiled and told them "No thank you. I have everything I need." She said, "But you don't want your coupons?" as I was headed out of the door, and I said again, "No thank you." That was the end of that.

The grounds are so peaceful and beautiful I wish I had more time to explore them. We were there for a family reunion so we didn't have much free time. My unit was very clean and well kept. It was a 2 bedroom 2 bath unit. My daughter and I stayed in one bedroom and my parents stayed in another. It was like we each had our own private suites. It was extremely comfortable for the 4 of us. We all wished we had one more day to stay, relax, and just enjoy the property. What I loved about this more so than most hotels is that there was no noise. I didn't hear a peep from the neighbors below or beside us.

The only reason I would be hesitant on coming back is because of the other reviews I've seen. I think that when this property gets consistent with the unit appointments (furniture, updating, etc), it will be a fabulous place! Until then, your unit may just be a lucky break or a trip down old furniture lane.

4 Thank shop4fun
Alpharetta, GA
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Okay, I knew from TripAdvisor that this was a timeshare going in...but the pitch was major pressure. Even when you book through a reputable hotel site, you will spend the first part of your stay defending your decision to not sit through a 90-minute sales pitch while your children are playing video games supervised by total strangers. Then, they will call your room daily to discuss the matter further. The condo was very large and comfortable. However, it was not very clean. I mean, it was surface clean, but the walls were dirty, there was mold in the bathroom, hair on the floor, dried eggs on the spatulas...The previous tenants had left a bag of trash on the porch that sat for a couple of days until a skunk came by and distributed the contents of the bag around the patio. It took a visit to registration in the morning and a phone call that night (after no remedy) to have that addressed by housekeeping. The outdoor pools are great, but very crowded (at least the ones the kids can go to). The best part about the stay was having room to spread out and the neighborhood the "resort" is located in is excellent. Your money would be better-spent somewhere else.

2 Thank OleBets
diamondresorts, Manager at The Historic Powhatan Resort, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
We are truly and sincerely sorry that your stay here at The Historic Powhatan Resort did not meet your expectations. We always strive to deliver exceptional hospitality, provide exceptional customer service, and offer quality accommodations at an affordable price to each guest that stays with us. It was very concerning to read that our concierge staff’s behavior, along with condition of your accommodations had a negative impact on your stay. As we are primarily a Vacation Ownership Resort, solicitation to attend a timeshare sales presentation is part of the check in process. Please be aware that attending a presentation is not mandatory. We will make sure to look into your complaint about the aggressiveness of our Concierge staff, as this type of behavior is not typical for our resort. It is very concerning to read that you your room was not prepared to meet your expectations, nor ours, and that your requests originally were not resolved in a timely manner. This will be dealt with appropriately with our Housekeeping staff. We hope you are willing to give us a second chance and stay at our resort again, as we are very confident that you will be pleasantly surprised at the improvements that have been made since your last stay. Your business with us is sincerely appreciated and we wish you the best on all your future travels.
waynesville
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed at this resort for our vacation to the Williamsburg area. We were not disappointed in any way. We requested and received a second floor renovated unit that was ready early as we had driven in around 1pm. We were never hassled about the time share talk but it was mentioned at the initial check in. The unit was clean, comfortable and beds slept well. The bathrooms were some of the largest we have ever had and everything was supplied in the kitchen down to the salt and pepper and a mixer to make a birthday cake. The pool area was kept clean, towels provided and even had an adults only pool. There were several activities for the kids if you wanted to participate and free equipment for the adults (shuffleboard, tennis, etc). The mini-golf should be a little less expensive for a family ($5 per person) and therefore we chose not to participate in this. Overall, this was a great resort for a home away from home and would definitely not hesitate to stay at this resort again.

Room Tip: Second floor 2 bedrooms, 1 with king and 1 with queen on lake with plenty of room-lakeside drive
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family