“Pleasant, but”

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“Pleasant, but”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The property was comfortable and pleasant with a nice pool area. The service, however, was quite slow and after requesting some ice and after a long wait, we canceled the request. Also, the property is a timeshare property (we were placed there by Expedia not knowing that) and you will be pressured to attend a presentation. I do not recommend that as it is a waste of valuable vacation time and not very well organized.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank GH H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Got to stay at Wyndham Kingsgate thru Global Vacations. had a two bedroom unit for my wife and two grandchildren. Liked the grounds and pool for the grandkids. Unit was clean and comfortable. Could use a lifeguard or more security in pool area. Close to Williamsburg and Busch Gardens.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Blickman
North Carolina
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My family and I stayed at Wyndham Kingsgate in Williamsburg, VA. Our vacation should have been great if not these two things that made me nuts. 1) It was waste of my time (more than 30 minutes) waiting for the member services to deliver my gift. The gift was a journal which can be bought at a Dollar Store. If I've known it ahead of time, I decline the delivery of my cheap gift. Then this lady said that I have to schedule my appointment with member services at Governors Green to explain to me about my equity. She said that they are the CORPORATE that they are the only one who can do it. She wanted me to sign and all the quests to either waive or sign a document relating to equity of my timeshares. She was really pushy and my family and I just checked in and were very tired from a long drive, so we went ahead and had me scheduled the following day of my arrival. As soon as she left, I called the VIP HOTLINE and explain my situation that I did not feel comfortable signing anything that is not in my home resort. VIP Hotline told me that my home resort can do it. This lady was a liar and not deserve to work at this place. The following day, we cannot contact her so, we called member services to cancel our appointment. They asked if we can reschedule, we said no. They 30 minutes that they said it would take can be another 2 hours or more depending how pushy they are to sell timeshares. Even I told them, I'm a VIP Gold member, they would not leave me alone. I felt like these timeshare people are leeches. So beware, decline delivery of gift from member services. 2) The night of our arrival, my family and I ate out and had grocery at Foodlion behind the Outlet Food court. In the morning, I was so frustrated looking for the pots and pans. I opened every cabinets and drawers in the kitchen but still cannot find it. I thought, I was losing my mind. How in the world can pans and pans disappear. All resorts that I've been to, put the pots and pans under the sink or in the cabinets on plain view. My younger daughter found the pots and pans on the LOWER DRAWER of the OVEN.
On the positive side, check in with Spencer was a breeze. He gave us our keys of the unit (3 bedroom lockout) and packaged containing maps and attractions of Williamsburg and the information booklet. He should gave the cheap gift during the check in in order not to waste time. Also, they should not send member services to your unit if you decline and not interested. It should be welcoming if they would offer you cold fruit drink or punch since you just arrived and very tired. The location was excellent. It was close to Busch Garden, Water Country, and Outlet Mall. We paid $15 for our 3 day stay to use their activity center, swimming pool, mini golf, etc. We did not used these facilities because their were too many screaming kids in the pool and hot tubs. The other activities were crowded. I'm glad that my family spent their time at the Busch garden and Water Country. We had dinners at the Peking and Mongolian Buffet beside K-mart and at the Red Lobster. Quiet time was from 10:00 PM - 7:00 AM. The 10:00 PM quiet time is ridiculous since you won't get home not until past 9:00 PM from Busch Garden. Then, you have to shower and eat snacks. 11:30 PM start for quiet time is more appropriate.
However, the unit was well-equip for kitchen utensils and appliances. Make sure to set the toaster at 1 or your bread will burn. The rooms were clean. The safety deposit was in the second bedroom and not in the master bedroom which was weird. Both three bedrooms had king size beds with plump fellows and very comfortable beds. The bedding was excellent. I slept good every night. The master bedroom had its own bathroom with a shower stall. Check out was a breeze also. I gave my keys to the unit and I was ready to go. This place is great for a weekend getaway but not in spending time with crowded screaming kids at the swimming pool. Probably, I would rate this resort higher, if not the aggravation I encountered.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Jaime L
northwest jersey
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The bedroom desk and end tables had not been dustd in quite a while, as I could write my name in the layer of dust that covered the desk and end tables. The living and dining area and kitchen were cleaned properly. THe air conditioning worked well which was a plus for 95 and humid temperatures. They charge a resort fee, which is ridiculous for a room which costs over $200 / nite. Request a ground or 2nd fl level room, as the units are walk ups, no elevator. with three little ones and 5 suitcases we did a lot of hauling. The pool area was not relaxing as a loud outside DJ was playing Karoake for the guests. THey songs were way too loud and the speakers crackled. The songs were rude lyric hip hop and such music. We were shouting over the music and left pool area after 20 minutes. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: unit are walk up so request bottom level unless u like hauling your bags up to third floor. stay aw...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank catmom007
Reviewed July 5, 2013

This is a gated community that looks good from a distance, but BEWARE. It's hard to tell whether the gates exist to keep the trash out ... or to keep the trash IN. The walls are made of cardboard; if a baby cries two doors down, you will hear it loud and clear. Parking is inadequate. If you return to your unit in a common summer thunderstorm, you will walk half the length of a football field to your front door. No elevators. Inadequate trash receptacles; you are told to empty your own, but there is no place to put it! Three bags of trash sat indoors at the bottom of our staircase for three days. The indoor and outdoor pools were not particularly clean; my granddaughter found fecal matter in the parking lot--and it had a troubling human appearance to it. One of the sheets for the sofa bed felt like starched plastic. The little kitchenette does not have so much as a toaster oven in it. Whatever you want to cook, depend on a small microwave or a cooktop that looks to have been designed for a motor home. Worst of all, upon check-in, you will find yourself caught in a laboriously long process--all intended to direct you toward a time-share presentation. Really? REALLY?? This "community" boasts any number of activities--from pools to tennis, even a movie theatre. But there you are, smack dab in the middle of Williamsburg and Jamestown with even the ocean only 30 minutes away. Who wants to avail themselves of such ordinary past-times when the extraordinary is right at hand. Plenty of good places to stay in the Colonial Triangle area. This is NOT one of them! Keep on drivin'...

• Liked — The location is convenient.
  • Disliked — EVERYTHING except the location. YUCK.
  • Stayed June 2013
3 Thank dstclair
Newark, New Jersey
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Spent a week with family including a 6.5 year old boy. Very convenient to Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens and Water Country - at most a 10 minute ride. Lots of restaurants nearby and a K-mart around the corner for any last minute items.

Rooms are set up well with a small kitchen, 2 br, 2 bath, pullout sofa and dining area. Rooms were clean, but do need some updating. Furniture is showing signs of age. There were only heavy drapes on the windows, no sheer curtains to let in light, but maintain privacy - important when your living area window faces another unit. Game room had a number of games, but all had something broken on them. Ample seating and shade at the pool the time we went in the late afternoon. Mini golf was fun and well kept.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank gt8059a
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My husband and I booked this resort months in advance as we had stayed here before some years ago. I was a little hesitant due to some of the reviews but liked the area last time. My husband has allergies so I called the resort twice before leaving home to request a refurbished unit. When checking in I made the request again. We were assigned a unit near the pool area on the first floor. The location was great but when we entered the unit my husband immediately started having a severe allergic reaction due to the dirty stained carpets and other odors. We called guest services and they offered us another unit in the very back on the third floor. We weren't very happy about that but relocated. This unit was much cleaner. Some stains but much better. The rest of our stay was good. The resort staff was very helpful. The resort was booked to capacity so we didn't use any of the amenities except the fitness room. It's a good place to stay if you have small children. The area is nice. Close to Virginia Beach and DC. Not sure if I would stay here again. The grounds are beautiful but units are looking a little worn out.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple