“Greensprings Plantation - Very Nice”

Greensprings Vacation Resort
Ranked #32 of 73 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We spent 5 nights at the Greenspring in April 2013. It was a great deal at $100 a night.

I cant say I have many timeshare properties that I can compare this with, but as far as resort and amenities are concerned it had everything we needed.

Location: close drive to everything, not a good destination if you want to walk anywhere because it is far out.

Gym: good equipment, this was the slow season so no wait (especially early in the morning)

Room: we had a two bedroom suite (I think they are all two bedrooms). We asked for a renovated apartment and it was fantastic. Fireplace, spa tub and good bed/linens. Full kitchen too.

We did not want to do the timeshare presentation, so we said no thanks, they did call everyday to ask us if we would go to the presentation and each time we said no. The third day I did finally say we just wanted to enjoy a mini break holiday here and would never do the presentation. They didn't call again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mrs S

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Stay somewhere else if you can afford it. We stayed here at a promotional rate in exchange for hearing sales pitch. Even with the discount the facility was cheap to the very core and barely worth what we paid. Everything from the lack of structure and sound insulation between units to the extremely cheap plastic faucets in the sinks screamed poor quality. People walking above us was like thunder and we could hear them snore at night. Our first floor apartment had mineral deposits oozing up between the baby blue peel and stick vinyl tiles. Countless items were held in place with goops of caulk, paint, or other patch jobs. The carpet was threadbare and smelled from years of guests. The electric fireplace insert was falling inside the poorly assembled plywood filler inside what was once a nice gas fireplace. The dishwasher moved when you pushed the touchpad and had large gaps around it. Most everything in the bathrooms seemed pretty old, stained, and outdated. The appliances seemed newer and appeared to work okay, but the refrigerator was pretty noisy. Lastly the televisions were okay, but there was no HD programming; which is odd for a US facility on the east cost. The sales person said the remodeled units are for "members" but I don't see how the remodel could fix the sound or structure issues not to mention the asbestos popcorn ceiling.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Shibumi365
diamondresorts, Manager at Greensprings Vacation Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Thank you for your comments. We would like to take this opportunity to advise that we are working very hard to ensure that all our apartments are up to date and to do so we strive to renovate as many apartments as possible every year, although we need to note that we can only work on a limited number of accommodations simultaneously.
Also, alongside the refurbishment works we try to improve the general quality of apartments by updating TVs, roofs, appliances, carpets, etc.
We would like to stress that we do not have asbestos ceilings.
We are sorry to read that you were not satisfied with your stay and wish you all the best on your future travels.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

I have been travelling and spending time at timeshares all over the U.S. for over 15 years, and unfortunately I was horribly unimpressed with Diamond and Greensprings plantation. I will give credit where credit was due, the staff at the resort were courteous, friendly, and responded promptly to requests. that being said when I vacation, I do not expect to have to continually call guest services to ask for things that should already be in the room. simple things like spatulas and frying pans. Items such as these in my experience, have always been monitored and readily available in a fully stocked unit. housekeeping/maintenance should have checked the room more effectively prior to our arrival. the kitchen light in our unit only worked half the time, and the door to the washer/dryer was always jammed and took 2 hands to open. But enough of the little things, this is the first resort I have ever been in and found MOLD in the shower. There was also trash on the resort lobby floor for 3 days before anyone picked it up. Based on my first stay with Diamond resorts not only do they not inventory the units, they do not clean them either. to add insult to injury when we went to one of their presentations trying to sell us the Diamond experience we were discussing the unit they wanted to show us, and the sales rep came right out and told us that they stick not Diamond members (RCI) in the buildings that aren't as nice and save the nicer units for Diamond members. well now not only am I insulted by the quality of their resort, do I have to tell them I am not a second class citizen. The Rep asked why I would prefer a third party vendor such as RCI to a Diamond vendor and owner, well your sales rep and my recent experience explained that all on its own.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Dan J
diamondresorts, Manager at Greensprings Vacation Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. At GreenSprings Vacation Resort we understand having accommodations with fully equipped kitchens and in room amenities makes the experience seamless. We are very sorry that you were disappointed with your stay here and would like to sincerely apologize for the housekeeping and service shortcomings you appear to have encountered. We would like to assure you that delivering excellent quality of service and accommodation is the very foundation of our business. We were pleased we could immediately deliver the missing items you requested. Although, we have not received any other complaints of mold, we will certainly make sure that your comments are brought to the attention of our housekeeping and maintenance teams. We would also like to apologize if you were in any way inconvenienced or upset by our sales team. It is our priority to offer all our guests the same level of care and service and we will discuss issues mentioned by you with the representatives you encountered. We do hope that you will decide to visit us again and we wish you all the best on your future travels. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Recently returned from Greensprings Plantation in Williamsburg, Va., and what a beautiful resort. The rooms are spacious and well maintained. There is a fire place and a comfortably sized terrace.We had a 2 bedroom unit which offered all the amenities of home. The resort is ideally located next to shopping centers and is a short trip away from Colonial Williamsburg, and William and Mary Univ.For the racing enthusiast, Colonial Downs is not far away.

Room Tip: 2nd floor, since stairs is the means provided.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 9, 2013

This review will be slightly split in two. The first part will be about the resort and the second will be just a quick comment about the Diamond Resorts International sales pitch that came with it.

The Resort:

The resort itself was nice. I ended up in a two bedroom unit (paid for a one bedroom but it was low-season). The unit was very much like a condo with a full kitchen, 2 full bathrooms (one with a jetted tub...loved it), a separate dining room and a separate living room with fireplace...and a balcony.

The unit itself was nice and clean. I would say the furnishings are dated. Everything had a kind of an "old" feel to it but everything was nice and clean. It could use some updating, new couches and furnishings but that didn't detract for me. It was nice to be in such a large unit and able to cook for myself. The kitchen was great. Came fully stocked with plates and pans. Bring your own spices naturally.

The resort itself is large. It has a nicely sized outdoor pool and a soaking tub. There is also an indoor pool. There is shuffle board, basketball courts and a mini golf course. There are several kids playgrounds scattered throughout the resort as well as some gazebos and porch swings for us older people. While we never partook, they also offered daily activities for both kids and adults.

Overall I found the resort itself to be very nice. it's on a main road which is close to a lot of places to eat and off of all the main roads to explore the area. Check-In was easy and the concierge was helpful. We did have problems checking out. For some reason my reservation disappeared so they couldn't find us to check us out.

I would stay here again. If you want a place with new furnishings in your condo, I would probably look elsewhere. If you want a great place with lots to do with nice sized rooms, than this is a good location.

The Sales Pitch:

I wasn't aware that it was a timeshare location as I booked it via Hotels.com. Maybe it was mentioned somewhere and I didn't see it. I was made to feel that I had to listed to the 90 minute sales pitch (not sure if you have it) but the bonus was we got Busch Gardens tickets for $40. All I'll say about this is...do your research on Diamond Resorts International before going into it if you are doing it. And if you plan on going just for the free gift, make sure you make your point clear once the 90 minutes is up and get out of there. They are sales people so they will push you. 90 minutes turned into 3 hours for us.

Room Tip: Opt for a room close to the pool if you plan on going a lot. The pool is a drive unless you are rig...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RNH82
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed at this resort in a two-bedroom condo for three nights.

The good:
-- Very spacious accommodations
-- Clean
-- Comfortable beds
-- Pretty grounds with several playgrounds
-- The kitchen was perfectly equipped for light cooking

The bad:
-- A living room couch that was so uncomfortable my husband and I could not sit on it for more than 15 mins at a stretch. The chairs were not much better. Really terrible, uncomfortable furniture.
-- Long check-in process even though it was 10 p.m. when we arrived (still forced to visit the "concierge" and decline the time-share presentation, and still received a follow-up call the next evening).
-- Shabby decor, even though we were in a renovated condo. The paint above the shower head was peeling, the walls were scuffed, the upholstery shows wear (in a resort that welcomes so many families, upholstered dining chairs are probably not the best choice).

This does not feel like luxury or even superior accommodation. Just your average vacation rental, for a pretty price. We will try someplace else the next time we visit Williamsburg.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank BEM124
diamondresorts, Manager at Greensprings Vacation Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

We regret to read that you were not entirely satisfied with your stay here with us and believe our apartments to be in need of an update. We would like to assure you that there is an ongoing refurbishment program here in Greensprings Vacation Resort and any existing issues will be addressed. We are glad that you found the apartment spacious and well appointed, however. We apologise for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay and wish you all the best on your future travels.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is a great place to stay, very nice, clean and friendly staff. Its conveniently located (within 10-15 mins) from Busch Garden, Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown Settlement. Lots of activities for kids during the day in case you decide to stay & relax at the resort.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family